Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Do You Stop the Redskins?

McD5

Hi all....hopefully a fresh idea to pass the offseason before we kick some ass.

This is in response to a poll put up long ago, by a well-respected poster who felt that our team really didn't need to draft many starters, but instead, that we really just needed depth.

So....I put myself in the shoes of other teams....to try to get an unbiased view about how good our Skins really were last season, and how we may have progressed.

So.....for the purposes of this thread.....think about it this way.

To beat the Vikings......simple right? Stop AD, stack the box, make the weak qb throw.

To beat the Cowboys....not so easy. Have to respect the run somewhat, have to cover TO, keep an eye on the tight end, and have to watch out for pressure from the D...specifically Ware.

To beat the Giants.....stop that insane pass rush. Stop that running game. Respect the wide receivers. Well-balanced, multi-dimensional team.

So...you get the idea.

Now, how do you stop the Redskins?

Put a few extra guys in the box, and stop Portis around the left side.

What else?

Worry about JC hurting you? No....no need to worry about that last season.

Worry about our WRs? Again.......no. No concern there.

Pay some attention to Andre Carter, even double-team......but worry about any significant pass rush from anyone else? No....no worries there.

Worry about throwing against Carlos when healthy? Nope.

Respect Springs a little......but after ST passed away, really no worries on the defensive side of the ball.

While we love our players because they are our players......in contrast to the "we need depth" post, we could really use new starters nearly across the board.

Aside from Landry and Cooley, and those mentioned above.....we really don't strike any fear into opposing teams. We really don't pose too many problems.

Now I belive the addition of the new WRs helps that somewhat.....as long as the o-line holds up from injuries, and we have the time to develop them.

But what threat do we really pose to anyone?

How do you beat the Redskins? And more importantly, how do we improve to make it more difficult?

:logo:

We were competitive with all but one team last season. How we are we supposed to believe the perceptions as valid from someone who thought Betts would rush for 1700 last season?

People are still a little unrealistic as to what threats we pose. And the caliber of our personnel.

So....if you are playing the Redskins....what do you worry about?

Who actually scares you on the Redskins if you are an opposing team?

Anyone besides Portis?

Or do we need severe upgrades?

People are still a little unrealistic as to what threats we pose. And the caliber of our personnel.

So....if you are playing the Redskins....what do you worry about?

Who actually scares you on the Redskins if you are an opposing team?

Anyone besides Portis?

Or do we need severe upgrades?

And yet your perceptions are realistic? Please. Your insane man crush for Betts and what you write about him shows your perceptions are anything but reality.

If you play the Skins you worry about being able to score on a top 10 D, and you worry about CP, Cooley, and Moss.

We were competitive with all but one team last season. How we are we supposed to believe the perceptions as valid from someone who thought Betts would rush for 1700 last season?

:owned:

McD, in all actuality the offense will be bigger and much less conservative this year. Don't look for a run, run, pass, punt situation. This will keep our D off the field that much longer and will allow them to be fresher as the game/season goes on.

Running for it on every 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 last season killed us. I respect what Gibbs did for the organization during his second tenure here; however, his lack of aggressive play calling stalled our offensive production big time.

Therefore, this thread is pointless because we really have no idea what our new offense will do. Wait until mid-season to make this thread. We'll have a much better idea.

On a side note: are you a scout for the Cowboys? I mean seriously, you really don't like the Redskins.

:owned:

McD, in all actuality the offense will be bigger and much less conservative this year. Don't look for a run, run, pass, punt situation. This will keep our D off the field that much longer and will allow them to be fresher as the game/season goes on.

Running for it on every 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 last season killed us. I respect what Gibbs did for the organization during his second tenure here; however, his lack of aggressive play calling stalled our offensive production big time.

Therefore, this thread is pointless because we really have no idea what our new offense will do. Wait until mid-season to make this thread. We'll have a much better idea.

On a side note: are you a scout for the Cowboys? I mean seriously, you really don't like the Redskins.

Oh I def think getting rid of Gibbs, and bringing in Zorn was the best thing we did this season.

Now it is just a question of whether we have enough threats to implement that system.

And yet your perceptions are realistic? Please. Your insane man crush for Betts and what you write about him shows your perceptions are anything but reality.

If you play the Skins you worry about being able to score on a top 10 D, and you worry about CP, Cooley, and Moss.

So are CP, Cooley and Moss enough to do it? I doubt many worried about Moss.

Or do we need an overhaul?

Umm, I would imagine most teams, if they have threats at RB, TE, and WR, have "enough to do it." Moss is a threat, which is why he gets double-teamed every game.

If you think the Skins need improvements in certain areas, that's fine. But try actually making legit arguments instead of just trying to spit out hating nonsense. If you can't even realize the stupidity in thinking a team that is returnig all its starters from a playoff team needs a complete overhaul, then there really is no hope for you.

This is how I would play the Redskins.

When the 'skins are on offense: 8 men in the box. I'd throw my best pass rushing end over Jansen on any passing down. Have my best corner shadow Moss and (with some help deep) and do my best to lock Cooley down. Thomas and Kelly I wouldnt worry about and I would let ARE get his. I'd figure that Portis was going to do some damage, but he'll be marginalized with 8 in the box, and Jansen wont have a prayer of blocking my DE on passing downs.

When the 'skins are on defence: I'd throw early and get them off the LoS. depending on who I have for a LT I might throw some help out there but if I have a quality guy, I'll take my chances with him on AC. If the Redskins com out giving my guys a cusion, I'd figure I'd have a field day passing the ball and take advantage of that going with alot of short and intermediate routes. If I can contain AC I figure I'm going to have all day to find a guy. Then I'd test the left side of the skin's line running the ball. Griff, Daneils and Washinton have all seen their production drop, are getting up there in age and all coming off injures. The side of Carter, Montgomery and Mcintosh looks to be tougher to go aganst and unless I had serious talent at both guard and tackle over there, I'd avoid that side.

Umm, I would imagine most teams, if they have threats at RB, TE, and WR, have "enough to do it." Moss is a threat, which is why he gets double-teamed every game.

If you think the Skins need improvements in certain areas, that's fine. But try actually making legit arguments instead of just trying to spit out hating nonsense. If you can't even realize the stupidity in thinking a team that is returnig all its starters from a playoff team needs a complete overhaul, then there really is no hope for you.

I don't think we need every single player gone.....I believe we have a few that are top notch, as noted.

But to think that a wild card team doesn't need some improvement would seem to be setting one's goals and expectations depressingly low, yes?

Unless the goal is a wild card.......we have some work to do.

I understand some get upset at that realization........but it isn't hating, sheesh.

This is how I would play the Redskins.

When the 'skins are on offense: 8 men in the box. I'd throw my best pass rushing end over Jansen on any passing down. Have my best corner shadow Moss and (with some help deep) and do my best to lock Cooley down. Thomas and Kelly I wouldnt worry about and I would let ARE get his. I'd figure that Portis was going to do some damage, but he'll be marginalized with 8 in the box, and Jansen wont have a prayer of blocking my DE on passing downs.

When the 'skins are on defence: I'd throw early and get them off the LoS. depending on who I have for a LT I might throw some help out there but if I have a quality guy, I'll take my chances with him on AC. If the Redskins com out giving my guys a cusion, I'd figure I'd have a field day passing the ball and take advantage of that going with alot of short and intermediate routes. If I can contain AC I figure I'm going to have all day to find a guy. Then I'd test the left side of the skin's line running the ball. Griff, Daneils and Washinton have all seen their production drop, are getting up there in age and all coming off injures. The side of Carter, Montgomery and Mcintosh looks to be tougher to go aganst and unless I had serious talent at both guard and tackle over there, I'd avoid that side.

The first intelligent response in this thread......ty for reading the topic.

I don't think we need every single player gone.....I believe we have a few that are top notch, as noted.

But to think that a wild card team doesn't need some improvement would seem to be setting one's goals and expectations depressingly low, yes?

Unless the goal is a wild card.......we have some work to do.

I understand some get upset at that realization........but it isn't hating, sheesh.

Never said they didn't need any improvements, so don't put words in my mouth. Just said acting like they need an overhaul is absurd, which it is. A wild card team does need improvements, they typically do NOT need an "overhaul."

We did have some work to do, and we've done it in the offseason and draft, just like every other team.

What realization? That someone who's whole motif on here is to leg-hump the **** out of Betts, and trash any player and coach who doesn't give him a shot is full of crap and is never objective?

You're welcome.:)

I thought it was pretty interesting, BTW. In all honesty the guys who follow the team as close as we do might have a better idea on how to stop our team than guys that have a week to go over film might. We might not be coaches, but we do know our players better than anyone but our coaches.

Oh I see. So only the posts that agree with you are "intelligent". Give me a break. You pull this self-serving BS all the time, where you only applaud those agree with you and act like anyone who doesn't is stupid. Pretty big cahones given your sig. Ever stop to wonder why your threads constantly are rated 1-2 stars?

Oh I see. So only the posts that agree with you are "intelligent". Give me a break. You pull this self-serving BS all the time, where you only applaud those agree with you and act like anyone who doesn't is stupid. Pretty big cahones given your sig. Ever stop to wonder why your threads constantly are rated 1-2 stars?

Yes, that was the first intelligent response in the thread. Someone that actually read the topic.......and answered the question.

Newsflash: That is typically what you are supposed to do in a thread.

Or....we can just bash anyone who might raise good, albeit tough questions.

We certainly have plenty of that.

Nice contribution Elkabong......A+ for consistency. :applause:

Yes, that was the first intelligent response in the thread. Someone that actually read the topic.......and answered the question.

Newsflash: That is typically what you are supposed to do in a thread.

Or....we can just bash anyone who might raise good, albeit tough questions.

We certainly have plenty of that.

Nice contribution Elkabong......A+ for consistency. :applause:

And if someone raises a valid question, I answer it. The thread title posed a vaild question, the drivel inside it was just bias-filled crap, much like your poll thread recently.

You honestly expect that when you say something like "The Skins need an overhaul" that nobody is going to debate you on that, and just stick to the topic? Give me a break. Like I said, your schtick is tired and old.

So how do you stop the Skins?

Before I would have said stack the box, double team Moss, and have the MLB and a safety drop into zone if it is pass to neutralize Cooley in containment.

Now, who knows? We don't know what to expect out this WCO. Instead of arrogantly dismissing 2 rookie WRs with potential as Mornenblade, you actually do have to consider every weapon we have.

However, the real reason people can't actually respond to this is because none of us have seen Zorn's offense, so none of us truly know it's strengths and weaknesses yet. Just like your poll, it seems your true motive is hate, rather than genuine discussion, as both topics can't truly be discussed as we have yet to see the product.

From another teams standpoint I would...

Offensively, pass, pass, and pass. We are weak at the CB position and the Redskins would typically get killed by WCO teams IMO. Our pass rush has been weak and Gregg Williams would blitz a lot to make up for it.

Defensively its hard to say now with the new weapons. I think I would blitz a lot agaisnt the still young and growing JCam. He made a lot of mistakes in terms of pocket presence (ie. fumbles). I would wanto be in his face all day to make poor decisions.

But who knows.

There you go elka...much improved.

Thanks for making an attempt to have an open mind.......even if it was cluttered in bashing.

I could say the same to you.

Seriously though, you couldn't have just stuck to "How Do You Stop the Skins" and then given your game plan? You are the one who started it off with over-the-top bashing. The team's performance last season directly contradicts your perceptions of them in this thread. Is it really that difficult for you to be neutral in a football discussion? You had a shot at creating some genuine discussion, but instead filled it with a bunch of nonsense about the team needing an overhaul.

You doubt many worry about Moss? That's pretty ridiculous considering he can beat any CB in the league in single coverage, and we've seen what he does when double-teamed. And while they're just rookies, Kelly, Thomas, and Davis should all be pretty damn good if they play to their potential.

The Skins don't need an overhaul, your thought process does.

Archived