Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the longest book you've ever read cover to cover?

renaissance

For all of you fantasy novel readers - try Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. There are (I think) 11 books out with the final coming out next year. As good as George R.R. Martin - just as detailed with multiple story lines and numerous characters, but a little easier to get into.

Jordan's books tend toward the large page count categories. George RR MArtins books do as well. With the good books I don't care. I want the book to just go on and on. I want to lose myself in the story, and I don't want it to end.

The book that felt the longest for me to read was The Fountainhead. I was fascinated by the book. I was determined to read something portraying the working of a mind so opposite how I think. I hated all of the characters in the book. It was like being forced to spend time with people to whom I was wishing bad things would happen. It was like watching Seinfeld with less humor.

I don't get all the love for The Stand by Stephen King. I've read it and frankly found it boring.

I will second Predicto's recommendation of The Amulet of Samarkand. I'm currently reading the third book in the series to my son. Not as good as the first two, but still OK.

• 8 months later...

Shoot, I don't know.. if the Stand is 1400 pages, that one will rank up there.. trilogies take up a lot.

I just finished a nice 850 page novel called "The Terror" about an ill-fated arctic expedition in the 1840s searching for the Northwest Passage. Interesting book.. very historically accurate, the Erebus and Terror were two ships lost on an expedition, all the crew died, and resorted to cannibalism when the survivors tried to leave the Arctic on foot.

That much was historically accurate,, but then the author (Dan Simmons) threw in a giant angry Eskimo Bear-God thing on the ice killing and eating everyone... and it was a pretty nifty book. I enjoyed it.

I'm typically a slow reader, too Ren, so don't feel bad. I usually only have time for a page or two per day anymore. Takes me forever to get through a book it seems. I went through "The Terror" in about 3 weeks, though. That one was pretty good.

~Bang

Sci Fan fan that I was,I bought Battlefield Earth,(before I knew about the author and such). Paperback version so it was needless to say,n 0ver 1000 page book. Same for Executive orders. Little over 1300 pages on that one.

For all of you fantasy novel readers - try Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. There are (I think) 11 books out with the final coming out next year. As good as George R.R. Martin - just as detailed with multiple story lines and numerous characters, but a little easier to get into.

Both excellent series. I wish Jordan hadnt passed away befoore the series was complete though.

I just started an intersting series, Eric Flint's 1632. The books arent long by themsleves, but there are many in the series.

premise: a 2001 WV mining town suddenly get dumped smack into 1632 germany in the middle of the thirty years war, with most of their town's modern items (guns, machine shops, etc)

Team of Rivals by Dorris Kearns Godwin. I think it was around 750 pages. By far the best nonfiction book I've ever read, and I've read some good ones.

Also Read A conspiracy so Immense, the World of Joe McCarthy by David Oshinski. I forget how many pages, but it was a slow read.

Currently reading Franklin Delano Roosevelt: Champion of Freedom by Conrad Black. Not sure how many pages, probably around 900. Black's writing style is dull, almost dictionary like. But if you ever want to know when FDR's college rommate's cousin got his first pube, it's probably in there.

Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas...This one took awhile to read, but was good.

Great Expectations - Charles Dickens. When I was younger, I really wanted to read all the "great works" so I read this one in 7th grade. I didn't understand a damn word but I was determined to finish it. I read it again in 12th grade...made much more sense.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is pretty hefty too I suppose, I've read that 4-5 times.

Archived