Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

According to fanball.com: "Portis to lose touches"

santana_4_prez

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not buying it. I still think CP is going to have a great season.

http://www.fanballnews.com/nfl/

The News

After four years of operating in Joe Gibbs' run-first power running attack, the Redskins are shifting to Jim Zorn's horizontal West Coast scheme. The question is whether the Redskins have the personnel to be successful in this attack? Quarterback Jason Campbell will have to learn a new offense and how does Clinton Portis and the running game fit in?

Our View

Sherman Smith has the title of offensive coordinator, but Zorn will be calling the plays. Portis should no longer be considered a starting option in traditional formats. Zorn will use backup Ladell Betts' skill as a receiver out of the backfield.

That comment is the opposite of genius. Portis had 49 catches last season and proved to be a threat out of the backfield, finally, when used in that capacity.

You don't think Zorn is salivating at the idea of getting Portis 80 catches this year?

Puh-leaze.

That comment is the opposite of genius. Portis had 49 catches last season and proved to be a threat out of the backfield, finally, when used in that capacity.

You don't think Zorn is salivating at the idea of getting Portis 80 catches this year?

Puh-leaze.

Agreed. I know I am salivating about it right now!!!

Portis will lose touches because we won't be ramming the ball up the middle every play. I expect to see a more Denver-like Portis. He is routinely getting over 320 carries per year with the Skins', while he recieved less than 300 both years in Denver, all while averaging 5.5 ypc.

So what I'm saying is he will get less carries, but he will account for more yards.

Wow! I am not seeing the logic there at all. Portis may technically touch the ball less because he won't be the same workhorse in our new system, but he will definitely be Threat #1 on offense and for them to say he will be taken out of a starting role is ridiculous. :doh:

What in the hell is fanball.com anyways?

Basically a fantasy football website, but it usually has very reliable information.

Well, no offense, but I'm going to go ahead and question the reliability of this information. Appears to be nothing but random speculation by some joe schmo with average football knowledge...

How do they figure Betts is a better receiver than Portis?

Because he is. Not only does he look alot more comfortable out in space (Porits looks lost alot) he runs better routes. Both have good hands. but Clinton just doesnt look very comfortable at all running routes. Which makes Betts a better receiver.

However I still think Portis will get plenty of carries. I just would like to some something closer to a 4.9 APC instead of the 3.9 he had last year.

Portis will lose touches because we won't be ramming the ball up the middle every play. I expect to see a more Denver-like Portis. He is routinely getting over 320 carries per year with the Skins', while he recieved less than 300 both years in Denver, all while averaging 5.5 ypc.

So what I'm saying is he will get less carries, but he will account for more yards.

This was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread title and before I read your post.

Clinton Portis over the last four years.....

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD

2007 16 16 325 1,262 3.9 32 11 47 389 8.3 54 0

2006 8 7 127 523 4.1 38T 7 17 170 10.0 74 0

2005 16 16 352 1,516 4.3 47T 11 30 216 7.2 23 0

2004 15 15 343 1,315 3.8 64T 5 40 235 5.9 18 2

Ladell Betts over the last 4 years ...

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD

2007 16 0 93 335 3.6 20 1 21 174 8.3 28 1

2006 16 9 245 1,154 4.7 26 4 53 445 8.4 34 1

2005 12 0 89 338 3.8 22 1 10 78 7.8 26 1

2004 16 1 90 371 4.1 27 1 15 108 7.2 20 0

would someone please explain to me where in the hell this garbarge website could ever say or write that with a straight face?

Portis may not receive as many carries this season as in recent years, but his YPC should increase in Zorn's pass friendly offense as opposed to Gibbs 2-3 yards and a cloud of dust attack.

Portis has had his share of drops in the receiving game, but he is a threat once the ball is in his hands. Remember the Houston game a couple of years ago, when Brunell set the record for consecutive completions with 22? Portis took a shovel pass 74 yards in that game, setting up a TD. And that play was all CP.

Betts is the more sure handed receiver, and will receive his share of touches in the passing game. With that said, I'm still confident that Portis will have as many all purpose yards as he had when Gibbs was coach...whether he receives as many carries or not.

Not sure why everyone is so optimistic that the YPC will increase. We're using essentially the same running game, with a healthier (from Day 1) O-line, which is a year older.

Just because we're running the WCO does not mean we're suddenly going to be Denver in 2002. (Also, in a related side note: how come no one ever remembers that Denver played terrible run defenses in those days? Kansas City and San Diego 4 times a year back then was any running back's wet dream; the NFC East has been and will be again brutal against the run)

That's funny, because Rotoworld.com says:

New Redskins coach Jim Zorn indicated that Clinton Portis will no longer be pulling himself out of games like he did under Joe Gibbs.

"I don't think that's something that's going to happen here," Zorn said. "That's not the way our offense is designed." Zorn plans to take better advantage of Portis' receiving and blocking ability. Portis is also recovered from the hip flexor that limited him during early-May workouts.

Source: Washington Post

I guess each site has its own opinion.

Archived