Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama's speech to students - hypocritical anyone?

USS Redskins

This is from a column by Tammy Bruce (who is way hot BTW)

Obama’s speech on Sunday to Wesleyan graduates. He warned the 700+ undergraduates and 120 doctoral students of the “poverty of ambition” and essentially encouraged them to not pursue the American dream:

“You can take your diploma, walk off this stage and chase only after the big house and the nice suits and all the other things that our money culture says you should.” He continued, “But I hope you don’t.”

This from a 46-year-old man who is running for president, who made over $4 million last year, owns a nice home and wears plenty of expensive suits.

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/

This goes right along with the left wing Lear Jet crowd who chastise everyone else for polluting while they have $1,500 monthly electric bills and private plane rides.

The Democratic Mantra: "What is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the Gander."

“You can take your diploma, walk off this stage and chase only after the big house and the nice suits and all the other things that our money culture says you should.” He continued, “But I hope you don’t.”

This goes right along with the left wing Lear Jet crowd who chastise everyone else for polluting while they have $1,500 monthly electric bills and private plane rides.

The Democratic Mantra: "What is good for the goose is not necessarily good for the Gander."

Do as I say and not as I do

Well duh. He wants to them to be involved in public service, become a well rounded individual and etc.

Honestly, he is right. People judge each other on money, cars and houses. Do they judge on you on your personality or personal characteristics

Well duh. He wants to them to be involved in public service, become a well rounded individual and etc.

Honestly, he is right. People judge each other on money, cars and houses. Do they judge on you on your personality or personal characteristics

Word skinfan2k. Obama is not a hypocrite because the dude actually went out and served the public. After graduating from Harvard law magna cum laude, which for all you anti-intellectual types is Latin for "awesome" went to Chicago to work in voter registration. He COULD have gone out and joined a big law firm and turned into a big-shot lawyer, but he did not.

Hypocrite:

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

That sounds like someone who went to an elite university, made tons of money through family connections, but tries to act as some kind of everyman.

The American Dream is not a big house and nice suits. If it was such, then very few Americans would ever reach the American dream.

Word skinfan2k. Obama is not a hypocrite because the dude actually went out and served the public. After graduating from Harvard law magna cum laude, which for all you anti-intellectual types is Latin for "awesome" went to Chicago to work in voter registration. He COULD have gone out and joined a big law firm and turned into a big-shot lawyer, but he did not.

Hypocrite:

1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

That sounds like someone who went to an elite university, made tons of money through family connections, but tries to act as some kind of everyman.

The American Dream is not a big house and nice suits. If it was such, then very few Americans would ever reach the American dream.

Wow, he earned all the money he has working in voter registration?

This is from a column by Tammy Bruce (who is way hot BTW)

Obama’s speech on Sunday to Wesleyan graduates. He warned the 700+ undergraduates and 120 doctoral students of the “poverty of ambition” and essentially encouraged them to not pursue the American dream:

This from a 46-year-old man who is running for president, who made over $4 million last year, owns a nice home and wears plenty of expensive suits.

http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/

Have you forgotten where he came from?

He may have gotten rich from the books but the man is poor compared to Bush/Clinton/Kerry etc.

He spent alot of time working as an advocate for the poor, and he's a public servant. I don't think his goal in life has been to be rich and have a nice house.

Its obviously to kill babies, let the terrorists win and generally be a commie. :D

Wow, talk about cherrypicking a quote and using it out of context. I think this belongs in the out of context thread.

actual wording of speech:

http://wesleying.blogspot.com/2008/05/obamas-speech-as-prepared.html

Take the time to read it. Then comment if you disagree. Better yet, come back and tell me after reading the speech you think the commentary on the fox page in the OP isn't incredibly off base.

It's a call for public service. For better or worse, I've heard much the same at a lot of churches I've attended (the ones i've enjoyed more to be honest). Sentiment wise, it was very close to the graduation speech at my highschool (a Catholic Highschool).

It's a call to live out the best of us, to make the world a better place and not give in to cheap temptations or setbacks. I'd suggest a read. His speech writer(s) is/are great.

This is insane. I can't believe that anyone here would see anything negative in this speech. First of all, Obama himself turned down a ton of money to do public interest work after law school. Secondly, he is making a call-out for public service. How can that possible be a bad thing?

I guarantee that the exact same posters who jump in to attack Obama on this would be the first in line to honor Pat Tillman for giving up his lucrative NFL career to serve his country.

Just try to logically articulate the difference.

Wow, he earned all the money he has working in voter registration?

Wow, you earned all your money through killing civilians in Iraq? Or only you are allowed to play the completely-unrelated-to-the-topic-and-insinuating-stuff game? If you read Obama's speech, then... never mind, you have not read, you will not read it, and you prefer it that way.

I don't have a problem with what he said. It may come across hypocritical if you're really looking for that; but I'd rather him championing this ideal than it's opposite: "Life is short. Get all you can, however you can. Life is about getting power and getting stuff. Get as much of both as you can."

I don't see politicians of either side embracing the ascetic lifestyle anytime soon.

On the other hand, show me a politician campaigning that DOESN'T speak of ideals he/she hasn't always lived by.

I'm sorry, but I want a big house and a nice car. I missed the part where that makes me a bad person.

Democratic mantra for those who are in politics, indeed.

That does not make you a bad person, it makes you a bad person if that is ALL you want and that is how you judge other people. There are many Democrats who would agree with you.

Archived