Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NJ.com: DE Wynn agrees to deal with Giants (merged)

bubba9497

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/121238138826640.xml&coll=1

Click link for entire article

DE Wynn agrees to deal with Giants

Monday, June 02, 2008

BY MIKE GARAFOLO

Star-Ledger Staff

The Giants, who won a Super Bowl thanks to the belief that "you can never have enough pass rushers," have added one more.

The team came to terms on a one-year deal with veteran free-agent defensive end Renaldo Wynn this weekend, according to someone informed of the progress of talks between Wynn and the team. The person, who requested anonymity because the deal hasn't been signed or announced yet, did not provide financial terms.

The 6-3, 296-pound Wynn, who will turn 34 on Sept. 3 -- the day before the Giants open the regular season with a home game against the Redskins -- will become the second free agent who previously played for Tom Coughlin to sign with the Giants. Linebacker Danny Clark, who played three seasons for Coughlin with the Jaguars, signed in March.

Jacksonville drafted Wynn with the 21st overall pick in 1997 and he became a starter midway through the season. After notching a career-high five sacks in 2001, Wynn signed with the Redskins and remained in Washington for the next five seasons. Last year, he had 3 1/2 sacks in 12 games with the Saints.

Though he's listed as a defensive end, Wynn has also played inside at tackle and will likely fill that role with the Giants in obvious passing situations. Three-year veteran Justin Tuck currently plays a similar role while rotating with starters Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora at end.

The Giants are still waiting on a decision from Strahan on whether or not he will retire. Strahan refused to address the issue late last week when the Giants received their Super Bowl rings.

Really like this signing, good cheap veteran depth is a luxuary at DE, he may or may not make the final cut, hard to imagine he doesn't beat out Jeff Tollefson though. I don't expect much in the way of pass rush, but we really don't need him for that, as long as he's tough against the run, which to my recollection he's always been I'll be satisfied.

Dang, I'm gonna hate having to root against that guy.

i can't believe wynn, of all players, signed with a redskins rival... I know its a business and all that stuff, but I still get chills (and i don't get 'chills' or anything like that about football often) when I see his interview after the 14-13 game

i wonder if he'll still post here....

Report: Giants set to add 11-year veteran DE Wynn

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 2, 2008, 12:53 PM ET

Veteran defensive end Renaldo Wynn has agreed to a one-year deal with the defending champion New York Giants, The Star Ledger of Newark reported, according to a source close to the situation.

1206.jpg Wynn

The Giants add Wynn with end Osi Umenyiora featured as a defensive anchor and defensive end Michael Strahan undecided on whether he'll return for a 16th season.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, according to the report.

Wynn, an 11-year veteran out of Notre Dame, was the 21st overall pick for the Jaguars in 1997. He played 12 games for the Saints in 2007 after five seasons with the Redskins. He had 13 tackles and 3½ sacks with New Orleans last season.

Wynn will be reunited with coach Tom Coughlin, who coached the Jaguars from 1994 to 2002. According to the report, Wynn is expected to serve as a backup at tackle for the Giants in passing situations, a familiar role for the 33-year-old.

Wynn, 6-foot-3 and 296 pounds, recorded a career-high five sacks and 40 tackles with Jacksonville in 2001, his last year with the Jaguars.

Im not sure i like Wynn going to a team in the division. He may play with a chip on his 33 year old shoulder. I wonder how he fared against our O-line in practices before we let him go?? Anyone know where Big Joe ended up?

Im not sure i like Wynn going to a team in the division. He may play with a chip on his 33 year old shoulder. I wonder how he fared against our O-line in practices before we let him go?? Anyone know where Big Joe ended up?

Eh, I'm not too worried about Wynn.

Their D-line is already stacked, this doesn't really scare me more...but I'm still worried about how our O-line will fare against the G-Men.

Or that was the one team that gave him a call. Either way, I'm not rooting for him anymore while he's there unless he is trying to sack Romo sits to pee or Mcnaab.

:gaintsuck

Careful, you might hurt his feelings. :) It's not his fault we released him. And he's still a member of this board, AFAIK.

Archived