Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Clayton: Seven non-moves that may be costly

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3411911

Click link for entire article

Recently, I offered an early look at my surprise teams -- the teams that have the best chance to improve by three or four wins in 2008. Carolina, St. Louis, Oakland, Buffalo and the New York Jets were my top five, although I reserve the right to make adjustments at the end of training camp.

But several teams missed chances to improve this offseason, failing to make moves in key areas. Here are the top seven non-moves of the offseason:

6. Cowboys' inability to land quality receiver

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones spent the offseason trying to find a new, exciting addition to an aging receiving corps. Striking out completely in efforts to acquire Roy Williams of the Lions, Anquan Boldin of the Cardinals and Chad Johnson of the Bengals, Jones is talking about using Pacman Jones a little at wide receiver. Don't bet that'll work out.

To be fair, the Cowboys' owner had no hopes of landing any of those receivers. Their teams weren't trading them. Plus, Jones and other teams felt no receiver was good enough to go in the first round. Still, the Cowboys' receiver issues remain. Terry Glenn needs microfracture knee surgery, but he's staying away from the knife to salvage one more season. If Glenn doesn't play this season, the Cowboys will be thin at receiver.

Thats funny. I missed the fact that the season started today or next week. There is still plenty of time to make a trade and players noone ever thinks of become available around training camp every year. If Jerry decides they need another WR, they will go get one. Noone saw Chris Chambers becoming available last year and something similar could very well happen this year.

can Glenn really just NOT have surgery? seems like if he needs microfracture it is pretty serious and wont be a choice.

isnt that the surgery that the center from portland had where they put a bunch of tiny holes in the knee??

Not really a choice in getting the surgery, just when. He can roll the dice and hope if holds up this year but for his long-term health, he will need to get this done.

Not really a choice in getting the surgery, just when. He can roll the dice and hope if holds up this year but for his long-term health, he will need to get this done.

gambling with your knees is a BIG risk. Its not like getting a root canal or something, your knees are a HUGE impact on your life.

:2cents:

Kinda interesting how Clayton didn't mention our aging defensive line since we didn't pressure Seattle at all in the playoff game

how old do you think Montgomery, Golston and Carter are? :laugh:

Griffin is only 31-32 tops

Daniels is the only one getting NFL old, and both of his backups are in the mid 20's (Wilson & Evans)

gambling with your knees is a BIG risk. Its not like getting a root canal or something, your knees are a HUGE impact on your life.

:2cents:

Thus, the mindset of many NFL football players. There's probably more than a few that get on their knees and pray medicine continues to improve to help ensure they'll be able to take a walk with their grandkids someday.

Thus, the mindset of many NFL football players. There's probably more than a few that get on their knees and pray medicine continues to improve to help ensure they'll be able to take a walk with their grandkids someday.

I look at Earl Campbell and shudder. I could never imagine being a prisoner in my own body.

Thats funny. I missed the fact that the season started today or next week. There is still plenty of time to make a trade and players noone ever thinks of become available around training camp every year. If Jerry decides they need another WR, they will go get one. Noone saw Chris Chambers becoming available last year and something similar could very well happen this year.

This is what I've been arguing with Dwinzit, Goaldeje and others for the past few weeks. It's very early in the offseason and we've yet to figure out all of the developments from player improvement to who may become available in the near future.

This is what I've been arguing with Dwinzit, Goaldeje and others for the past few weeks. It's very early in the offseason and we've yet to figure out all of the developments from player improvement to who may become available in the near future.

Keep hoping you get a WR, because you need one.

Jerruh won't let your #2 practice...why is that? She says she's healthy...

Although if you're advising the "lets wait and see" approach (something I do at times in the stadium), asking message board fans even on your teams home board to "wait and see" before jumping on every possible flaw, or golden nugget, way before they can know anything yet, is going against the laws of physics. Now if you then expect it to work regarding your team on your rival's message board....

:D :laugh:

This is what I've been arguing with Dwinzit, Goaldeje and others for the past few weeks.
They're saying the same thing as Clayton, only he's sugar coating it. They're some smart dudes!:D

The Panthers QB situation and the Cowboys WR position should be higher then 6 and 7.

Although if you're advising the "lets wait and see" approach (something I do at times in the stadium), asking message board fans even on your teams home board to "wait and see" before jumping on every possible flaw, or golden nugget, way before they can know anything yet, is going against the laws of physics. Now if you then expect it to work regarding your team on your rival's message board....

:D :laugh:

I hear you man. In all fairness, if I were a skins fan (YIKES! :yikes: ), I'd be quick to point out this particular flaw with the Cowboys. This is a message board. People will talk. I just think that hatred sometimes clouds good sound judgment.

EDIT: I realize "sound judgment" especially from the eyes of a Boys fan is not necessarily the point here. I get it guys.

Very early? The offseason has been going on for you guys since the 3rd week of the playoffs. That was very early. The entire month of February was very early. We're now closing in on TC. At best, we're in the latter half of the offseason.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones spent the offseason trying to find a new, exciting addition to an aging receiving corps. Striking out completely in efforts to acquire Roy Williams of the Lions, Anquan Boldin of the Cardinals and Chad Johnson of the Bengals, Jones is talking about using Pacman Jones a little at wide receiver. Don't bet that'll work out.

To be fair, the Cowboys' owner had no hopes of landing any of those receivers. Their teams weren't trading them. Plus, Jones and other teams felt no receiver was good enough to go in the first round. Still, the Cowboys' receiver issues remain. Terry Glenn needs microfracture knee surgery, but he's staying away from the knife to salvage one more season. If Glenn doesn't play this season, the Cowboys will be thin at receiver.

Sounds about right to me. The Cowboys could stand to benefit if they could acquire some young WR talent. But the opportunity has to be there. There just isn't enough WR talent out there right now.

]']Very early? The offseason has been going on for you guys since the 3rd week of the playoffs. That was very early. The entire month of February was very early. We're now closing in on TC. At best' date=' we're in the latter half of the offseason.[/quote']

Still early in my eyes. Rosters haven't taken shape yet and potential emerging young guys haven't had a chance to prove themselves. We have June 1st cuts and as another poster pointed out, last years Chris Chambers deal was done even going into the season.

Click link for entire article

Recently, I offered an early look at my surprise teams -- the teams that have the best chance to improve by three or four wins in 2008. Carolina, St. Louis, Oakland, Buffalo and the New York Jets were my top five, although I reserve the right to make adjustments at the end of training camp.

But several teams missed chances to improve this offseason, failing to make moves in key areas. Here are the top seven non-moves of the offseason:

When ESPN thinks they have a clue, they will get people to run with it. When Dallas needed a WR last year, how bad did they do offensively? THat same player may or may not play, if we already played without him and did how well again? Again, do we really need another vet WR?

Now this all stems from JJ testing the waters with RW and CJ. I dont think this story even broke til after JJ tested the waters and ESPN got wind of it and went with it. Now its a storm people wont let go, evidence be damned. ITs just getting old like saying the SKins are going to be in cap hell. Does it end?

']LOL' date=' you guys are obsessed with the Cowboys. They haven't even done anything in over a decade to be jealous of or obsess about.[/quote']

I hate them. Their fans. Their stupid star. Their immature fans. And they smell...like poop. :laugh:

Archived