Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

ABORT.

You are probably just missing the cap on the wire from the battery(or knocked it off)

Either put some plastic bags or rags first or find the cap....or it could get interesting

The sparks are coming from the alternator, and with nothing touching the battery, only contact with the alternator.

So, you're saying if the caps ( I assume you mean the ones on the terminals ) are missing on the alternator, it will cause sparks to fly from the alternator ?

Edited by Mickalino

How do you think the alternator recharges the battery if there isn't a connection between the two?
The single large diameter wire is connected directly to the battery yes

It's all beginning to come together, my friends :) :idea:

Edited by Mickalino

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back.....I guess I'm high maintenance....literally :)

I noticed that my tailpipe broke off of the connection to the muffler, and I can't push it in by hand to where it stays there.

Since it's the pipe on the back end of the muffler, and there's no further emissions as part of the end that broke off, is it necessary that I get this repaired right away ?

The exhaust isn't any louder than usual, seems the main difference is the muffled exhaust is exiting directly from the muffler, and not the end of the tailpipe.

A friend of mine said the main concern is it raises the possibility of emissions seeping from under the car into the crevices inside the car, and possibily poisoining me. But since it's Summer and I have no A/C, I keep the windows down while driving - does that reduce that risk ? And are there other risks ?

A friend of mine said the main concern is it raises the possibility of emissions seeping from under the car into the crevices inside the car, and possibily poisoining me. But since it's Summer and I have no A/C, I keep the windows down while driving - does that reduce that risk ? And are there other risks ?

Your friend is right, carbon monoxide poisoning is no joke. Get that thing fixed.

I thought you had to be in a closed compartment, like a garage, for that to happen ?

Its certainly easier there, but I wouldn't want to get caught in a traffic jam with an exhaust leak under my floorpan. All it has to do is impair you enough to wreck.

Edited by HOF44

Ok, Im having an electrical issue. A few months ago my fan stopped working, unless it was on high. Only works on high. Last night i had my lights and the radio on as I drive. I turned my fan on for a minute to help cool the cabin (no ac, just fan... on high) and all of a sudden my emergency break light, and battery light on the dashboard come on, and I can smell an electrical burning smell... but then I turned my fan off, and both lights turned off, and the smell stopped. Any insight would be seen as a huge commodity.

stew ya probably have a wire that was grounding out and fried...which can be mess

need to have it looked at,and by all means don't turn the fan back on

a electrical fire under the dash is no fun at all

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried to repair my broken tailpipe myself, because I like to things myself, and save money.

I used a 4 layer approach. First, I started with JB Weld glue and let it sit overnight.

Then I added 2 layers of 2 different types of adhesive wrap bandages that wrap around the whole tailpipe and harden as it gets hot.

Then for the 4th layer, I used this aluminum steel wrap that goes around the whole tailpipe, and you tighten with clamps.

After doing all that, I went for about a 20 minute drive. Got out of the car and smelled something burning. And looked at my tailpipe where I re-connected it to the muffler, and it was all shiny like it was slightly melting. I stupidly touched it to see if I could feel any liquid metal. And I did slightly feel the metal melting, (of course burning my hand in the process)

What should I do ? Is the melting a big concern ? Could this poison me, just like the leaking carbon monoxide could ?

Should I take the product back for a refund ?

Rotmfflmao

you could probably had it welded cheaper

Whenever possible, I do the work myself. I'm sure of all the money I've saved in the past, it has easily offset this extra cost.

But if I get poisoned by the melting metal fumes, it may not be worth it, after all.

Whenever possible, I do the work myself. I'm sure of all the money I've saved in the past, it has easily offset this extra cost.

But if I get poisoned by the melting metal fumes, it may not be worth it, after all.

I can respect that,I do as well

exhaust work is one thing I usually leave to others.....I think you will be ok

After letting it set overnight would be best,if you have a overflow reservoir simply make sure it is full (only open it hot if it has a non pressurized cap)

trust me ,coolant burns suck bigtime

After letting it set overnight would be best,if you have a overflow reservoir simply make sure it is full (only open it hot if it has a non pressurized cap)

trust me ,coolant burns suck bigtime

But it's usually around 90* when I wake up. Does humidity affect it at all?Just messing with ya, I was thinking about how funny it'd be to say that on the drive home

But it's usually around 90* when I wake up. Does humidity affect it at all?Just messing with ya, I was thinking about how funny it'd be to say that on the drive home

The system is pressurized as the coolant heats with engine temperature, it will normally run around 180-200 degrees at full temp. Just let it cool for a few hours after driving it or check it in the morning. You're just waiting for the engine to cool down.

You are messing with me ain't ya?

yep :ols:

add

I knew you weren't a mouthbreather,but you would not believe some of the stupid questions I get

Edited by twa

Actually do have a serious question... 97 BMW 540i, I was driving home tonight and it sounded like my exhaust was hitting my car right under the center console (Actually sounded like I had a vibrator in the center console), only under light acceleration, when I went to even moderate or heavy acceleration the sound was not there... Any thoughts?

question for the mechanics

why wont a brake caliper installed on the wrong side work easily despite fitting and functioning the same as the other? (yes another DIY customer screwup):pfft:

---------- Post added July-8th-2011 at 10:26 PM ----------

I just bought a Lexus and inquired about the cost of an oil change from the dealer with synthetic oil....$140! Does that include the lube?

I would hope so....with a dealer it never hurts to ask first though:silly:

add

where is Springfields?.....married life is interfering with taking care of business

Edited by twa