Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

Leave the wheel on and feel,listen at the center hub while turning

Cost varies greatly by market(not familiar with A little town called none of your G-D business,is that NY or Jersey?:silly:), after market bearing about $140 installed?

Oem at a dealer..?

If you are going to a mechanic ,just let them find it;)

Edited by twa

I've got one if someone could help, would love some advice. I have a 2005 ML 320 mercedes and Its dripping, what I believe is the power steering fluid. It makes this weird noise like a crackling sound. I don't want to take it to the dealer because they will ask for a pretty penny. I know I just need to replace a something that's simple. I've found the leak and its from a hose but I'm not sure if I should remove it myself. I'm kinda sick of always buying steerling fluid and replacing it on a regular bases. Any advise, thanks

I see twa has been busy... :)

They way I "test" for a bearing is to drive the car. Go to a road that isn't heavily trafficked and turn the car sharply to the left and right (almost like an S turn) and see if the pitch of the sound changes. If it's the right front bearing the noise should get louder or change pitch when turning right and be more subdued when turning left. This is because the load on the bearing changes when you turn sharply. Just make sure you are safe about it.

I've got one if someone could help, would love some advice. I have a 2005 ML 320 mercedes and Its dripping, what I believe is the power steering fluid. It makes this weird noise like a crackling sound. I don't want to take it to the dealer because they will ask for a pretty penny. I know I just need to replace a something that's simple. I've found the leak and its from a hose but I'm not sure if I should remove it myself. I'm kinda sick of always buying steerling fluid and replacing it on a regular bases. Any advise, thanks

I've seen those before. It's usually the hose that goes to the reservoir that leaks. If that is the one that is leaking, it's something that isn't hard to do yourself. Just make sure you get the hose from Mercedes, that way you can be sure you got the hose that is the right diameter, length and strength.

Any motorcycle mechanics here?..Pete?

86 Yamaha xv700

cuts out and bogs at 1800-2400 rpms,runs like champ except in that area

Can't decide between a plugged pilot passage or the ignition control box

leaning towards the ignition box since it seems to drop alternate cylinders off and on and carbs looked good when I had them off.

Timing,valves,plugs,wires all ok...guess I could check the card sync?

:kickcan:...HELP ME...:insane::confused:

anyone good with lawn mower mechanics?

My dog ate the cord to the mower. I fixed it last year, but have to wind the damn thing each time I want to start it. Then he ate it again this week, AND ate the cord on my g/f's mower. ( I have to leave him in garage during work, but will now be leaving mower in outside shed:doh:)

Anyway, I fixed one of the mowers again...but I still have to wind the cord each start. It's a bit annoying and I can't figure out how to wind it so it will coil back up once I start it.

anyone good with lawn mower mechanics?

My dog ate the cord to the mower. I fixed it last year, but have to wind the damn thing each time I want to start it. Then he ate it again this week, AND ate the cord on my g/f's mower. ( I have to leave him in garage during work, but will now be leaving mower in outside shed:doh:)

Anyway, I fixed one of the mowers again...but I still have to wind the cord each start. It's a bit annoying and I can't figure out how to wind it so it will coil back up once I start it.

1st :hysterical: :rotflmao:

We have dogs with similar tastes:)

You will need to wind the recoil pulley(usually counter clockwise) before inserting the rope.

You will need three hands or someone/thing to hold the pulley wile you feed the rope(stop when the holes align,after about 5 turns)

You might consider replacing it with fine steel cable(or get some just to beat the dog with) or just coating the exposed portion with oil of camphor;).

Hey guys,

Just ran into a new problem with my 2000 Blazer today.

It broke down while I was sitting at a stoplight today and I had it towed to my local shop. The guy on the phone said it sounded like it could be a fuel pump. He said that Chevy's have had fuel pump issues in the past. I won't know until tomorrow because they were closing and he said they'd take a look at it first thing in the morning.

Do you guys know what symptoms a bad fuel pump would show? It's been having a little more trouble starting over the last few months than it used to. And today it just totally stalled out and wouldn't start back up when I tried to crank it up, although it sounded like it wanted to start.

Also, if I do have to replace the fuel pump on this vehicle, could you guys give me a ballpark on how much it would run me with labor and everything?

I appreciate it.

Hey guys,

Just ran into a new problem with my 2000 Blazer today.

It broke down while I was sitting at a stoplight today and I had it towed to my local shop. The guy on the phone said it sounded like it could be a fuel pump. He said that Chevy's have had fuel pump issues in the past. I won't know until tomorrow because they were closing and he said they'd take a look at it first thing in the morning.

Do you guys know what symptoms a bad fuel pump would show? It's been having a little more trouble starting over the last few months than it used to. And today it just totally stalled out and wouldn't start back up when I tried to crank it up, although it sounded like it wanted to start.

Also, if I do have to replace the fuel pump on this vehicle, could you guys give me a ballpark on how much it would run me with labor and everything?

I appreciate it.

My first thought would be the fuel pump. It's a very common problem on these vehicles. Also common is the fuel injector assembly (all of the injectors and lines that attach them) and a combination of that and the fuel pump.

The honest truth is that it could be a whole host of problems. I would agree though that fuel pump would be my first guess based on your symptom. Like with any died while driving, cranks won't start symptom, the truck will have to be checked for fuel, spark and timing. After finding out what is lacking in the equation, then you can test suspected components.

As far as cost, off the very top of my head, I would say probably somewhere in the range of $600-$800. This would include a fuel pump assembly (which comes with all of the electrical stuff) and the fuel filter. I always recommend replacing the fuel filter when a fuel pump has failed.

My first thought would be the fuel pump. It's a very common problem on these vehicles. Also common is the fuel injector assembly (all of the injectors and lines that attach them) and a combination of that and the fuel pump.

The honest truth is that it could be a whole host of problems. I would agree though that fuel pump would be my first guess based on your symptom. Like with any died while driving, cranks won't start symptom, the truck will have to be checked for fuel, spark and timing. After finding out what is lacking in the equation, then you can test suspected components.

As far as cost, off the very top of my head, I would say probably somewhere in the range of $600-$800. This would include a fuel pump assembly (which comes with all of the electrical stuff) and the fuel filter. I always recommend replacing the fuel filter when a fuel pump has failed.

Sweet, thanks man.

Sounds possible ,how long since ya changed the fuel filter?

You might get lucky and that be all.

Fuel pump OEM, installed 4-5 hundred?

I've had it since 2005 and haven't changed the fuel filter at all. Not sure if it was changed by the previous owner. Hoping that's all it is but I'm not usually that lucky.

so to continue with the theme of my dog eating stuff...last summer he ate several seatbelts in my truck. The drivers belt is duck taped to stay together, but the others are pretty much gone, chewed in half. It is a ***** trying to find replacement belts without buying brand new ones.

anyone know of a good website to get that stuff from cheap? The ones at the local junk yards are in trucks that have been wrecked, so I can't use the belts.

****ing dog!

PS- it's a 99 Toyota 4 Runner

Edited by ljs

Springfield you were right, needs a completely new fuel pump, the place I took it to wanted to charge me $922 parts and labor so I called around and found a place that will do it for $678 parts and labor.

Funny thing is the first shop called me back and offered to do it for $700 after I told them I was having it towed somewhere else. Also, I was entitled for a 2nd tow for free from my roadside assistance plan so I didn't have to pay any for the towing.

The first shop also said that the starter is going bad so I'm having the 2nd shop look at it and give me a quote....do you guys know what it would cost with parts and labor to have it all done?

Springfield you were right, needs a completely new fuel pump, the place I took it to wanted to charge me $922 parts and labor so I called around and found a place that will do it for $678 parts and labor.

Funny thing is the first shop called me back and offered to do it for $700 after I told them I was having it towed somewhere else. Also, I was entitled for a 2nd tow for free from my roadside assistance plan so I didn't have to pay any for the towing.

The first shop also said that the starter is going bad so I'm having the 2nd shop look at it and give me a quote....do you guys know what it would cost with parts and labor to have it all done?

Today's his birthday, man.....give him a day off :)