Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

looking for job change advice

renaissance

So here's the deal...

I've been working for almost a year now at federal govt job I really like, but I recently found out there isn't really any room for promotion. I can get a preformance-based raise at my 1 year mark, but it's just my boss and I in my part of the dept and they would have to create a new position to "promote" me. Because of budget constraints, there is no way they would do this - also the process would probably take months and if you read below that would be worthless to me.

Under most circumstances, I would just start looking for a new job now. However, I'm planning on moving from DC once my current lease is up in May 09.

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth holding out at my current job, or if it's going to look bad if I get a new job and only stay until May or so - that would put me at 3 jobs in 3 years, two at 1 year each and one of them for only a number of months. (I graduated in 2006)

I am looking to "switch fields," although my current job is tangentially related to what I want to do, and allows me to learn a lot about what I eventually want to do. If I switch fields now, I'd likely be going from the govt back in to non-profit land thus making less $$ than I make now.

Pretty much then, I can stay at my current job, making a pretty good salary, gaining some experience, but not having too much room for growth over the next 10 months, or I can find a new job in the field I'm really interested in, probably making less money, and staying for less than a year.

I'm also open to applying to any other jobs that open up in my agency, but the chances of anything I want opening up are pretty slim, so I can't bank on that.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing, and hopefully someone has some words of wisdom.

Stay where you are.

You may not think you are growing but you are. Experience my young friend. It means almost everything. Stick with the job, you'll bank more, gain more contacts, get better insight into your future career and show that you are stable.

So here's the deal...

I've been working for almost a year now at federal govt job I really like, but I recently found out there isn't really any room for promotion. I can get a preformance-based raise at my 1 year mark, but it's just my boss and I in my part of the dept and they would have to create a new position to "promote" me. Because of budget constraints, there is no way they would do this - also the process would probably take months and if you read below that would be worthless to me.

Under most circumstances, I would just start looking for a new job now. However, I'm planning on moving from DC once my current lease is up in May 09.

I guess I'm wondering if it's worth holding out at my current job, or if it's going to look bad if I get a new job and only stay until May or so - that would put me at 3 jobs in 3 years, two at 1 year each and one of them for only a number of months. (I graduated in 2006)

I am looking to "switch fields," although my current job is tangentially related to what I want to do, and allows me to learn a lot about what I eventually want to do. If I switch fields now, I'd likely be going from the govt back in to non-profit land thus making less $$ than I make now.

Pretty much then, I can stay at my current job, making a pretty good salary, gaining some experience, but not having too much room for growth over the next 10 months, or I can find a new job in the field I'm really interested in, probably making less money, and staying for less than a year.

I'm also open to applying to any other jobs that open up in my agency, but the chances of anything I want opening up are pretty slim, so I can't bank on that.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing, and hopefully someone has some words of wisdom.

Don't be a dummy stay where you are. The job market is to crazy right now, plus the federal gov gives you job security that most jobs lack.

-Grant

Stay where you are.

You may not think you are growing but you are. Experience my young friend. It means almost everything. Stick with the job, you'll bank more, gain more contacts, get better insight into your future career and show that you are stable.

Don't be a dummy stay where you are. The job market is to crazy right now, plus the federal gov gives you job security that most jobs lack.

-Grant

stay where you are... if you like your job more or less why would you move?

I do like my job now, but I don't love it. And I have been able to start doing more of the stuff that I actually like, but I'm still stuck with the annoying tasks that are in my original job description. So it's as if I've pretty much been promoted in terms of workload and complexity of work, but I still have to do all the other stuff as well. I realize this is a learning experience, and everyone has to do this stuff in order to advance, but I'm not going to be advancing as a result of doing it.

I see what you guys are saying though, and appreciate because it helps me think through things!!!

If you're moving out of the area, there's really no point in switching. It would be more stress on you just trying to find something then switching over, only to leave shortly after settling in and repeating the process over again.

Take it from someone who's changed jobs for the quick money. In the long run, you'll be better off to stick with it. Unless it's a promotion, every time you change jobs you're starting from square one. If you stick it out and perform well in your current job, the opportunities will come. You're young and can afford to be patient.

I just looked as well and saw you were 23... that looks even worse. Moving around a lot in these earlier years of your career will hurt. See if you can try to insert yourself in other projects or better yet, I would start looking for something wherever you were planning to move. I have two master degrees and have been looking for a job for 6 months. Why don't you use your downtime to figure out what companies are where you want to be...

Archived