Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BUST or HIT: My outlook on this years rookie class!

THE HURRICANE

Now I Know that this does not translate to every single Individual performance however I was thinking about this and would like some input from others. When a rookie enters the league it is hard to predict whether or not he will be productive or not. However when you look at some of the greats they have had help from veterans that help them in reaching thier full potential.

To name a few you have to look back at Champ Bailey, dont get me wrong I think he would have been good regardless but he had alot of help from Darell Green.I would also like for you to think about these as well.

Dawan Landry:Ed Reed

Laron Landry:Sean Taylor

Randy Moss:Chris Carter

Tom Brady:Drew Bledsoe

Terrell Owens:Jerry Rice

Lance Briggs:Brian Urlacher

Bart Scott:Ray Lewis

Reggie Wayne:Marvin Harrison

The list just goes on and on and on and I do realize that there are exceptions and some of these cases are just the simple fact that one player takes the pressure off of the other one. Now I am going to give you a list of players that should have been phenominal but had no one to take the pressure off of.

Lavar Arrington?

Taylor Jacobs?

Reggie Bush? Good when Mcallistar was in but nothing

Ryan Leaf?

Michael Westbrook?

Patrick Ramsey?

Alex Smith?

Heath Shuler?

So I guess my point is this:

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelley:Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El

Fred Davis:Chris Cooley

Chad Rinehart:Chris Samuels

Justin Tryon:Shawn Springs

Colt Brennan: ???? Todd Collins

Kareem Morre, Chris Horton:Laron Landry

Rob Jackson:Andre Carter kind of like Cedric Gholston, Anthony Montgomery:Cornelius Griffin.

I realize this is not one hundred percent and ALOT rests on the shoulders of the coaches but I thought that this would be a positive way to look at the redskins draft choices in this years draft.

THOUGHTS?

You make a good point, but I think there is more to it.

I think coaching, and in particular coaches that excel in instructing technique have a lot to do with potential success. As well as the players surrounding the rookie at other positions. ( a receiver can not be successful without a quarterback or offensive line performing)

I see your point, but I think mentoring is only a small part of the equation.

So I guess my point is this:

Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelley:Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El

Fred Davis:Chris Cooley

Chad Rinehart:Chris Samuels

Justin Tryon:Shawn Springs

Colt Brennan: ???? Todd Collins

Kareem Morre, Chris Horton:Laron Landry

Rob Jackson:Andre Carter kind of like Cedric Gholston, Anthony Montgomery:Cornelius Griffin.

I realize this is not one hundred percent and ALOT rests on the shoulders of the coaches but I thought that this would be a positive way to look at the redskins draft choices in this years draft.

THOUGHTS?

Chris Samuels was the number two overall pick vs. Chad Rinehart

Shawn Springs was a top ten overall pick vs. Justin Tryon!?

Laron Landry was the number 6th pick overall vs Horton or Morre!?

Andre Carter was first round pick and Cornelius Griffin was a high second compared to late round picks in Montgomery or Golston.

I think you are creating a lot of high expectations...

I think its a 2 part learning process, on the field and off the field.

I think its great to have people around you that play the position you are at a high level.

I think its also great to have people in the locker room to warn of the pitfalls of NFL life.

Interesting point from the OP.

It's always good to have a good mentor. A veteran, proven at his position to advise you on the pitfalls of NFL life on and off the field. But i think as much as that, it ultimately comes down to both good coaching and personal attitude. If you dedicate yourself TOTALLY to the profession, for what is a pretty short period of your life, and work WITH, not AGAINST your coaches, (huh LaVar?), chances are you'll succeed in this league. And stay around a long time. Many "lesser" talents have had stellar careers through just that.

As regards the 2008 rookie class?

Uhmm, let's let them settle in, participate in their first NFL training camp, and actually get on the field and try make the team before we start critiquing them huh? Nothing like heaping a whole host of expected pressure on these guys already..... not like the step up to the pro's is daunting enough. :doh:

Hail.

Whatever Moss and ARE could be teaching Thomas and Kelly, I hope they are NOT doing so. Moss and ARE are not good examples for our young guys to learn from. Neither are any good. There is a world of difference between our guys and Moss learning from Cris Carter and TO learning from Jerry Rice. Those vets are in the HOF. We have two decent midgets who can't make a Pro Bowl. Other than the fact those are our starters, what is the basis for comparing it to Moss-Carter/TO-Rice/Wayne-Harrison?

Springs doesn't care about the team, so why would he teach Tyron like Green taught Bailey? Laundry is looking more and more like the headcase that was talked about when he was coming out of LSU and he needs coaching; he shouldn't be coaching Moore/Horton.

One thing that may be good is for Colt to learn from Collins. And maybe Cooley will control Davis.

But I hope the guy doing the teaching is Zorn. If Zorn can make himself a strong head of this team and get these guys to buy into him, then that is the guy I want our players learning from. A lot of our players are just me-first flash Snyder brought in here as opposed to being great team guys that should serve as vet leadership. We are actually very weak in the vet leadership department (Fletcher may be the best we got).

I think Devin Thomas, Reinhart and Colt will be the good picks from this class. I'm not optimistic about the rest.

Whatever Moss and ARE could be teaching Thomas and Kelly, I hope they are NOT doing so. Moss and ARE are not good examples for our young guys to learn from. Neither are any good. There is a world of difference between our guys and Moss learning from Cris Carter and TO learning from Jerry Rice. Those vets are in the HOF. We have two decent midgets who can't make a Pro Bowl. Other than the fact those are our starters, what is the basis for comparing it to Moss-Carter/TO-Rice/Wayne-Harrison?

Springs doesn't care about the team, so why would he teach Tyron like Green taught Bailey? Laundry is looking more and more like the headcase that was talked about when he was coming out of LSU and he needs coaching; he shouldn't be coaching Moore/Horton.

One thing that may be good is for Colt to learn from Collins. And maybe Cooley will control Davis.

But I hope the guy doing the teaching is Zorn. If Zorn can make himself a strong head of this team and get these guys to buy into him, then that is the guy I want our players learning from. A lot of our players are just me-first flash Snyder brought in here as opposed to being great team guys that should serve as vet leadership. We are actually very weak in the vet leadership department (Fletcher may be the best we got).

I think Devin Thomas, Reinhart and Colt will be the good picks from this class. I'm not optimistic about the rest.

Where were you when Steve Smith and Santana Moss both made the Pro Bowl in the same year?

While you're at it explain how Springs doesn't care about the team.

Actually don't, because you can't you're just another one of those guys who posts nonsense on here because you blindly hate the FO, hence your name on here.

Springs doesn't care about the team, so why would he teach Tyron like Green taught Bailey?

Would that be the same Shawn Springs that had 4 interceptions in his last 4 games of our run to the playoffs last year? Giving everything and producing his best football on game day, whilst FAR from 100% fit, after little to no practice each week due to being at his critically ill fathers bedside in Dallas?

Heck, if a man giving his all whilst living through the personal agony of his dad in a coma he sadly may NEVER come out of ISN'T the living embodiment of a man who, ya' know, CARES a darn about the 'Skins, i'd like to see the man that actually doe's care. Were sure as heck gona' have one hell of a player then...... :doh:

Hail.

I don't think he's saying Justin Tryon is the next Shawn Springs or Kareem Moore is the next Landry. He is just trying to make the point that rookies are more likely prosper if they work closely with guys that have the right combination of talent/veteran leadership.

If this is in fact true, the Falcons and Matt Ryan are in trouble.

Archived