Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

more hurdles for transracial adoption needed?

gbear

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/27/tranracial.adoption.ap/index.html

I have to say I cringe at the thought of yet more training.

Is not living with daughter and talking about my experiences raising her with the help of all of my friends time better spent than time in a class room? I will admit, there has certainly been a lot I didn't know going in. You mean you don't wash a Black kid's hair with every bath or shower? :doh: But most of these questions are things I found just by asking around amongst my friends. I guess if one doesn't live in an enviroment where there are people to ask, this would be great. It's just that in my limited 2 year experience I've learned more over casual conversation with asking for advice than I can imagine being taught in a class room. At some point, it has to be "do" not "go read how."

Sorry, I'm just a bit bummed about having to do this on top of another 30 hours of continuing ed a year for medical fostercare. Where do these hours come from? The sarcastic side of me today just says "Oh boy! More paperwork!" The realistic side of me says there is probably a lot of stuff I don't even know I don't know so I shold be in the front of the line to sign up for the class if offered even if it is after we addopt.

Hillary said it takes a village to raise a child. That's crap. It takes at least one prefferable two engaged concerned and responsible parrents. That won't stop the village from butting their nose in....

So does this only affect kids being adopted from foster care? Is this only for domestic adoptions?

I ask because we recently adopted a Chinese girl, and my brother-in-law and his wife just adopted from Ethiopia, and neither of us has to deal with any requirements for racial training.

The realistic side of me says there is probably a lot of stuff I don't even know I don't know

Not that you don't deserve to ***** a little but in the end you just gotta grin and bear it. No pun intended...well maybe. :silly:

Sorry bro, hang in there, as usual, and it'll be over before you know it. I honestly do wish I could help.

So does this only affect kids being adopted from foster care? Is this only for domestic adoptions?

I ask because we recently adopted a Chinese girl, and my brother-in-law and his wife just adopted from Ethiopia, and neither of us has to deal with any requirements for racial training.

Are you planning on doing anything special for her with regard to Chinese culture? Just wondering because Chinese culture is so rich it would be really cool to expose her to it growing up.

My daughter is five. She's fluent in Farsi and can converse in Aribic. She's also learning Hebrew. She's a little freaking sponge. I'm very jealous.

Are you planning on doing anything special for her with regard to Chinese culture? Just wondering because Chinese culture is so rich it would be really cool to expose her to it growing up.

My daughter is five. She's fluent in Farsi and can converse in Aribic. She's also learning Hebrew. She's a little freaking sponge. I'm very jealous.

She's already taking Chinese language classes. When she's older we'll see if she's interested in Wushu. I'm sure there will be other things, but we don't have them planned out yet.

Will they provide training to minorities who adopt white kids too?

I think the issue is in the United States a white kid doesn't have a lack of opprotunity to learn about all the great stuff Amerca and whites have done. America doesn't always do the best job in recognizing the greatness in other cultures be them African, Asian or Middle easterners.

If you have a little kid, exposing them to some of the historic greatness of their native cultures can really inspire them and help them cope with our elimentary and high school education system which realy stresses American and western European accomplishments.

It's about balance.

She's already taking Chinese language classes. When she's older we'll see if she's interested in Wushu. I'm sure there will be other things, but we don't have them planned out yet.

That's awsome... good luck to you..

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/27/tranracial.adoption.ap/index.html

I have to say I cringe at the thought of yet more training.

Is not living with daughter and talking about my experiences raising her with the help of all of my friends time better spent than time in a class room? I will admit, there has certainly been a lot I didn't know going in. You mean you don't wash a Black kid's hair with every bath or shower? :doh: But most of these questions are things I found just by asking around amongst my friends. I guess if one doesn't live in an enviroment where there are people to ask, this would be great. It's just that in my limited 2 year experience I've learned more over casual conversation with asking for advice than I can imagine being taught in a class room. At some point, it has to be "do" not "go read how."

Sorry, I'm just a bit bummed about having to do this on top of another 30 hours of continuing ed a year for medical fostercare. Where do these hours come from? The sarcastic side of me today just says "Oh boy! More paperwork!" The realistic side of me says there is probably a lot of stuff I don't even know I don't know so I shold be in the front of the line to sign up for the class if offered even if it is after we addopt.

Sure they're making you jump thru hurdles.Probably a reaction to failed adoptions of the past.But at the end of the day you've done a wonderful thing and people will be more responsive than resentful.

You'll gladly remember these days ,when but in the a few short :doh: years some punk kid will show up at your door to take her on her first date.

Will they provide training to minorities who adopt white kids too?

Oh, it's the poor, poor downtrodden white man again. :rolleyes:

Besides JMS' points, for the most part, other than the kids nobody seems to want (i.e. older kids, minorities, multiples, handicapped etc.) there's not a big shortage of parents for white kids. Heck, in GA they have such a problem with placing minority kids that they give the same incentives to prospective parents to take a minority child as they do for the disabled kids. In general, I'm sure they strongly "steer" minorities wanting to adopt towards minority kids of the same race so I'd be shocked if the scenario you describe happens much at all.

One of my other problems with this plan is that I feel I've been exposed to far more Black culture than Hispanic. Despite that, from the sounds of things I'll have to take time that I don't have for diversity training to adopt my daughter, but for my Hispanic son....? Who is going to teach that one? That said, I already ask my Puerto Rican coworkers everything I can think of.

I think most good parents already pick the brains of anyone around them for info for their kids. Most of the good foster parents I know pick the brain for cultural background to give the kids too. I personally think legislating an interest isn't going to be effective. Those that are good are already doing what the classes would hope to accomplish.

I just get more and more annoyed thinking about this. It seemed everyone in the article was saying it was a good idea, but their parents didn't need it because they were the exception. I'd like to see more kids saying their parents would have done a better job with it...otherwise it's just one of those things "everybody else" should have to do. The kids (now adults) I spoke with all seem to think it's pure fluff.

Well, I keep hoping my daughter's addoption goes through quickly this year. Maybe my wife and I will be spared. Seriously from a work's perspective, I already budgeted out a weeks vacation to celebrate our adoption. I'll be annoyed if my wife and I spend it in a class room instead.

Archived