Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark The Homer

Jerseys - Game-Worn, Team-Issued, Authentic, Replica, Fake, and everything in between

I wear L T shirts.

For gamers, 46 fits me well. It's gonna be a bit tight, but it's a good tight. Spandex doesn't look good when it's loose, ya know.

For authentics, I'd go 48.

I'm 5'10, and say 165.

Gamers are tough.

I buy mine large, I'm 5'8" and 155, because in December I like to fit a coat underneath it. What's the point in buying a jersey and wearing it if you can't show it?

Great thread Mark.

I've got this one, minus the autograph:

sammyjersey.jpg

Anybody know why Mitchell & Ness seem to only be making Theisman jersey's for the Redskins now? I remember they used to have Baugh, Huff, Sonny, D. Williams, Theisman, and Ricky Ervins. What gives?

Gamers are tough.

I buy mine large, I'm 5'8" and 155, because in December I like to fit a coat underneath it. What's the point in buying a jersey and wearing it if you can't show it?

Try layers. If it's really cold, I'll wear up to 6-7 layers: T shirt, long underwear, long sleeve T shirt, sweat shirt, sweater, hoodie sweatshirt, jersey. Usually that will keep me toasty warm.
Great thread Mark.

I've got this one, minus the autograph:

sammyjersey.jpg

Anybody know why Mitchell & Ness seem to only be making Theisman jersey's for the Redskins now? I remember they used to have Baugh, Huff, Sonny, D. Williams, Theisman, and Ricky Ervins. What gives?

Thanks. Re M&N, because all their jerseys are limited edition. Once they sell out, that's it. If you really want one, I'd set up eBay to alert you by email when one shows up. Then wait.

Try layers. If it's really cold, I'll wear up to 6-7 layers: T shirt, long underwear, long sleeve T shirt, sweat shirt, sweater, hoodie sweatshirt, jersey. Usually that will keep me toasty warm.

Mark, you mean to tell me you were toasty warm during the Bears game last year? If you were, then your nose is growing.

Yep. That was the Saturday night game where Campbell got hurt and Collins came in, right? It was cold that night. I was sitting in either 240 or 239 row 6 right below the Owner's Club windows. I was toasty warm - maybe because of the heat coming out of the windows? I don't know. But I was toasty. :)

Redskins Game jerseys have been made by Ripon Athletic in Berlin, Wisconsin since about 1992.

Might be time to switch back to whatever they were wearing before. A little too coincidental a date.

Well, the way I understand it, MacGregor Sand-Knit was the company before Ripon. They went bankrupt, so Ripon bought the factory and took over jersey operations using the same equipment and hiring many of the same people as before.

I think it's kind of interesting that the league began putting logos of other athletic manufacturers on the jerseys at about this time (Starter, Adidas, and Reebok) as another way to generate revenue - sort of the same way many of the NFL owners began naming their stadiums after corporations for the same reason.

Hey Mark

Where should I look for a authentic Kilmer. I know he has a limited fan base But I for one would love to sport a Real Billy. Thank you for this thread and thanks if you have any help on the Kilmer.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Don't buy a jersey skin-tight, because when that Sun starts dropping at 5:00, you'll want some room for layers.

Hey Mark

Where should I look for a authentic Kilmer. I know he has a limited fan base But I for one would love to sport a Real Billy. Thank you for this thread and thanks if you have any help on the Kilmer.

That's gonna be a tough order to fill. I'm a Kilmer fan - I watched him play in the SB! But I have no idea how to find the jersey you describe. Sorry.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Don't buy a jersey skin-tight, because when that Sun starts dropping at 5:00, you'll want some room for layers.
Well, don't forget - the gamers stretch! If Renaldo Wynn at 291 pounds can wear a 46, I can too, even with layers. :)

Have a mixture of jerseys. I have the replithentic(Portis all jerseys, Moss Burgundy and White, Cooley Burgduny and white, Campbell 75th and White, Taylor Burgundy, Arrington Burgundy). Have the replica jerseys (fletcher). Have Authentic (Portis Burgundy 75th patch, 70th Bailey, 70th Smoot, Taylor White). Have knock off ebay jerseys galore (Taylor, Landry, Cooley, Moss, Arrington).

Reebok is the NFL uniform sponsor but Ripon Athletic actually manufactures them and supplies them to the teams.

Does Reebok then actually pay money to the NFL or Ripon? How does the money flow? Do the teams actually get the uniforms for free?

1. Reebok pays the NFL which shares the money with the teams. The teams buy the uniforms from Ripon.

2. Reebok pays Ripon and the teams either get the uniforms for free or a discount.

In all scenarios is the net flow of money into the NFL or into Ripon?

I guess what I am asking is what is the cost of the Reebok sponsorship deal per year vs a years worth of NFL (combined/all 32 teams) uniform supply?

When the deal is up and say Russell takes over...Ripon still makes them?

If you're asking me, everything I know is just stuff I've picked up over the years, or assumptions based on things I've seen.

My assumption is, Reebok pays the league for the right to display their logo on game gear, much like FedEx pays the Redskins for the right to display their logo on Redskins stadium.

My assumption is, Ripon agrees to manufacture the game jerseys for the league for a price. The league pays them. Ripon agrees not to display their logo, but instead display the sponsor's logo, whomever it may be.

I also assume Reebok manufactures the non-game retail stuff, like authentic and replica jerseys. But I believe they sub it out to other operations overseas, who do it in "sweat shops" for a very small cost. You can google it and read about it if you want.

What is the cost of the Reebok sponsorship deal? I have no idea. I assume it's confidential. I've never seen it discussed anywhere.

It's my understanding that this deal with Reebok was the first of its kind - in that it was league-wide. For example, before Reebok, there were a number of logos used by different team jerseys. But starting in 2002, Reebok became the logo of the league and was used on all team jerseys.

If Russell takes over -- Russell may be capable of manufacturing jerseys since they did it in the past - this is according to a pic of a jock tag on a Riggins game jersey that I saw. But I suppose they'd have to bid against Ripon. Or, who knows, maybe Ripon's current contract is in force for another 5 years - and Russell won't have that opportunity next year. But still, the right to manufacture other non-game retail gear would bring in a pretty significant amount of business, I think.

Would the Reebok logo be replaced with Russell?

If Russell is the sponsor, then yes, of course. If Russell is simply the new manufacturer of gamers but not the sponsor, then I suppose Russell would have to pay the league for the right to display their logo. And they would probably have to compete with other Athletic manufacturers for that right too. So it could go either way.

That's the way I understand it.

Somehow, I think Ripon will be hard to out-bid for making game jerseys. They've been doing it for a long time. And their jerseys are NICE. :)

Mark,

Very good informative stuff!!

I have several game worn jerseys that I have gotten at the sales at FedEX Field. My favorite place to get jerseys is a little stall in the Patapsco flea market in Baltimore. They sell knock off Mitchell and Ness jerseys. I have bought a Riggins and a Larry Brown. It is really impossible to tell that they are fake. They go for 70.00 each. I havent been there in a couple of years. I hope that he is still there.

Thanks!

Hmm. The Patapsco flea market. You should post some pics. Do you have a real M & N jersey to compare your knock offs to?

Seriously, post some pics.

Here are a few of the nice knock off jerseys I got on eBay.

My 1987 Doug Williams is a Mitchell and Ness Knock Off. It is all mesh like the Jerseys were in 1987 but the numbers are sewn on and not press on like the actual jersey.

I added the Super Bowl XXII Patch later and I usually wear it during my Super Bowl Party every year.

DWilliamsFront-1.jpg?t=1212857945

DWilliamsBack-1.jpg?t=1212857509

My Sean Taylor Jersey has cuffed sleeves like the actual Redskins Jersey. The numbers are double layered sewn on but the "REDSKINS" Logo below NFL Shield does no look entirely like what is on the uniform and the Red is a little lighter then the Redskins Jersey but it is nice for $35.00.

IMHO a lot nicer than $75.00 for a replica or $100.00 premier jersey.

TaylorJerseyFront.jpg?t=1212858338

TaylorJerseyBack.jpg?t=1212858727

And probably the nicest knock off jersey I have a Charley Taylor Throwback Jersey I got from the Philippines.

The collar is rounded and the numbers are sewn on the jersey like in the early 1970s

TaylorFront.jpg?t=1212861934

TaylorBack.jpg?t=1212862454

Hey Mark

It's not for sale....hehe.

Billy is one of my top 3 all time favorite players.

This Sandknit had no nameplate on the back, but I bought an old Theismann Sand Knit and had the nameplate cut and constructed from it, then sewn onto my Kilmer and had the lettering done at an emergency services uniform shop. I also did the same thing with a Riggins Sandknit, and it came out great as well.

Here's a link to photos of most of my jerseys.

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk149/redskins8181/?start=all

Also, just picked this up on ebay. Not authentic, but still probably 30+ years old.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370056227025&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=024

As far as finding one for yourself, I've seen a few on ebay but they are all sized very small. Make sure you check the ebay express and ebay stores as well. There's a few hidden gems in those sections. Good luck to you!

Interesting. The last place I went to - first of all, they couldn't produce the correct fabric. So I had to find my own. Where, like EXACTLY, did you pull your nameplate fabric from on a jersey? I mean, really, when I looked on my old worthless jerseys, the only useable space was on the back top shoulders, but that area already has a nameplate. If you remove it and use the fabric underneath, aren't the holes showing from the stitching of the first nameplate?

On the Sandknits, since the fabric is the same on the shoulder panels and body, it was easy. They just took strips from the front and back of the jersey on either side of the numbers.

If you're very careful, on the new jerseys with the spandex or sheen fabric, if you use a seam ripper and are methodical and patient, you can remove the nameplate without leaving holes if the jersey hasn't been laundered very much or at all. If the lettering is screened, you're pretty much out of luck unless you happen to run across an obsolete jersey with matching fabric.

On the Sandknits, since the fabric is the same on the shoulder panels and body, it was easy. They just took strips from the front and back of the jersey on either side of the numbers.

If you're very careful, on the new jerseys with the spandex or sheen fabric, if you use a seam ripper and are methodical and patient, you can remove the nameplate without leaving holes if the jersey hasn't been laundered very much or at all. If the lettering is screened, you're pretty much out of luck unless you happen to run across an obsolete jersey with matching fabric.

Hmm. Interesting. I'll have to take a closer look at what I have.

What I did - first I looked around at some fabric stores. Actually my wife did. She didn't find anything.

But I do have an old Adidas authentic that I dont' care about too much. Because the shoulders were two ply, I turned it inside out and cut out the shoulders. That fabric matches the nameplate I need perfectly. When I turned the jersey back right side in, it still looked perfect. I mean, the integrity was lost, but looks wise, it is still fine. If I wore it, nobody would know the difference.

Here's what the fabric looked like after I cut it.

dcp5758ng2.jpg

I cut it to size for a nameplate and turned it in to a shop. It's probably ready, I need to pick it up. I hope they did a good job, because the fabric is not easy to acquire. But I'll do what I have to do until I get this done and it's perfect. ;)

Edit: And dude, that Kilmer jersey is a nice friggin' jersey. :cheers:

I have more to say, but I'm out of time right now. I'll add more comments in a day or two. We should meet some time drink a few beers and talk Redskins :)

Fuji - thanks for the bump, brother. Nice jerseys. ;)

Great thread and tons of info. Nice research!:applause:

Mark didn't Wilson supplier the jersey's before Adidas? I remember seeing the Wilson logo on the Redskin jersey's at one time. I think this was back when some teams wore Nike jersey's and some teams had Wilson.

Also I was wondering about the gold practice jersey's. Does anyone own one? I assume they aren't for sale, but I would love to get one. Here is a pic of Campbell in one.

PH2005080201646.jpg

Thank-you, sir.

Re Wilson, you could be right. I'm not positive about that. I don't have any pics of one, but they could have sponsored at some point before Adidas. It's possible.

The gold jersey appears to be a special QB jersey. I have no idea what the Redskins do with their practice jerseys. A few years ago, you could buy them at the Stadium Store for $50. Not anymore.

OMG........ I have 3 jerseys that I wear all the time and WAS pround of them, but they are FAKE!!!!!!! Yep, I bought all 3 of them from ebay!! Looks like I will have to pony up and get a real authentic from the game this year.:helmet:

Mark didn't Wilson supplier the jersey's before Adidas? I remember seeing the Wilson logo on the Redskin jersey's at one time. I think this was back when some teams wore Nike jersey's and some teams had Wilson.

This is what I remember:

In the late 80s or early 90s when the manufacturers started putting there logos on the sleeves of the jerseys starter made the Redskins Jerseys with press on numbers.

1997 Wilson made then Wilson made them with press on numbers.

1998 the Redskins went back to Starter for one season.

1999 - 2001 the Jerseys were made by Adidas 1999-2000 with press on numbers and 2001 the Redskins were one of the last teams to go to sew on numbers.

2002 - Present Reebok made the Redskins Jerseys with press on numbers for all the NFL Teams and the new NFL Equipment Shield..

2003 They put the Redskins Logo below the NFL Shield.