Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn's Comment On TC Performance..huh??

zCommander

Heard on the news radio this morning that Zorn said concerning TC performace is that he is going up against the 1st defense more so then any other QB.

I thought JC would be the one going up against the first defense more so as he is the starting QB. Why would JC be going up against a "softer" so to speak defense. It didn't make any sense to me.

Anyone has an idea why this would be?

its hard to learn a new offense when the defense has been cohesive for years now. With a softer defense, this allows the plays to develop and see what is supposed to happen when everything goes right. Once they see how it works they can then work it in with 1st team Defense and work at it until its perfect.

its hard to learn a new offense when the defense has been cohesive for years now. With a softer defense, this allows the plays to develop and see what is supposed to happen when everything goes right. Once they see how it works they can then work it in with 1st team Defense and work at it until its perfect.

Sounds good to me! :cheers:

Which news radio? Do you have a link?

From today's WP article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/28/AR2008072802674.html

Collins has appeared frustrated throughout camp. He has struggled to connect with receivers downfield and often seems to go through his progressions slowly as if he is unsure about the receivers' routes. Zorn has pushed Campbell publicly and privately to raise his level of play, saying he wants Campbell to continue to work on his mechanics and play faster, but he seems to have taken a gentler approach with Collins.

"Todd's got a little bit different factor to deal with," Zorn said of Collins's struggles to this point. "He's also dealing with the backup offensive line against our first defense, more often than any of the other quarterbacks, so that's one of the things.

"Secondly, we've got younger guys in with him and they're all learning. The thing that I love about Todd is he's very competitive. He wants to do it right. He knows what's he's doing. Sometimes things they don't happen for him down the field."

But Collins should show significant improvement in the offense "as he gets into the game with some of the more experienced players," Zorn said. "I see him as doing his job. I don't see him having bad days as much as just having frustration for lack of execution down the field."

Correct me if I am wrong but TC is also learning this new offense as well. Is it because TC has been playing for sooooo long that he is better at reading the defenses.

I don't know... there is an article from the paper about how Zorn is babying Collins and protecting him from the media. I think this is one of those instances where he's trying to get people to be patient with Todd.

I think it's just Coach speak in defending his player, more than JC not having to go against stiff competition.

I'll go with this as well. Back in HS the 1st team D went against the 2nd team O all the time and vice versa. Once the O was running smoothly the 1st teams played each other.

Is any other fanbase as stressed about the performance of their Back-Up QB in a new offense at this point in training camp? Is that even normal?

Hopefully he won't even get a whiff of the field this year anyway. I'm much more concerned about how JC and Colt are doing. They are the future.

I don't know... there is an article from the paper about how Zorn is babying Collins and protecting him from the media. I think this is one of those instances where he's trying to get people to be patient with Todd.

I think it's just Coach speak in defending his player, more than JC not having to go against stiff competition.

you can't be patient with Todd,... he's like 34 years old.

if he can't learn a new system you gotta get a veteran back up that can.

From today's WP article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/28/AR2008072802674.html

Collins has appeared frustrated throughout camp. He has struggled to connect with receivers downfield and often seems to go through his progressions slowly as if he is unsure about the receivers' routes. Zorn has pushed Campbell publicly and privately to raise his level of play, saying he wants Campbell to continue to work on his mechanics and play faster, but he seems to have taken a gentler approach with Collins.

"Todd's got a little bit different factor to deal with," Zorn said of Collins's struggles to this point. "He's also dealing with the backup offensive line against our first defense, more often than any of the other quarterbacks, so that's one of the things.

"Secondly, we've got younger guys in with him and they're all learning. The thing that I love about Todd is he's very competitive. He wants to do it right. He knows what's he's doing. Sometimes things they don't happen for him down the field."

But Collins should show significant improvement in the offense "as he gets into the game with some of the more experienced players," Zorn said. "I see him as doing his job. I don't see him having bad days as much as just having frustration for lack of execution down the field."

Putting TC against with 1st defense is anything but being gentle with all the new guys still learning.

Is any other fanbase as stressed about the performance of their Back-Up QB in a new offense at this point in training camp? Is that even normal?

Hopefully he won't even get a whiff of the field this year anyway. I'm much more concerned about how JC and Colt are doing. They are the future.

I think you missed my point. I am saying it is JC who should be going against the 1st defense and not TC.

I think Zorn's point is that JC faces the first team D with the first team Oline in fron of him. TC has to play behind the second team Oline which might make things tougher than if he had the starters in front of him. Just coach speak to protect his backup QB. Don't be surprised if another backup QB is signed should Collins not play well on Sunday.

The reason the 1st team O goes against the 2nd team D, and the 1st team D goes against the 2nd team D most of the time is because it's practice...In practice you are just trying to get a look and develop rythmn, cohesion, and consistency and confidence...If your going 1's vs. 1's all the time you wouldn't be able to get the proper looks you need while installing or fine tuning an offense/defense...

WTOP news.

Sorry no link available for live news on the radio. :silly:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Okay, got me there! But there is a written article below~ sounds like the media is duplicating their "sports news" :D

I don't think Zorn is protecting anyone, I think he is challenging all his qbies and when the reporter questioned him on this~ he is giving what happened on a specific day or week.

Nothing to get excited about or read anything into...............

Zorn can handle the media:D

The reason the 1st team O goes against the 2nd team D, and the 1st team D goes against the 2nd team D most of the time is because it's practice...In practice you are just trying to get a look and develop rythmn, cohesion, and consistency and confidence...If your going 1's vs. 1's all the time you wouldn't be able to get the proper looks you need while installing or fine tuning an offense/defense...

Exactly. I always hear that 1st team O goes against 2nd team D and vice versa.

The reason the 1st team O goes against the 2nd team D, and the 1st team D goes against the 2nd team O most of the time is because it's practice...In practice you are just trying to get a look and develop rythmn, cohesion, and consistency and confidence...If your going 1's vs. 1's all the time you wouldn't be able to get the proper looks you need while installing or fine tuning an offense/defense...

Corrected the typo for you there. :silly:

I totally understand and agree with what you are saying here. I guess I am use to the saying "more you practice the better you get at doing something." The fact Zorn said TC is going up against MORE then other QB is where my problem still lies. It should be the STARTER getting more reps against the 1st D and not the backup QB.

im pretty sure everytime i heard the first team D being on the field they pretty much said it wasnt even the first team and that they had like 4 starters in..but i dont really remember what offense they were going agains probably jason, just saying.

after reading into it, def seems like collins went against 2nd teamers and rookies (even getting picked off by chris horton twice on seperate days) as much as he did the first team defense when it came down to 9 on 9s and 11 on 11s. not trying to say anything just how zorn backing him up isnt fully believable

Archived