Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn's Leadership Style

Hubbs

Being a Psych major (well, half-Psych major), I can't help but constantly analyze the way the new coaching staff, and specifically Mr. James Arthur Zorn, interact with the players, the management, and other coaches. And I have to say, with my vast 21 years of experience, I can't imagine this team failing because of Zorn. I've been rooting for him since we first hired him as offensive coordinator because of what I read about his creativity (which I believe is a fundamental necessity of anyone who's gameplanning week-to-week) and his ability to ignore stuff that doesn't really matter and maximize the stuff that does. He goes the about his job with what I perceive to be the best philosophy - constantly looking for ways to improve his approach, no matter how different from the current norm.

Some have said that he seems to be overwhelmed by the job because of his press conferences. I strongly disagree. While Zorn isn't what anyone would describe as a model public speaker, he generally answers questions with a level of football intelligence that has been very convincing since his first day with the Maroon, Yellow, and Black. Yes, he's a bit awkward in front of hundreds of people and flashing cameras. But if you actually listen to what he says when he's talking football, he already comes across as one of the sharper minds out of the 32 men currently lucky (and cursed) enough to be the head coach of an NFL team.

Will he make some rookie head coach mistakes? Sure. It's almost guaranteed that, at some point during this season, he'll royally screw up some kind of clock management. He might throw out an unnecessary challenge, or lose track of in-game injuries on defense. But I have an incredible level of confidence that he'll learn from those mistakes as fast as any other head coach - he seems too smart not to. And the more I see of Zorn, the more convinced I am that he has what it takes to be a phenomenal head coach at this level. He has a fantastic philsosophy. I desperately hope that Danny gives him time to make use of it.

Good post.

I agree with just about all of that.

Zorn may seem a bit awkward during press conferences, but you get him talking football and you can visibly see him get more comfortable and animated. Go ahead and take the media darling, I'll take the dork who understands the game and can convey it to his players.

There will be growing pains, but I think innovation will go a long way to earning patience and support. He's off to a good start.

I do agree he seems more than capable. He really is on top of everything and it's refreshing. My only problem is that I feel he says too much in front of the camera. Sometimes I feel like he says things other teams can look at and use to take advantage of us.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but his 'openness' is so refreshing I feel like it's wrong... lol. Anyone else understand?

I do agree he seems more than capable. He really is on top of everything and it's refreshing. My only problem is that I feel he says too much in front of the camera. Sometimes I feel like he says things other teams can look at and use to take advantage of us.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but his 'openness' is so refreshing I feel like it's wrong... lol. Anyone else understand?

I think it's just a reaction to Gibbs. I love the man to death, but he might have been the most tight-lipped coach in the NFL. Compared to him, Zorn telling the media that we need to improve our passing offense seems like America giving nuclear secrets to Iran.

I've watched most of Zorn's conferences on Redskins.com, and I can't remember once thinking, "Wow, he really shouldn't have said that, it'll come back to hurt us." Most of it is painfully obvious information that Gibbs wouldn't say out loud, but everyone knew anyway.

I get what you're saying here, but I think other teams get a lot more from tape than from what a couch says in a presser. I think we're OK there, and I agree that his openness is great as a fan.

What impresses me most about Coach Z, is that immediately, he seems to have earned the respect and confidence of his players.

I wouldn't have been shocked to see this team "reject" an outsider after all they/we went through last year. They haven't. And I think that's 100% because of the honesty, integrity and character of our new head man.

I am highly impressed with this coach. He's already corrected some of Jason's flaws in his mechanics. He's going to open up this offense, and use our weapons -- new and old. And he's the kind of guy who, like Joe Gibbs, you can be proud to have leading your football team.

Hail, Coach. :cheers:

Football intelligence is one thing JZ does not lack. For me, listening to some of the sport talk radio and players talk about Zorn. It kinda puts you in the mind set that these players will rally around JZ and make this work. The coaches are just the mechanics. The players are the tools that make it work.

Do you think he can be a good motivator? I cant get a good read on it.

I think his trust and respect for the players motivates them enough. He doesn't treat his players like children. He treats them like pro's. He's also been in there position, so he knows what works and what does not.

With saying that I agree he may make mistakes and I am sure he would agree, but I am also sure he has prepared himself to take that responsibility.

Overall just by the reading the forums and the main redskins page it seems like everyone on the team wants to go that extra mile and practice hard and show they belong, which is no doubt inspired by our head coach and current coaching staff.

Well, according to Wikipedia. And as everyone knows, Wikipedia is the source of all knowledge.

Certainly. :laugh:

It is James Arthur. Found it a couple of different places, including the Washington Post.

Very cool.

Hopefully Coach Z will be as successfull in burgundy and gold as the James Arthur being duly honored this weekend. :)

Yup, and he's got great hair.

Seriously though, I get the same sense. He reminds me of a young Bill Walsh. Cool, confident, and smart.

I don't think Walsh at all when I watch Zorn. Two different cats entirely, though both are bright. Walsh was a pretty cold, detached personality, different from Zorn who has warmed to his role of answering reporters' questions, taking them seriously and providing substantive responses. Sometimes he'll even point out something that the reporter didn't ask but that is nevertheless insightful.

He's even been joking, at times imitating people to laughs by the reporters. He puts everyone at ease while conveying good, useful information in response to questions.

We're not in the stress of the midseason yet when the team's lost two games in a row and we've got injuries and Jason's had a bad game or something, so it's easy to be relaxed right now, but I do have to say I'm impressed with him.

Certainly. :laugh:

It is James Arthur. Found it a couple of different places, including the Washington Post.

Very cool.

Hopefully Coach Z will be as successfull in burgundy and gold as the James Arthur being duly honored this weekend. :)

Uh oh, I sense a new nickname: JA-Z :doh:

good post! and don't forget, he is well versed on both sides of the ball as you can clearly see by this email that Redskins Radio sent me way back when!:D

newnew.png

not only will we score points, but with this kind of expertise on defense as well...we're going undefeated I can tell!

I really do like coach z from everything I have seen...we wouldn't like hime if he was to "slick" in front of the camera's....he is just a really good guy and driven to compete and win I feel...I am pulling for him and for him to work out for this team...the signs look good in what must be a pretty tough situation to come in to...

Love Blache as well...

In using psychology to measure Zorn~ he is uncomfortable being the focus of so much attention; somewhat bashful. He initally looks the camera or news people in the face and then looks away as not to be perceived as challenging them.

He has come to realize his error on the maroon, black and gold. :D

He will get more comfortable in front of cameras by mid season.:2cents:

As far as knowledge of football~ don't think there is a question there.:point2sky

As far as his sociology eval~ he is a family man; yet his mind is never far away from the improvement of his players. He feels that keeping his players successful and winning is his public statement as a Head Coach and a fuss doesn't need to be made as far as him being head coach - its a job to him and he is going to do his job.

In the pics posted from this past weekend, he is in charge of himself and he communicates well with his players. He smiles allot, which indicates he likes what he does. The smile isn't fake or staged, :2cents:

I think the Redskin Nation has been political for way too long with the communication style of the past; Zorn doesn't have (and I don't think he every will have this communication style~ he'd rather tell you HOW IT IS, vs covering up the obvious. He won't insult our intelligence;) nor the intelligence of the players.

I think when it comes down to it, he is more like a Teddy Rosevelt style~ Walks softly and carries a big stick :laugh:;)

Agreed, he will make errors, but every coach does~ every coach;) ; however, Zorn will be harder on himself than the media, players or fans will ever be on him. That's his style and he isn't about to change that just because he is now a Head Coach for the Washington Redskins.

I support this coach and wish him a 16-0 Season. From what I have read and heard, he deserves all the respect and support we can give him~ for the media is waiting like flies on ___________(fill in the appropiate word of your choice) to FRY him. Why, because he speaks honestly and openly with a frank softness they aren't used to.

The BEST for Coach Zorn :cheers:

Archived