Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harry Potter and the HBP Teaser Trailer

Toe Jam

I hope this is better than the steaming pile of garbage that was Order of the Phoenix. :( Although the books are getting too long to make comprehensive movies about them I think.

You do realize Order of the Phoenix was the longest, followed by Goblet of Fire? Also, Deathly Hallows is going to be split into 2 parts, probably just to have the 2nd one focused on an epic battle.

I do agree though, I haven't really liked any of the movies since the first 2 with Columbus directing them. I understand that the movies need to take certain liberties to account for length and time, but I just did not like the way they sequenced and changed the story. I guess that's just me though. I should have stopped watching the movies after the first 2, or I know people who refuse to see the movies since they don't wnat their perception to change.

I will say though that Goblet of Fire was by far the worst, Order of the Phoenix was ok.

I'm really looking forward to this movie though because I'm interested how it ends up coming. This was a book where DUmbledore just told everything to Harry, there weren't really many quests. Michael Gambon kind of redeemed himself as DUmbledore in the 5th movie, so I'm curious how he winds up doing in this movie, especially since this is also the first time Dumbledore is a principal character. Showing the clips of young Tom Riddle is also intriguing.

They had to make it more "adult" Hell, at this rate Hermione will be in menopause by the time they get this done. They should've knocked this out like LOTR

I'm just glad she'll be legal by the end and I can stop feeling like such a dirty old man. :cool:

I absolutely cannot wait to see the scene with the chalice and the lake of the dead. That is the most vivid, gripping scene in the entire series, IMO. I have envisioned it for so long in my head, I'm really curious if they can do it justice.

I'm just glad she'll be legal by the end and I can stop feeling like such a dirty old man. :cool:

I dunno about you, but I haven't felt dirty about it since April 15, 2008 (she was born in 1990)!

As for cranking them out like LOTR, that would be nice, except for the fact that they keep changing producers, directors, etc.... Also, remember all three lord of the rings movies were filmed at the same time. This is not the case for Harry Potter. It was her intent to ahve them come out yearly, but with the depth of the story and how it has evolved into a darker and "adult" atmosphere, you can't possibly crank one out every year.

I absolutely cannot wait to see the scene with the chalice and the lake of the dead. That is the most vivid, gripping scene in the entire series, IMO. I have envisioned it for so long in my head, I'm really curious if they can do it justice.

I'm going to come out of this movie with tears in my eyes. Is that too ghey to admit? :silly:

I finished the series about 2 weeks ago, and I still find myself wanting more.

Seriously though guys, the movies have gone downhill after the third movie. Wish they could get Columbus or Cuaron that directed the third movie to come back and direct the rest of the movies. Columbus brought the books to life on the big screen and Alfonso Cuaron did more of the same with a more mature feel imo.

They had to make it more "adult" Hell, at this rate Hermione will be in menopause by the time they get this done. They should've knocked this out like LOTR

Except that the kids have to age at least a year between movies.

Seriously though guys, the movies have gone downhill after the third movie. Wish they could get Columbus or Cuaron that directed the third movie to come back and direct the rest of the movies. Columbus brought the books to life on the big screen and Alfonso Cuaron did more of the same with a more mature feel imo.

Honestly, the 4th one is my favorite. My favorite scene out of the whole series is probably the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort at the end of the 5th one too, although the movie overall moved way too slow and they totally screwed up the whole visit to the minitry of magic up until that last battle. The first 3, while great for establishing the story and characters, are boring to me, and the first one is way too corny.

Except that the kids have to age at least a year between movies.

Honestly, the 4th one is my favorite. My favorite scene out of the whole series is probably the battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort at the end of the 5th one too, although the movie overall moved way too slow and they totally screwed up the whole visit to the minitry of magic up until that last battle. The first 3, while great for establishing the story and characters, are boring to me, and the first one is way too corny.

I don't think they did that battle justice as all. First of all, when Dumbledore appears, all of the death eaters become scared, along with Voldemort himself. Dumbledore starts doing away with the death eaters, before turning on Voldemort himself. From the books, it was clear that Dumbledore was the greater wizard and Voldemort was rightfully beaten.

In the movie, Dumbledore comes in, Voldemort matches him equally, and never shows fear. Dumbledore seemingly shows weakness as well to VOldemort's skill. I just did not like how they portrayed them as equals with some fear from Dumbledore, when in the book, it was Dumbledores battle to win.

I thought the 4th movie was the most bland, nothing really seemed to stand out about it. The 5th was somewhat redeeming. I love the first 2 only because they stuck to the book well and started the stories the way they were intended to be. While the 3rd movie was ok, I just did not like how there was a sudden dark theme to it, when there wasn't really a dark theme to the story until the end of the 4th book. I can understand that Columbus may not have been the best director for books 5-7, but he may have darkened it up and matured the movies since he stuck to the tones in the books very well.

I don't think they did that battle justice as all. First of all, when Dumbledore appears, all of the death eaters become scared, along with Voldemort himself. Dumbledore starts doing away with the death eaters, before turning on Voldemort himself. From the books, it was clear that Dumbledore was the greater wizard and Voldemort was rightfully beaten.

In the movie, Dumbledore comes in, Voldemort matches him equally, and never shows fear. Dumbledore seemingly shows weakness as well to VOldemort's skill. I just did not like how they portrayed them as equals with some fear from Dumbledore, when in the book, it was Dumbledores battle to win.

I thought the 4th movie was the most bland, nothing really seemed to stand out about it. The 5th was somewhat redeeming. I love the first 2 only because they stuck to the book well and started the stories the way they were intended to be. While the 3rd movie was ok, I just did not like how there was a sudden dark theme to it, when there wasn't really a dark theme to the story until the end of the 4th book. I can understand that Columbus may not have been the best director for books 5-7, but he may have darkened it up and matured the movies since he stuck to the tones in the books very well.

I hear what you're saying. I think its just a difference in tastes. Having read all the books myself, I like seeing how the movies depart from the source material. I guess for me, I expect them to generally adhere to the story, but if its an exact adaptation then what fun is it? I like to see what the filmakers can do to make it new for me. That's why I liked the fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort. It was closer in the book than in the film, but to be fair the way I read it was Dumbeldore was holding back because he was trying to stay aware of where Harry was and protect him from potential attack at all turns. It was sort of like, "if this is how Dumbledore fights when he's being careful of his surroundings, imagine what he'd do completely unleashed." In that way, I could appreciate the apparent lack of advantage in the fight and still believe that Dumbledore was vastly superior.

But I agree that staying closer to the source material would have been nice in some cases, like the aforementioned battle throughout the ministry of magic. The concept of the spinning room with the different doors, the various things waiting behind those doors and the way that Harry's friends got picked off one by one was much cooler than just seeing them run through the prophesies and then all just get caught and held up. The shot was framed in a way that was entertaining, but the concept felt rushed. Also, I didn't like how Sirius' death was handled in the film and how the arch was glazed over as an afterthought. The same goes for the 4th; I thought there was so much detail that got left out and the approach to Barty Crouch Jr. was all wrong; the book handled that much more gracefully by keeping him a secret and painting him as a victim until the very end whereas the movie was very hamfisted in throwing him out as the villain in the first shot. Still, from a film buff point of view I get the most enjoyment out of the 4th. I love the framing and directorial style in it. Shots like Harry and Hermione talking to each other through the tent flap or the slow reaction washing over everyone at the maze entrance when they realize Cedric is dead. I guess for me I see the books as one version of the story and the films as another version, to be enjoyed in their own right instead of as a visual aid to the books. The first two, espeically the very first one, come across as films targeted to children. I can't connect with the themes or characters in those as well as I can in the later films. Despite them being faithful adaptations of the books, for me at least they do less justice to the entertainment value of Harry Potter than the later films, even if they are truer to the story and have fewer plot holes.

Who has thought that they changed dumbledore for the worst after the first 2 or 3 movies. I have never read the book and thought the Dumbledore used a strong hand with harry, it was always cautious observance with that look of timeless wisdom. They ruined him for me.

Count me in the group that was very disappointed in the movie adaptations of the books. After the hype for the 4th one, I don't care to see any of the remaining films. Now, I love the books, but they just left too much out of the books for the movies to really have much significance. Yes, it's difficult to convert 400+ and 700+ page books into 2-2.5 hr movies, but that's why they just don't live up to quality of the books.

The books are among the favorite books I've read, but the movies rank last or near last of any series of movies I've seen more than one film of (usually if I find one of the movies bad, I wouldn't bother watching any sequels).

Who has thought that they changed dumbledore for the worst after the first 2 or 3 movies. I have never read the book and thought the Dumbledore used a strong hand with harry, it was always cautious observance with that look of timeless wisdom. They ruined him for me.

Well Richard Harris did die. I like Michael Gambon's Dumbledore for the some of the reasons I explained above in support of the later films in the series. I like to see something different from the books sometimes. If it was an exact adaptation, why would I waste my time watching it?

Well Richard Harris did die. I like Michael Gambon's Dumbledore for the some of the reasons I explained above in support of the later films in the series. I like to see something different from the books sometimes. If it was an exact adaptation, why would I waste my time watching it?

It's funny because Gambon's Dumbledore is almost exactly like the one I pictured in my mind while reading the books.

I guess it's all a matter of opinion.

Archived