Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Cowboys Pro Bowl CB sounds off on Williams

sableholic

Fresh off signing a contract extension that includes $22 million in guaranteed money, Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman went on my good pal Mike Doocy's TV show Sunday night.

After some friendly banter about Newman's contract, Doocy asked him about the controversy surrounding safety Roy Williams. I expected Newman to say all the right things, but he ended up saying Williams looked like a "deer-in-headlights" at times last season and had a "bad year" in coverage.

Newman went on to say some complimentary things about his teammate, but it's pretty telling that a team leader would make those first couple of comments. And please notice the entertaining editorial comments provided by DCFanatic.com in the video.

In case you've missed the other 27 times I've teased to my recent Roy Williams column, here ya go.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-325/Cowboys-Pro-Bowl-CB-sounds-off-on-Williams.html

Not really what you want to hear your teammate saying in a interview, but don't worry I'm sure he'll still make the pro bowl somehow..

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-325/Cowboys-Pro-Bowl-CB-sounds-off-on-Williams.html

Not really what you want to hear your teammate saying in a interview, but don't worry I'm sure he'll still make the pro bowl somehow..

Agreed. It looks like there may be a fire brewing between RW and his secondary teammates. RW has no one to blame but himself. Who would have thought he would turn into an Archuleta-type? I want him off of my team!!

Prissy-co on RW

Dallas Cowboys

Overrated: S Roy Williams. They should retire this spot for him. He has been overrated for years -- he won my overall honor a few years ago -- but he still goes to Pro Bowls. How?

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/10843371

ES is on the cutting edge because we've been saying he's overrated for years. Why'd it take everybody else so long to catch up?

He made the Pro Bowl because Pro Bowl voting is a farce.

the Wade Phillips locker room

Geez Bubba, you're such a blind Skins homer. Everyone knows Wade has complete control over this team, and even if he didn't, Romo sits to pee's unsurpassed excellence and Barber's rising star would be more than enough to catapult the Cowboys to at least 13 wins again.

And maybe this time, a playoff win?

~heh heh heh. That one never gets old...

ES is on the cutting edge because we've been saying he's overrated for years. Why'd it take everybody else so long to catch up?

Because you think EVERY Cowboy is overrated and EVERY Cowboy sucks. Doesn't hold much weight. Roy is overrated but not as bad as he's getting slammed either. He needs to get his act together improve his attitude and dedicate himself. He can learn a lot from a guy like Zack Thomas.

Because you think EVERY Cowboy is overrated and EVERY Cowboy sucks. Doesn't hold much weight. Roy is overrated but not as bad as he's getting slammed either. He needs to get his act together improve his attitude and dedicate himself. He can learn a lot from a guy like Zack Thomas.

Parsimony is a godsend, so I'll help you out here:

Roy Williams needs to stop being terrible.

Hyperbole will get you nowhere.

We've been saying for a few years that Roy sucks in coverage. It's been true the whole time. Since Woodson left Roy has struggled. It's no secret to anyone who watched him.

Besides, this is coming from someone who based Sean Taylor's coverage skills (or lack thereof) on a year when it was obvious he was trying to do more than just his own job out there. Anybody but Cowboy fans who continually tried to say Roy was better than Sean in coverage could see it. Pulling out crap stats and basing it on Pro Bowls. Anybody who watches the game and can decipher some of what is going on could tell you that Sean was a gifted guy who tried to do too much and was putting himself out of postion because of the failure of those around him. Once he got that security of guys around him doing their jobs last year, he was showing what he could do.

Roy has never equaled his rookie year. He never progressed, he's just regressed.

You can brush it off as blind hatred on my part, but the truth is out there for the viewing.

Well, I can tell you this. I've thought for some years that Jason Witten's a beast, Newman's a beast, DeMarcus Ware....****ing animal, Flozell's a damn good player, Romo sits to pee's a hell of a QB. None of those guys are overrated. Roy Williams however is and has been overrated and will soon be a non factor in the NFL period. If he only played 10-15 years earlier he would've dominated but players of his skill set have been phased out of the NFL game by the matchup heavy, spread em out offenses that are prevalent now. See Archuleta, Adam.

Well, I can tell you this. I've thought for some years that Jason Witten's a beast, Newman's a beast, DeMarcus Ware....****ing animal, Flozell's a damn good player, Romo sits to pee's a hell of a QB. None of those guys are overrated. Roy Williams however is and has been overrated and will soon be a non factor in the NFL period. If he only played 10-15 years earlier he would've dominated but players of his skill set have been phased out of the NFL game by the matchup heavy, spread em out offenses that are prevalent now. See Archuleta, Adam.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't think you'll find a Redskins fan on this board who won't acknowledge the mentioned players as absolute standouts and aren't pissed that they're in those horrible colors.

There are some damned good players on your team who suck only because of that ridiculous star on the side of their helmet.

Roy Williams is one who sucks because of how he plays.

I think Woodson even said that the defense made it too easy on Williams. Something to the tune of just telling Roy where to be and not allowing him to understand why. To his credit, RW was a punishing hitter.

But having a teammate say he looked like a "deer in the headlights" on some plays. That should have stayed inhouse. Unless he was told to say it....hmmmmm. I never thought I'd feel bad for a Pukes player but RW's fall from grace shows in his face. At the end of the day, he's a man trying to hold on to the thing he loves, and his teammates aren't helping.

Archived