Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Senator tries to keep valedictorian from deportation

Shilsu

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/11/armenian.valedictorian/index.html

I don't know if I'm just being naive or what as I'm not really too into politics...

But what if they allowed him to stay on the basis of outstanding achievement? Wouldn't that be a good example for other illegal immigrants that if they work hard, they might be able to achieve the same...

Also, people always complain about how we shouldn't waste taxpayer's money on prostitution or recreational drugs or whatever... Can that argument be more applied more effectively to this situation? Why waste taxpayer's money on trying to deport people like this, instead of trying to do something about illegal smugglers such as the van that was filled with dirty Chinese people?

People complain that they're taking our jobs. That's true only if a flood of immigrants comes at once. Otherwise, any person in the country who works brings income home. That working person needs a home, a car, electricity, etc. That working person pumps money back into the economy, so we need more houses, electricity, etc.

People act as though there is a limit to the number of jobs available, and that the more people there are, the less likely they'll get one. The fact of the matter is, every person (on average) produces enough need for work from others that will take their money.

Are they trying to deport this guy because he is the valedictorian? Or is the Senator trying to keep someone that has overstayed their visa(ever heard of that happening?) from being deported?

Should we prevent Salutatorians from being deported? Honor Society members? Graduates?

Team captains? Letter Winners? Starters?

I don't know if I'm just being naive or what as I'm not really too into politics...

But what if they allowed him to stay on the basis of outstanding achievement? Wouldn't that be a good example for other illegal immigrants that if they work hard, they might be able to achieve the same...

Also, people always complain about how we shouldn't waste taxpayer's money on prostitution or recreational drugs or whatever... Can that argument be more applied more effectively to this situation? Why waste taxpayer's money on trying to deport people like this, instead of trying to do something about illegal smugglers such as the van that was filled with dirty Chinese people?

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't somebody use tax payer money to do something about the van filled with "dirty Chinese people"? I don't see it as an either or proposition.

Our immigration system is already set up to reward achievement. Most legal ways into the country involve getting an education or some kind of skilled job. Immigrants have always known that working hard and getting an education are the key to success in America.

If he can avoid formal deportation, I'm sure some college will give him a student visa that will allow him to stay legally for another four years, and then he should be able to find a job that will give him an H-1 visa or a green card ... or maybe he can meet a nice American girl and get a green card by marriage.

Are they trying to deport this guy because he is the valedictorian? Or is the Senator trying to keep someone that has overstayed their visa(ever heard of that happening?) from being deported?
They're trying to deport an illegal immigrant. Probably about half of illegal immigrants are people who have overstayed their visas. It's hard to make exceptions in cases like this, because everyone has a sob story ... the game is really all about delaying as long as possible until you can find another way to stay in the country.

People complain that they're taking our jobs. That's true only if a flood of immigrants comes at once. Otherwise, any person in the country who works brings income home. That working person needs a home, a car, electricity, etc. That working person pumps money back into the economy, so we need more houses, electricity, etc.

People act as though there is a limit to the number of jobs available, and that the more people there are, the less likely they'll get one. The fact of the matter is, every person (on average) produces enough need for work from others that will take their money.

So what does said guy do when an immigrant offers to do his job for 25% of what he's making?

If hard work was all it took, there'd be no outsourcing to people that will do the same job for less.

~Bang

The law is skewed nowadays to cater to illegals south of the border while legal immigrants of european or African descent have a cap limit.

I wonder how many people who are saying good job can't if all of the smart illegals graduating from our schools were Irish, German or black from the highly educated areas of Africa and Conservative?

The law is skewed nowadays to cater to illegals south of the border while legal immigrants of european or African descent have a cap limit.
That isn't true at all. There is the same cap in place for all countries. The only countries that use up their cap are Mexico, China, India, and the Philippines. If more Africans or Europeans wanted to come to America, there are many more green cards available to them than to Mexicans or Chinese.

The only reason it is skewed is geography and economics. It is a lot easier to get here from Mexico, and people have a greater desire and ability to get here from India and China.

I wonder how many people who are saying good job can't if all of the smart illegals graduating from our schools were Irish, German or black from the highly educated areas of Africa and Conservative?
The valedictorian in this story is Armenian. I have no idea what his political leanings are.

Archived