Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: 'Extreme Makeover' house faces foreclosure

Corcaigh

Imagine getting such a break in life where people build you a $450,000 house at no cost to you. And others provide another $250,000 in scholarships for your kids and funds for home maintenance.

So you turn around and use the new house as collateral for a loan in a failed business venture. :doh:

http://tv.yahoo.com/extreme-makeover-home-edition/show/36736/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20080728:tv_extreme_makeover_foreclosure

I agree if you do not work for it, losing it does not matter cause it didn't cost them anything.

Except the $450k house was built in place of the shack they had. Now they are homeless and so are worse off than when they started.

So charity work is bad?

So the handicap ramp I built last week in Petersburg that cost an elderly woman nothing...I should go tear that down?

Ahem, builiding $450k house for someone is not charity work. It goes above and beyond helping someone live. These people did not need a 450k house, the lady you helped needed a ramp. I fail to see your comparison and find it weak.

Except the $450k house was built in place of the shack they had. Now they are homeless and so are worse off than when they started.

They dug there own grave on this one, they took someone's unbelievable "gift" and ruined it. No pity for them, none. I pity the ****s who put up the money to build this house for these people.

They dug there own grave on this one, they took someone's unbelievable "gift" and ruined it. No pity for them, none. I pity the ****s who put up the money to build this house for these people.

You're right. There are some very angry volunteers who put effort, and cash, into the project.

:laugh:

That is there own fault. At some point they have to deal with the decisions that put them in that situation, and not look for a free hand out. They had the biggest break, and risked it all, and lost. I feel no sympathy for them.

Ahem, builiding $450k house for someone is not charity work. It goes above and beyond helping someone live. These people did not need a 450k house, the lady you helped needed a ramp. I fail to see your comparison and find it weak.

Your original statement was what was weak and I'm pointing out the flaws.

Giving someone something for nothing is not a bad idea in all circumstances.

lmao verbaly pwnd

yes I agree totaly with the quote:applause:

lmao you can't read.

He said giving people something for nothing is a mistake, which is wrong in many many cases.

your point here is much like hon_hog's point in race threads. yeah, you might have a point since he didn't put a disclaimer in. but he's totally right that your ramp is not a good comparison to an almost 1/2 million dollar house and a quarter million dollar scholarship.

your point here is much like hon_hog's point in race threads. yeah, you might have a point since he didn't put a disclaimer in. but he's totally right that your ramp is not a good comparison to an almost 1/2 million dollar house and a quarter million dollar scholarship.

Of course its not.

Its a ridiculous comparison, the point of which was to demonstrate the over generalization that SO made.

Say that this was too much for a family with no financial education fine.

But don't tell me giving other people something and expecting nothing in return is a bad thing in general.

Imagine getting such a break in life where people build you a $450,000 house at no cost to you. And others provide another $250,000 in scholarships for your kids and funds for home maintenance.

So you turn around and use the new house as collateral for a loan in a failed business venture. :doh:

http://tv.yahoo.com/extreme-makeover-home-edition/show/36736/news/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20080728:tv_extreme_makeover_foreclosure

Is there a version of the Darwin awards for stupid people that haven't managed to kill themselves yet?

Of course its not.

Its a ridiculous comparison, the point of which was to demonstrate the over generalization that SO made.

Say that this was too much for a family with no financial education fine.

But don't tell me giving other people something and expecting nothing in return is a bad thing in general.

like i was saying, some things can go without being said. of course it's not a bad thing to build a handicapped ramp for an elderly woman and expect nothing in return.

just like if you say that some racists might be offended / mad / driven to do something stupid if obama wins, that doesn't mean you're saying that only whites can be racist.

So charity work is bad?

So the handicap ramp I built last week in Petersburg that cost an elderly woman nothing...I should go tear that down?

Yes b/c she's just going to go out and by a new pair of mechanical legs that are hard-wired to her computerized brain anyway. She doesn't need your stupid ramp. :silly: j/k

I can't name a single family member or friend that has ever put a lean against their home for a business venture. Not a very smart thing to do especially if you're formally known as an "almost homeless" family prior to that miracle of gift called a roof over your head...or in their case, a "mini-mansion" over their head. Stah-stah-stah-stoooopid. Gosh that's very frustrating to hear. Imagine all of the people that helped them out. I put a lean against my first new truck bought by my grandparents when I was about 19 years old [for graduating elementary school], and I had to get help to pay the lean off to get the title. Lesson learned, and you can bet your sweet ass I'd never put a lean on my home if I owned it free and clear unless a family member was dying of cancer or something and we couldn't get the money together or insurance issues or whatever. Outside of that type a' deal, why in the world?... The dude could have started a landscaping company for less than $20,000. Some people you just want to....Uggggghhh!!!!

Maybe I'm overreacting but from what I just read, it sounds like they were super irresponsible. :2cents:

Archived