Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Do you think Bush stole the 2000 election?

Guest sith lord

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest sith lord

Simple question. I know it was 8 years ago, but it still kind of irks me that GW, with the help of his brother, IMO stole that election. I don't know if anyone else remember this, but I remember. When Florida was "originally" won by Gore, they showed GW sitting at home with his wife and parents. GW said that he don't believe he lost Florida and then he said that he would have to talk to his brother Jeb (Gov of Florida). Seriously, why would he say that if something wasn't up? I also wonder why no one ever brings that up. I know I'm not the only person to remember this.

I know, some will say "let it go." I have, but it still don't take away the fact that they stole the election. Also, was there a "serious" investigation into this? Probably not, but I thought I'd ask.

If Al Gore had requested a recount of every single Florida county (which he deliberately did not) and a recount of absentee ballots (which can tend to be largely military, and which he deliberately did not) I might listen to this argument.

As it stands, Gore wanted recounts ONLY in the counties where he did especially well. To me, that smells more of attempted larceny than anything.

Guest sith lord
If Al Gore had requested a recount of every single Florida county (which he deliberately did not) and a recount of absentee ballots (which can tend to be largely military, and which he deliberately did not) I might listen to this argument.

As it stands, Gore wanted recounts ONLY in the counties where he did especially well. To me, that smells more of attempted larceny than anything.

But wasn't there problems with people being prevented from voting?

Allegedly.

As far as I know there were no charges, no convictions, and no real basis for the allegations.

Democrats ALWAYS assert voter intimidation or some such BS when they lose. It's become a cry of wolf, IMO.

I can say that it is fact that Gore wanted only his best counties recounted. To me, that's all you need to know.

Guest sith lord
Allegedly.

As far as I know there were no charges, no convictions, and no real basis for the allegations.

Democrats ALWAYS assert voter intimidation or some such BS when they lose. It's become a cry of wolf, IMO.

I can say that it is fact that Gore wanted only his best counties recounted. To me, that's all you need to know.

Like I said, then why did Bush not believe he lost Florida when all the initial reports gave it to Gore? He didn't have a problem losing any other state, just the state where his brother was the Governer? You have to admit that does make you wonder.

Nope there weren't. That is one of the big myths that came out of that election. Jesse Jackson created this myth but he was never able to find even one person that was denied their right to vote.

Guest sith lord
Nope there weren't. That is one of the big myths that came out of that election. Jesse Jackson created this myth but he was never able to find even one person that was denied their right to vote.

That's not true. I remember some of the locals actually complaining when this all happened.

Like I said, then why did Bush not believe he lost Florida when all the initial reports gave it to Gore?

The exit polls in that election were a disaster.

(Now, standby for what we Republicans always cry...:silly: )

It could be asserted that various news agencies have an interest in reporting positive numbers for one candidate over another; especially in the eastern time zones. People like to vote for the winner, so if Gore was presumed to be leading on the east coast, you can assume that would give him some momentum going west.

What were the polls going into Florida? I truly don't recall. Maybe there was a big discrepancy between the pre-election polls and the exit polls.

I despise AL Gore more than any other American over this issue. The 2000 election recount did more to poison politics and political discussion than anything that had occured since the 19th century. Once the original automatic recount came up short he should have dropped his effort. If anyone attempted to steal the election it was Gore not Bush.

Allegedly.

The case was sent to the justice dept., but they refused to prosecute those from their own party.

RNC internal emails showed they were using 'Caging lists' to get African Americans thrown off the ballot. It is ILLEGAL to target those from a certain race for those challenges. At least 90,000 African Americans with NO felony record showed up at the polls and were told they couldn't vote.

Guest sith lord
The case was sent to the justice dept., but they refused to prosecute those from their own party.

RNC internal emails showed they were using 'Caging lists' to get African Americans thrown off the ballot. It is ILLEGAL to target those from a certain race for those challenges. At least 90,000 African Americans with NO felony record showed up at the polls and were told they couldn't vote.

Yep, I remember that.

Not so fast...

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/vote2000/report/ch2.htm

"On November 7, 2000, millions of Florida voters arrived at their designated polling places to cast their votes. Unfortunately, countless voters were denied the opportunity to vote because their names did not appear on the lists of registered voters.[2] When poll workers attempted to call the supervisors of elections offices to verify voter registration status, they were often met with continuous busy signals or no answer.[3] In accordance with their training, most poll workers refused to permit persons to vote whose names did not appear on the rolls at their precinct. Thus, numerous Floridians were turned away from the polls on Election Day without being allowed to vote and with no opportunity to appeal the poll workers’ refusal. The following are a few examples of experiences that Floridians had who were turned away from their polling places."

------------------------

Not a myth.

Like I said, then why did Bush not believe he lost Florida when all the initial reports gave it to Gore? He didn't have a problem losing any other state, just the state where his brother was the Governer? You have to admit that does make you wonder.

What intial reports? The exit polls? If you watched the count not once did Bush ever fall behind in the vote actual count.

That's not true. I remember some of the locals actually complaining when this all happened.

It absolutely was true. The locals you remember complaining did complain but when asked did they get to vote it came out that they had voted. Their assumption was since they experienced some difficulty that meant somewhere someone didn't get a chance to vote. Yet Jackson after several months of searching Jackson could find anyone.

Guest sith lord
It absolutely was true. The locals you remember complaining did complain but when asked did they get to vote it came out that they had voted. Their assumption was since they experienced some difficulty that meant somewhere someone didn't get a chance to vote. Yet Jackson after several months of searching Jackson could find anyone.

I direct you to counter treys link a couple of post above this one. Many blacks were not allowed to vote.

Not so fast...

Not a myth.

Yes so fast.. This from the Wall Street Journal (circa 2004)...

....The Justice Department's Civil Rights Division conducted a separate investigation of these charges and also came up empty. In a May 2002 letter to Democratic Senator Pat Leahy of Vermont, who at the time headed the Judiciary Committee, Assistant Attorney General Ralph Boyd wrote, "The Civil Rights Division found no credible evidence in our investigations that Floridians were intentionally denied their right to vote during the November 2000 election."....

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005682

Yes a myth

I think Bush is one of the worst presidents in our short history. I was extremely dissapointed when he was re-elected in 2004.

But he DID NOT steal the 2000 election. Maybe if the dems were more aggressive about recounts Gore could have won, but thats not the real problem.

The electoral college is the problem. The 2000 election proves that the electoral college is an antiquated system that no longer has a place in the presidential election. If you're not going to count the over popular vote, why even have an election?

Oh, OK, nevermind. We're playing the game again.

The same people who always spout, "Bill Clinton was never convicted of anything," are satisfied with never-proven allegations here.

I don't know why I bother. :laugh:

Who gives a fart about Florida 2000? Gore couldn't even win his own home state - that alone should disqualify him. If Gore wins Tennessee, the election goes to him and Florida is moot. Gore not winning his home state was pathetic.

This was eight years ago - dems, get over it.

Yes so fast.. This from the Wall Street Journal (circa 2004)...

....The Justice Department's Civil Rights Division conducted a separate investigation of these charges and also came up empty. In a May 2002 letter to Democratic Senator Pat Leahy of Vermont, who at the time headed the Judiciary Committee, Assistant Attorney General Ralph Boyd wrote, "The Civil Rights Division found no credible evidence in our investigations that Floridians were intentionally denied their right to vote during the November 2000 election."....

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005682

Yes a myth

You're right, since the Justice Department's Civil Rigts Division said it wasn't true, it must not be true. Everyone else lied.:rolleyes:

Archived