Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's the longest book you've ever read cover to cover?

renaissance

Great Expectations, which I read in 7th grade and didn't understand a word of. I re-read it in 12th.

The Canterbury Tales, which is over 600 pages written in an olde English style.

I've read a lot of classics, not all of them long, things like The Odyssey and The Illiad, combined works of Kafka, Siddartha, Candide, Moby Dick, etc...but nothing recently, I stopped reading for the most part a few years ago, not sure why.

If we're going by series, I read the entire 58 original Hardy Boys books when I was in 3rd/4th grade, and since they're all exactly 190 pages or so, that's at least 11,000 pages worth of Franklin W. Dixon's finest literature.;)

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. 1168 pages.
My favorite book is Shogun by James Clavelle - I've read it about 5 times now I think. Its 1100+ pages. I also read another one of his that I didn't like as much - King Rat maybe? I can't remember...it was a similar length.

those are probably my two longest. all of clavelle's books (except king rat) were pretty damned long. great reads though.

i've read atlas shrugged three times so far (once as a teenager, once in my 20's, and once in my 30's). the last time was the first time i read the entire book (i skipped galt's radio address the first two times).

i also read steven king's dark tower series straight through... even though each book isn't totally a killer in terms of length, the sum number of pages is considerable.

The extended Stand, followed closely by It. However, when I finish Infinite Jest, it will be the longest. Page numbers are about the same as the Stand but the font size is like 10 pt and printed practically to the edge of the page, not to mention the dude who wrote it uses little punctuation or paragraph breaks, resulting in sentences spanning several pages in some cases. And the last 300 or so pages are foot notes and references that play into the story in important ways and require reading as well, but they are in an even smaller font. All in all, it feels like it might as well be a 3000 page book.

Burr by Gore Vidal.

Okay. So it was a relatively short book. But it read like something around the 1000 page area. And that was just the first 100 pages or so. :)

Like others, have read several in the 800+ page area. Last one was Clancy's Executive orders.

Martin's Game of Thrones (the first book in the fantastic Song of Ice and Fire series) is indeed top notch. Just make sure you force your way through the first couple chapters. Martin uses an immense number of characters, and it takes a little while to get going.

I actually gave up on it the first time I read it (and I never do that), and only went back when others strongly recommended it. I'm glad I did.

The Stand, the entire Harry Potter Series, just finished The Pillars of the Earth - excellent book, btw.

It's World Without End, I just ordered it since I enjoyed the first so much.

Hat's off to you Rand readers out there, I've started Atlas Shrugged about 3 times now, haven't made it past 60 or 70 pages, always find something more "fun" to read..... :notworthy

Yes - thanks - World Without End, which is also very good. I'm kind of hoping he writes another one... The Harry Potter series is excellent as well. I'm on the last one as we speak.

I've read all of the Harry Potter books. Although they are very long, they go really quickly.

Currently, I'm reading The Thousand Nights and One Night, also known as the Arabian Nights (translated by Mather). I think the total number of pages comes to around 2,300 and the text is kind of small, too. This one's going to take me awhile.

Man you guys make me feel lazy as hell!!

Oh well, I read like 5 more pages on the metro this morning:cool:

haha. two years ago i think i read about 105 books for the year, taking the weekends off. last year it dropped to about 80 books.

so hows that lazy feeling now ;)

I've just finished reading these, my uncle had them in his apartment and i picked one up one night and couldn't stop. churchill is the man.

Also read War and Peace for a class at school.

Winston Churchill's Six Volume History of the Second World War.

http://www.amazon.com/Second-World-War-Six-Boxed/dp/039541685X/ref=pd_sbs_b_4

Churchill was to the English language what Keyra Agustina is to buttocks - the greatest ever.

Archived