Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need a Blu Ray Player: Is a PS3 a no brainer?

NattyLight

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

What's up, I'd like some advice as I know a lot of folks on this board are pretty keen with technology and gaming.

My DVD player **** the bed, therefore I'm in the market for a Blu Ray player. I've gotten tons of feedback saying that in the current market, the PS3 is a no brainer to support not only Blu Ray, but also incredible gaming and other online bells and whistles.

Now, I'm not a gamer by any means. The fiance and I have a Wii and only play it from time to time. Therefore it's safe to say I'll be much less than a regular gamer.

In lieu of that fact, is the PS 3 still the best "bang for the buck" all else withstanding?

Thanks in advance.

Yes on the PS3.

It costs the same as the sony blu-ray player....but you get the gaming console for free.

Your best bet.....get the PS3....and get games if interested, or blu-ray movies at the same time.

Apply for a store credit card......and knock an additional 10% off the entire purchase.

Once past the cash register....walk immediately over to customer service, and pay off the credit card.

0 interest......and the best player......all at a discount.

You will never watch a dvd again. :applause:

Yes it is. You'll get a blu ray player and a game console in one. Also if you wait for the MGS 80gig bundle you'll be able to play playstation 2 games on it.

40 gig is 400 bucks and i believe walmart has a sale right now that you will receive a 100 buck giftcard for buying a ps3.

MGS 80 gig comes out june 12 for 500 bucks. Walmart might apply the 100 dollar giftcard but not completely sure.

sine the ps3 is currently the only blue ray capable of getting online content from new blue ray discs and playstation routinely updates the "system" I would say yeah its the best bet. Not to mention you can play some decent games on it.

What is the purpose of the blu-ray player? This is a legit question. Do you really need it?

Yes. I do need it. Like to breath. We spent 2grand on a TV and don't even have an HDMI connection to it yet. A blu ray supportable device is a more than appropriate addition to the home theater suite and has officially won the HDDVD war, thus will be the paramount video format for years to come.

Yes. I do need it. Like to breath. We spent 2grand on a TV and don't even have an HDMI connection to it yet. A blu ray supportable device is a more than appropriate addition to the home theater suite and has officially won the HDDVD war, thus will be the paramount video format for years to come.

I was just asking whether you need it or are you just buying it. Thats all. Depending on if you had a HDTV, whether you are a movie lover, buy movies and etc

Blu ray is the new dvd.

Like dvd in HD.

Yesi know this.

Your DVD player plays in 480p. Your HD TV displays in 720p or 1080p.

Blu-ray is now the choice for high definition DVD.

Yes i know this

i would like to know that too

It doesn't lack features. Actually it has a feature most stand alone players don't have which is the firmware for it can be updated by doing PS3 updates. You can also buy a standard remote control for it so that you don't have to use the PS3 controller.

as I understand it, there aren't any remotes for it 'cept for the ps3 controller itself. also, its supposed to be pretty loud mechanically. aside from that, I don't see any problems.

Both of these are incorrect. The PS3 is a quiet machine(I don't hear it running when I play games or movies) and you can buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PlayStation-Blu-ray-Disc-Remote/dp/B000M17AVO

I say yes it is. Even if you are not a gamer there may be a game that you might wanna try. The PS3 gets constant firmware updates (if connected to internet) which means ALL blu-ray movies will play as soon as you put them in the system. Also, you can install a computer operating system on the PS3. A bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse will connect just fine with it. If you have a PSP you can sync it with the PS3. Another cool feature is when I see one of my buddies online I invite them to a private chat and I save minutes!

BTW, the PS3 is quiet, if kept clean. Also, the remote is a POINTLESS acquisition. All you have to do is hit the triangle button and a seethrough onscreen menu appears. You can find whatever "button" on your screen without looking down at a remote that IMHO, is cluttered.

If you are DEFINATELY going to buy a Blu-Ray player, a PS3 is a no brainer.

The PS3 is definitely the best value for getting a Blu-ray player now.

Due to Blu-ray not finalizing its' spec before release, a lot of features weren't even compatible for early standalone players. Thanks to the PS3's hardware and internet connection for firmware updates, it is fully compatible to the latest BD Profile 2.0

You can learn more at wikipedia (half-way down it explains the profiles): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray

Mainly, the 2.0 spec is only used in special features for picture-in-picture and interactivity online. These features were always included on HD DVD as well.

You can check www.avsforum.com and www.blu-ray.com for user reviews on the players and to learn more information.

I have owned an HD DVD player since October 2006 with 43 movies.

Owned a PS3 since the end of April 2008 with 19 movies.

HD media is definitely worth it if you appreciate high definition pictures and like watching movies. Just an FYI though, prices for movies at Best Buy and Circuit City can get very high ($35 a movie). Amazon.com usually has the best deals consistently. Otherwise, try to hold off for sales if you must buy in-store. By waiting for these sales and ordering online, I've averaged about $15 a Blu-ray movie.

The PS3 is also faster than most other standalone players. Fully upgradeable. Great value. Interface is pretty easy to follow as well. You'll need to buy the remote separately if you're not comfortable using the controller, but most shouldn't find it that bad. It handles all the important functions anyhow.

I actually just purchased the PS3 for its Blu-ray playing ability. 0 PS3 games, as I have 12 Xbox 360 games and feel that's a better game console (personal preference).

Just read up some online and I think you'll definitely find that the PS3 is the best Blu-ray player for the money.

Get a PS3 for a Blu Ray player. Make sure you get a remote so you don't have to use the controller. And it depends on the PS3 sku on how loud it can get. I have imo the best model the 60gb sku because I'm a gamer and want the best Backwards Compatibility. The 40gb model(the one I would recommend you to get), that happens to be the cheapest is the most quiet of the bunch. The longer you use the PS3 even if it's ventilated(it happens alot of stuff goes on under that hood) it usually starts increasing in fan speeds. So even the with the 40gb model you'll start to eventually hear it when you're watching movies. The best thing about the PS3s Blu Ray player is it's future proof with updates and patches. Hope that helps.

Walmart (in store only) has Playstation 3 console + $100 gift card for $399.

The console is listed on the last page of their ad, and is currently sold out online

Best buy stores may be matching this deal as well, check this thread for more details.

check slickdeals.net for more options

Thanks so much good people.

I may have the inside track on a no longer available 60GB model, but if I don't, should I spring the extra $100 on the 80GB model, or will the 40GB meet my prescribed needs.

That's a very good question Nattylight and there's an easy answer for that. Do you want a PS3 with PS2 Backwards Compatibility? Do you find yourself wanting to play older games on your PS3? If so get the 60gb(best one imo) or the 80gb model. If playing older games are not top priority then your best choice is the 40gb model. It's the cheapest, has wifi, but you lose the BC. I believe the $100 credit at Walmart also works for the 80gb models they'll get instock in June. So that should drop the price to $399, hope that helps.

Archived