Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm about to test for a job in Federal Law Enforcement.

Mickalino

I'm booked to go to Chicago on June 7th to take testing for a position in Federal Law Enforcement. It's the first in a series of steps I plan to take to become a Border Patrol Agent. Obviously, it's an extensive background search, and I feel good about my background history, except for one thing - my medical history - specifically "mental illness"

When I was a teenager, I was an inpatient at a Psychiatric hospital for about 6 months, on heavy medication, then went a couple years with outpatient treatment. Then I quit medication cold-turkey when I was about 23, and stayed off of it until recently.

Now I'm in my 30's and I see a psychiatrist as an outpatient, once every 2 months, and take 2 medications on low doses. Will the Feds investigate my Doctors and find out what they disgnosed me with ? I want to find out if this type of "mental illness" treatment will deem me incapable of carrying a weapon. But I don't want to ask the Border Patrol people, because I don't want to volunteer information that could incriminate me, and raise a red flag. Which is why I'm asking anyone here with knowledge on the subject - will my "medical history" disqualify me from a job like this ? But then again, since it's the Feds, they're probably going to find out everything about me anyway, so maybe it wouldn't hurt at all to ask them, what do you all think ?

Or maybe will the Feds do their OWN testing to see if I'm psychiatrically capable, I hope ???

Requirement number 1: You must be a racist according to some psoters on ES

And I've heard from other posters here that they will refuse to hire you if they find out that you are a Christian, so you better keep that to yourself. :)

My thinking:

The first thing you need to do is ask yourself: If your employment is conditional upon your ability to successfully conceal these conditions, then do you even want the job?

If you conceal it now, then you've put yourself on a path where you're forced to conceal it forever, under the threat of losing your job. (And you've put yourself on a path where there's always a threat that they'll find out.)

(I'll also point out: If you go down that road, you also run the risk that somebody else finds out, and then you're a law enforcement officer who's subject to blackmail.)

I suspect that, if you consider it in that light, you'll decide that, if that's the price you have to pay for this job, then you don't want it.

If that's the case, then I'd say the course is: Tell them about it now. That way, if they're going to turn you down, then you'll find out about it before you've jumped through a bunch of hoops (and built up your expectations) for nothing.

(Gee, it's easy to be High and Moral when you're discussing somebody else's future.)

Thanks, Larry, I took your advice.

I called them and was totally candid about my past and present, and they gave me a realistic view of what my chances were, as far as the Medical Staff approving me.

Hey, doesn't honesty feel good?

Go out. Celebrate. Knock back a few. Fire a few rounds at some Hispanics. :)

Requirement number 1: You must be a racist according to some posters on ES
Go out. Celebrate. Knock back a few. Fire a few rounds at some Hispanics. :)

Hey Larry, I think you should apply - you qualify, since it looks like you're racist, too :)

I was planning on becoming a DEA agent but they wont accept color deficient people. So I guess that means I can only be a city or state cop. :(
DEA? Ugh, why'd you wanna be one of those scumbags?

They absolutely will check your entire medical history, Mick. Even for my small-town PD, I had to sign a waiver for them to check mine; and I'm sure the feds do an even more thorough investiagtion.

I hate to say this, truly, but I'd be prepared for rejection. (Sorry, but I have to be honest.) Unfortunately in law enforcement, they prefer to have people with uncontrolled psychiatric disorders it seems, as opposed to those people who take the medication that makes them well.

It's not right. But that's the way it is.

That being said, I wish you the very best. I think you would be great for the job.

Archived