Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parents asked to keep quiet in the stands during lacrosse games

China

Parents asked to keep quiet in the stands during lacrosse games

Tuesday, May 27 - 07:29:20 PM

Renee Bernard

PORT COQUITLAM (NEWS1130) - Imagine going to your kids' lacrosse game and being prevented from cheering.

The Port Coquitlam Minor Lacrosse Association is asking parents to be silent as they watch their kids' games. That means no yelling, no screaming, no cheering, not even clapping.

Why? The Association says it's a way to reduce stress for players and referees. Head referee Craig Labranche says typically referees are young, and a lot of abuse is is directed towards them.

The BC Lacrosse Association says they're a very proactive association, and while they don't have a problem with abuse of referees, they decided to do the 'silent stands' trial as an awareness campaign.

One parent, Richard Hall, who has two lacrosse players in the family, doesn't like the "silent stands" rule. He says he attends games in order to cheer for his kids.

Click on the link for the full article

Sounds dumb. Though, as our mothers used to say: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Perhaps it was decided that the fans generally fit in to the first category, and the consquence was the latter.

Sounds dumb. Though, as our mothers used to say: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Perhaps it was decided that the fans generally fit in to the first category, and the consquence was the latter.

They do this in my area (and have for some time) for soccer games. The parents are worse than any kid when it comes to "trash talking".

At my 9 year old son's baseball game last week a parent from the opposing team was telling his son (the pitcher) to just throw the ball over the plate because the batter swings like a little girl....he's not going to hit it. Really.

He was approached by some of the dads from our team and spoken to and he did back down a little...parents can be pricks.

That reminds me of something that happened to me not too long ago.

I'm an avid supporter of American University women's basketball. Up until this year, they barely registered on the local radar and they get very little support. So, since I have friends on the coaching staff, and it is my alma mater, I go to the games. hoop and holler, and heckle the opposing team.

Now, I NEVER use racial slurs, call anyone out of their names or call up things from their personal lives. And I'll also never use the phrase that ends with the word "suck." I'll chant players' names while they're shooting at the foul line and razz them during the starting line-ups. Well, one of the old fogeys who also attends the games said I should stop altogether because it's "creepy" and "negative," and lacks sportsmanship. I argued that A) it's a basketball game and B) if you went to the University of Maryland or Duke and heard some of chants that are uttered at their games, she'd realize that what I do is EXTREMELY mild in comparison. Frankly, I've spoken to some of the players and they find it funny. A couple of them even says it pumps them up. If the other team is distracted, then I've done my job as a fan.

Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with cheering for your team, as long as you don't go over the line -- like the gentleman who said the player "hit like a girl" did. I can see why some people could be worried, but as long as it's policed, there should be no problem. Would you like to see this happen at FedEx Field, just to use an example?

That reminds me of something that happened to me not too long ago.

I'm an avid supporter of American University women's basketball. Up until this year, they barely registered on the local radar and they get very little support. So, since I have friends on the coaching staff, and it is my alma mater, I go to the games. hoop and holler, and heckle the opposing team.

Now, I NEVER use racial slurs, call anyone out of their names or call up things from their personal lives. And I'll also never use the phrase that ends with the word "suck." I'll chant players' names while they're shooting at the foul line and razz them during the starting line-ups. Well, one of the old fogeys who also attends the games said I should stop altogether because it's "creepy" and "negative," and lacks sportsmanship. I argued that A) it's a basketball game and B) if you went to the University of Maryland or Duke and heard some of chants that are uttered at their games, she'd realize that what I do is EXTREMELY mild in comparison. Frankly, I've spoken to some of the players and they find it funny. A couple of them even says it pumps them up. If the other team is distracted, then I've done my job as a fan.

Having said all that, there's nothing wrong with cheering for your team, as long as you don't go over the line -- like the gentleman who said the player "hit like a girl" did. I can see why some people could be worried, but as long as it's policed, there should be no problem. Would you like to see this happen at FedEx Field, just to use an example?

Stuart, we need to get you laid. :)

...parents can be pricks.

They are pricks indeed, because the kids take away from this dumb behavior a concern over whether they are getting correct calls, rather than focussing on trying to learn and play the game.

In spite of coaching and reffing for years, I'm still surprised at how stupid some are.

Recently I was umpiring a game involving 4th grade beginners playing field hockey. I umpired the sport at a national adult level in Europe. I think I'm pretty well skilled and capable of handling 4th grade beginners :). Every single American dad there has absolutely no idea what the rules of the sport even are and yet some are still talking **** behind my back about every decision. :doh:

While the ruling in the OPP seems dumb, and it's easy to say throw out the trash talkers, that assumes you have people in the crowd monitoring this. Maybe a little polite golf applause should be permitted. :)

If the other team is distracted, then I've done my job as a fan.

I've always thought that kind of behavior is childish. :2cents:

When playing sport competitively we would always respond to any trash talking or disrespect by fans by running up the score.:)

I've always thought that kind of behavior is childish. :2cents:

When playing sport competitively we would always respond to any trash talking or disrespect by fans by running up the score.:)

That's disrespectful to the opposing team, not just the fans.

You just have to tune it out.

When I went to my middle school basketball game and was trying to cheer on my team some lady like 3 seats down kept giving me dirty looks. I wasn't being out of line...you are supposed to be loud at a ball game, I would scream defence and things like that.

What is the world coming to? :doh:

Reason # 72 that lacrosse is extremely ghey.

Don't be a tool.

Have you ever played lacrosse, or just attempt to watch it?

I imagine it is the latter.

Lacrosse is becoming very popular, and is extremely fun to play.

The rule itself is over the top and dumb .. but I understand what they're reacting to. There are way too many nutjob, high blood pressure parents at ball games who make fools out of themselves and often embarrass the hell out of their poor kids. I've never understood how some adults can take youth athletics so damn seriously.

I've never understood how some adults can take youth athletics so damn seriously.

I've never understood how adults, in general, can take athletics in general so seriously.

It's just a game.

Says the Extremeskins addict... :doh: :silly:

If the parents are abusive, kick them out.

If they refuse to leave, the team forfeits.

Get the police that are probably at the game involved, that will shut them up.

Don't make them be quiet, thats ****ing stupid.

Well put!

Don't be a tool.

Have you ever played lacrosse, or just attempt to watch it?

I imagine it is the latter.

Lacrosse is becoming very popular, and is extremely fun to play.

Ever heard the George Carlin routine about is it a game, sport or activity? His conclusion is lacrosse is faggoty college activity.

If the parents are abusive, kick them out.

If they refuse to leave, the team forfeits.

Get the police that are probably at the game involved, that will shut them up.

Don't make them be quiet, thats ****ing stupid.

Who performs this role? The league now has to have observers at every game monitoring the crowd?

It appears that the problem got bad enough that the league had to take action. The parents can STFU until they learn some class. Message sent. :)

Archived