Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 Most Common Passwords

China

HP servers used to have an initial default password of 'iforgot'.

My inner geek always thought that was funny.

Long time ago, when I was in charge of a computer (back when the computer sat in the computer room, and only the anointed were permitted in the room), the movie War Games came out, and everybody suddenly became concerned about the dire threat posed by teenaged kids guessing passwords at random.

Shortly thereafter, a newspaper story reported that cops had caught a kid in Seatle ("the same city that the kid in the movie lived in!") had broken into 24 computer systems. (Thus, in everybody's minds, confirming the legend of the dire threat posed by the hyper-clever teenaged kid.)

Only one article that I saw mentioned the full story.

Of the 24 systems he "hacked into", 19 of them were DEC Vax systems.

When a Vax computer is first installed, the system had one user pre-installed on the system. The user was "system", and his password was "manager". This user had unlimited power, and the customer uses this user to create other, lesser, users.

All 19 of the Vax systems that the kid "hacked into" had never changed the password of the ultimate, all-powerfull, "system" user. It was still "manager".

(The way the kid "hacked into" the other 5 systems was, he found files on the first 19 systems that contained the phone numbers and passwords of the other 5.)

I've seen the movie, and both of you tried to make the same joke, and both failed. But Larry failed first, meaning you were repost-owned. :silly: The quote is:

So the combination is one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

Wrong-O

The second line, delivered by MB himself, is "that's the same combo I have on my luggage" (read: Larry first line, zoony second line)

So, nice job with the self-ownage :finger:

And also nice job with bringing up a totally retarded conversation. I think we both just lost about 10 IQ points :laugh:

well with the rules for setting a password become so freaking rediculously hard these days.

Password must be at least 6 characters long

Password can not begin with a number or a vowel or a capital letter

Password can not contain two consecutive numbers or letters

Password must contain at least one question mark

Password can not contain a capital letter followed by a lower case letter, but can contain a capital letter followed by a lower case letter only if a lower case letters is preceded by a lower case letter that is not preceded by a capital letter.

Password can not contain a hyphen or an underscore

Password must contain at least 3 numbers

Password can only end with a vowel.

example.

b5!G?9i4r3e

:)

:laugh: That's pretty much what it's exactly like.

well with the rules for setting a password become so freaking rediculously hard these days.

Password can not contain a capital letter followed by a lower case letter, but can contain a capital letter followed by a lower case letter only if a lower case letters is preceded by a lower case letter that is not preceded by a capital letter.

example.

b5eG?9i4rU

"password" is number 1? Jesus Christ we are a nation of morons. :laugh:

have you ever worked in a helpdesk, the best is when they forget their password and it is their last name, oh yes that has happened :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i love qwerty :laugh: :laugh:

example.

b5!G?9i4r3e

and then you have to create a new one every 3 days

honestly it is time to go to fingeprints or hand scans :) so much easier to manage

Larry what company do you work for?

As for the password resets, it's unfortunately necessary. Good companies run out-sourced audits on their systems. In today's client/service type economy, information is shared between companies and security needs to be top notched. Secrets, financial data, personal data can all be compromised.

If you guys have a good IT department, they should have developed or are in the process of developing a "self service" password re-setter, similar to what most websites use.

Don't every make your password your name, user name or anything like that. Chances are, your initials followed by your wife's initials and your birth dates are sufficient for us on this board. Just get a password system and stick to it.

Don't write them down. A password list is obsolete now anyways. Hackers don't need a list of passwords when their brute software is listing it for them anyways.

Passwords shouldn't be easily guessable.

If they are, you are being lazy and irresponsible of your company's data.

When sites require regular password changes that include a number my go to used to be f(insert company name)1 a month later change to f(company name)2. . . . Shoot! Be right back! Gotta change my ES password!

I use one of the numbers on the underside of my laptop modified by the telephone keypad (turn numbers into letters) and the number of characters I need. Only need to remember which number I used, where I started and whether I used the first, second and third letter in my conversion. Nothing written down or just 3 numbers in a notepad document which, if I'm really paranoid, can easily be modified to look like a list of tests. Except for _ and - (just remember spaces), I usually forget what I used as a special character :doh:

A tip I read in a computer magazine was to make up a sentence you can remember to correlate with your password.

For example:

My father James has a 1965 car

becomes

MfJha1965c

Once Apon A Time Far Far Away in 2003 Somewhere Someone Farted

OAATFFAI2003SSF

I use the password the CIA gave me to log onto the internet when I worked there as a summer employee (most computers there don't have general internet access). I figure...it's good enough for the CIA, it's good enough for me. It's a nonsense word, so no one could guess it.

'That's like some moron's combination for his luggage!'
The exact reason why I use it.

And I laugh every time I punch it into my phone.....

That's the same combination I have on my luggage!!!!!
Spaceballs sucks. Yeah, I said it.
And blows.

On my gosh, I was laughing my butt off at all the Spaceballs jokes b/c that's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the title of the thread. :laugh: Good job boys!

Except Phoward12 :nono: :stick:

P.S. I seriously can't believe there was a Spaceballs/ownage argument in this thread :laugh:

I use the password the CIA gave me to log onto the internet when I worked there as a summer employee (most computers there don't have general internet access). I figure...it's good enough for the CIA, it's good enough for me. It's a nonsense word, so no one could guess it.

Which explains why the CIA is still keeping track of your internet use. :paranoid:

Archived