Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm a fair weather fan and big attention whore so lets talk about it. ( VERSION 2.0 )

AJ_Skins

I know this may not be of interest to anyone here, but since it's the offseason, it's probably no big deal. I haven't posted here in a while, but I was just thinking about it, and I realized my interest in the Redskins and the NFL pretty much ended when Joe Gibbs resigned.

The truth is, his coming back was the only thing that made me stick with it this long. As anyone with a clue knows, the Redskins under Dan Snyder are not a functioning operation from a football standpoint. From a profit standpoint, sure. On the field they are a disaster, and have been for almost a decade now. Their futility goes back even further, to the early 1990s, but somehow it managed to get even worse when Snyder took over. Gibbs provided a glimmer of hope, and he probably did improve the situation somewhat, but he proved you can't go back in time. Now that Snyder/Cerrato are back in charge, it will not take long for whatever positive gains Gibbs brought to the organization to dissolve.

For many years, ever since I was a kid, I was someone who would live and die with the Redskins every week. I can't do it anymore. I don't need to volunteer to involve myself in something that will only bring misery. At some point, you cease to be a loyal fan and simply become a sucker. My loyalty has been abused for too long, so I'm through.

Aside from the performance of the team, there are other factors. One big one is my experiences going to the games at FedEx. I don't know what's happened to the crowd, but it's gotten to the point where you feel like you're taking your life in your hands when you walk in there, half the crowd are fans of the other team, and everybody is just trying to prove how much more drunk and belligerent they can get then the guy next to them. I've seen kids and their parents in tears. It's shameful.

Then there is the bigger picture of the NFL as a whole. Pete Rozelle was a genius, who took a small time league and developed a formula that turned it into the #1 sport in America. That formula has been disintegrating ever since he retired. There are a number of factors, but what has been and is in the process of destroying the league is greed, plain and simple. Greed on the part of the players, and greed on the part of the owners. The greed of the players has given us free agency, and the greed of the owners has given us expansion. Those two elements together have destroyed the product on the field, and the unique loyalty that used to exist between teams and their fans.

Expansion by four teams has meant the overall talent pool of the league has been diluted. Each team has a 53 man roster, which means there are now 212 players in the NFL who would not have made the cut before. That's 12.5% of all players in the league who would not be there if it weren't for expansion. When you combine that with free agency, which prevents teams from holding on to players when another team offers them more money, you end up not only with rosters that have less overall talent, but also suffer from constant turnover, and a futile struggle to get a team to gel together in a complex system. As soon as somebody "gets it" and performs well, they're bought off by another team.

Some people think lifting the salary cap would fix everything, but they're deluded. With free agency and no salary cap, there would be no point to half the games being played, because it would be an unfair contest. The richer teams would have all the good players, and the other teams would have no way of retaining the rights to their own players the way they did before free agency. I suppose it could work out if the end result was that all the teams who couldn't compete dissolved and you ended up with a much smaller league of super teams, but that seems unlikely.

Like I said, this a long-winded post that probably isn't of interest to a lot of people, but it just sort of occurred to me that I have had no interest in the NFL at all this offseason. In the past I would get angry about this kind of stuff, but now I'm just indifferent. I'm not saying I'll never watch another football game, but this stuff of following a team, dissecting every move, investing a lot of emotion in hoping somehow this year will be different...I'm through. I have better things to do with my time.

I truly believe, although it will take some time, that the NFL is on a course that will eventually end up where all the other sports league have gone. MLB, the NBA, the NHL...niche interests that are lucky to get their championship games broadcast on ESPN. The loyalty between teams and fans is gone, and all of the non-commercial "principles" that the league used to embody are now a joke, and a relic of the past. Let a coach get up in front of one of these groups of multi-millionaires and say "there's no I in TEAM". He'll get a better laugh than most comedians. Then there is the general thug behavior, the obvious juicing that everybody pretends isn't happening, and so on.

I'm through wasting my time on a team that doesn't know how to win and doesn't seem to particularly care as long as the money's rolling in, and I'm through being a dutiful peon for the league as a whole, and its massive money-leeching machine. The NFL is no longer what it used to be in any way shape or form, and it's never going to be again. Now that Gibbs is gone, which was a sort of fitting last hurrah for my "fandom", I can't really muster the energy to care anymore, or bother. I may catch a game or two this season, but I'm not going to schedule it into my week. I've got better things to do.

I hope, for your sake, it is your last post...because you are about to get demolished by pretty much everybody.

I'm not really sure about that there are many ES'ers that just cringed at the thought of Snyder et al and what he's brought to this franchise. The product on the field speaks volumes about how successful the ownership is an just how rabid and gullible the fanbase is.

I truly believe, although it will take some time, that the NFL is on a course that will eventually end up where all the other sports league have gone. MLB, the NBA, the NHL...niche interests that are lucky to get their championship games broadcast on ESPN.
Really? The NHL? What ****ing planet do you live on? Despite what you "truly believe", the NFL has been and will continue to be the most popular sport in America BY FAR. 100 million people watched the Super Bowl in February!!

You make some very valid points. But I don't think the league is falling apart. I think it has grown at such an enormous rate that the NFL, owners, and players are struggling to keep up. Times are changing and we need fresh ideas to keep it fair. Look at Kodak. They should have folded when the digital camera was introduced and were near the edge but they realized that had to change also. And they did. That is what the NFL needs to do.

First, they need to address rookie salaries. The NFLPA can clammer all they want about rookie salaries driving vet salaries. To a degree, that might be true. But the negatives far outweigh the positives. If I owned a business and someone stepped in and said you have to give 60% of all your earnings to your employees, they could kiss my ***. I'm the one with my neck on the line, i'm the one employing several hundred people(including staff). I think there should be rookie minimum salary w/ a shorter contract. If the newcomers don't like it, they can play in the CFL or AFL. You know that won't happen.

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost your passion for the game. I truly hope you can find it again. I am hoping that the steps the league is taking now (renegotiating a new CBA, Goodell recognizing that fan behavior needs to be addressed, and stricter penalties for bad behavior) will favorably impact the league.

But if you just turn your back on the Skins and the league, your voice will not be heard. At least a well written letter to the league pointing out your concerns will be read. Maybe not by Goodell himself but by someone. A business does not like to hear that they have lost a consumer. Imagine if the league recieved 100 letters, or 100 letters per day.

I suspect there are quite a few people who have feelings similar to the OP. Just looking at all the significant upgrades this past month is a clue that more people are vacating their seats than usual this year.

While folks may have given up their seats, I'd venture to say that they will still watch the games on TV.

The OP has pretty much given up.

For many years, ever since I was a kid, I was someone who would live and die with the Redskins every week. I can't do it anymore. I don't need to volunteer to involve myself in something that will only bring misery. At some point, you cease to be a loyal fan and simply become a sucker. My loyalty has been abused for too long, so I'm through.

Good riddance.... and have fun watching baseball.

The Skins will rise again under the direction of our all-knowing and fearless leader, ZORN.

I don't care about people who quit on something they love. I wouldn't want you on my football team, and certainly wouldn't want you rooting for my football team.

The problem is not opposing fans at our games, it's the cowards like you who get excited when we fail- so you can run around and bash our owner/vp.

The Skins' community is stronger than ever. I believe in Zorn and this franchise... and I know I'm not alone. HTTR.

Really? The NHL? What ****ing planet do you live on? Despite what you "truly believe", the NFL has been and will continue to be the most popular sport in America BY FAR. 100 million people watched the Super Bowl in February!!

Yeah, I thought that was the most laughable part of the whole post/rant. I feel pretty confident in saying the NFL will never fall as far as the NHL, at least in my life time. In fact, I'd be willing to take it a step further and say the NFL will never be surpassed on the popularity scale by any other sport.

This post comes after one of the best off-seasons Snyder has ever had.

Yes, the NFL isn't what it used to be. In other current news I'm paying almost $4 a gallon for gas.

How about you just go ahead and root for a team who always wins that way you won't have to write depressing messages about how you can't stand to watch a team lose. Get out there with all those fair-weather Boston area fans, they don't care about anything that hasn't happened in the last 10 years (less time for some of their sports).

(I went to the O's game on Friday, there were more Boston fans there. But only 1 person in my section could name a Red Sox player who played for them before 2005.)

Uhh where were you the past 2 months? Most of us have been praising the FO for what they have been doing lately. However, I do respect your decision as painful as it is for me to accept. Don't bother coming back when we win the super bowl.

Yeah, if we win the superbowl he is going to become a fan again. :doh:

I HATE people like this, I don't care what your story is, you aren't a real fan if you give up on your team. I don't care how long you have put up with losing, you were never a real fan. End of story.

Yeah, if we win the superbowl he is going to become a fan again. :doh:

I HATE people like this, I don't care what your story is, you aren't a real fan if you give up on your team. I don't care how long you have put up with losing, you were never a real fan. End of story.

I agree 100%. I really hate the people who give up on a team for no valid reason. This guy is bashing the FO as if we traded for CJ. Yet the FO should be praised for these reasons

-Hiring of Zorn

-No FA overspending

-Excellent Draft

-Excellent Mini camp

-Trade for Erasmus James(BRILLIANT)

If this guy didn't consider any of this, he is not a fan. Period.

It's a mat with conclusions on it. . . . that you can jump to!

Why don't you give Zorn a chance to show that he is a better coach at this point than Joe Gibbs could hope to be. Gibbs was a great coach during the non-salary cap era and before he was neck deep in NASCAR and didn't have diabetes. But I honestly do not care if you never watch an NFL game again as long as we both live. I know I woke up this morning wishing it was August just so I could watch a preseason game.

Short version...

Some of your points are valid...

However...

Growing through them are part of being a fan, and the down-years make the up-years that much sweeter.

Sorry to see you go, but there will be someone else to take your place.

On the way out, can you post whatever jerseys and collectible stuff you have to give away?

Archived