Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

I hesitated, because I know that putting food in your gas tank, can cause a bit of a problem, so my immediate reaction to putting food in a radiator was somewhat questionable.

Not so much as putting food IN your gas tank, but if you get a small leak in your gas tank, regular chewing gum makes for an excellent long term fix. That's another of the 'I didn't believe it until I saw it' emergency fixes.

Not so much as putting food IN your gas tank, but if you get a small leak in your gas tank, regular chewing gum makes for an excellent long term fix. That's another of the 'I didn't believe it until I saw it' emergency fixes.

A friend of mine told me that if you put an equal mixture of a typical Fuel Additive with Ethyl Alcohol (might have been ethanol, unless they're the same thing) that it would double your gas mileage. You know anything about that ?

Edited by Mickalino

A friend of mine told me that if you put an equal mixture of a typical Fuel Additive with Ethyl Alcohol (might have been ethanol, unless they're the same thing) that it would double your gas mileage. You know anything about that ?

Did you believe him?

From my experience, a fuel additive slightly increases the octane rating, and ethanol is commonly used in high horsepower racing engines.

The only way to improve your gas mileage is to shave some weight off your right foot!

Edited by SkinnedAussie

Ethanol can be dangerous to use. Not so much as in volatility (although it does ignite quite easily), but moreso in that it burns with an invisible flame.

You won't find ethanol at any of those places. Here, only a fuel distributor (not a regular gas station) can sell it, and you have to prove why you want it.

Alumaweld, but any stop leak is not the preferred option

twa, I couldn't find Alumaweld at the store, but they had Alumaseal.

Is it the same thing ?

I'm thinking about buying a used car, do I have to pay a mechanic to come with me to inspect the car?

Well, there's no law requiring it, so you don't have to :silly:

But it's an excellent idea.

Alright I've got a question...

My 93ish Honda Civic Manual is laboring going up hills, and bucks and hesitates sometimes in any gear to where I can't accelerate other than maybe 1mph/sec... And then once it gets above about 2k RPMs it feels like it catches and will go with no symptoms...

Spark plug? Distributor cap? Clutch Slipping? Broken Motor Mount?

I've got no idea...

twa, I couldn't find Alumaweld at the store, but they had Alumaseal.

Is it the same thing ?

Well, there's no law requiring it, so you don't have to :silly:

But it's an excellent idea.

Yes it is...to both

seal ,weld...let's not get picky here:silly:

How old is the timing belt? Only reason I ask is that I had a similar symptom to this when a few teeth broke off the belt on a car I owned many moons ago. It would idle really rough and buck, but get better once the car got going. Eventually, enough teeth broke off that the engine cut off and couldn't be restarted. New belt and it was good to go. Luckily for me it was a non-interference engine so I didn't bend/break any valves.

I'm thinking about buying a used car, do I have to pay a mechanic to come with me to inspect the car?

:helmet:

If you have a mate who also happens to be a mechanic, take him with you. Otherwise, if you want to take a mechanic with you, surely you would offer to pay for his time away from work!

Alternatively, whan you take a vehicle for a test drive, advise the salesperson that you will be stopping off at your our mechanic for an inspection, and see what reaction you get. If they hesitate, you know that there is something wrong with the vehicle. A reputable car yard will allow you to do this if they know the vehicle is sound.

The cost of said inspection is at your expense.

My 93ish Honda Civic Manual is laboring going up hills, and bucks and hesitates sometimes in any gear to where I can't accelerate other than maybe 1mph/sec... And then once it gets above about 2k RPMs it feels like it catches and will go with no symptoms...

I've got no idea...

Carby or fuel injection?

If a carburettor engine, sounds like it could be blocked low speed jet in the carby.

Hmm, the timing may have slipped, but it definitely isn't a slipping clutch as that would cause the engine to over-rev.

How many miles on the clock? When was the last service?

182k (miles you damn metric user :) ) bought the car in August so I'm not sure how long since the last service...

I've got no idea...

Sounds like a plug wire or rotor/cap. pretty cheap to eliminate as a problem. check plug wires for melting spots or looseness on plugs. Like I said new ones are usually only $30 for a set.

182k (miles you damn metric user :) ) bought the car in August so I'm not sure how long since the last service...

You've had the vehicle since August, and already it's dying in the arse? At 182k, it could be getting close to the end of it's natural life.

Theoretically, you should have had a service done when you bought it. Did you have a mechanic check it out before handing over the $$$?

Sounds like a plug wire or rotor/cap. pretty cheap to eliminate as a problem. check plug wires for melting spots or looseness on plugs. Like I said new ones are usually only $30 for a set.

That's really what I was thinking... But I've never had anything close to that before, so I'm not sure...

You've had the vehicle since August, and already it's dying in the arse? At 182k, it could be getting close to the end of it's natural life.

Theoretically, you should have had a service done when you bought it. Did you have a mechanic check it out before handing over the $$$?

Nah I got it for really cheap, the guy was actually moving to Australia 2 days after we transferred the title... I mean if it dies, I'd be a little upset, but not too much... It ran relatively good when I bought it... There was some bucking in 1st but I figured for <$1k I could live with it...

Where the hell have I been? Damn. I got a lot of catching up to do. :)

Can you recommend a good and effective brand of Radiator Stop Leak ?

One where I don't have to flush out my whole radiator system, hopefully. :paranoid:

I agree with twa. I am mostly against stop leak. They can sometimes do more harm than good and often times won't even seal the leak. Your best bet is to repair the source of the leak rather than trying to patch it with something that may cause damage to your cooling system.

Just my two cents.