Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: New Rules Close Doors On Metro Shuttle Buses (Affects Shuttles at FedEx)

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/22/AR2008052203659.html?hpid=topnews

New Rules Close Doors On Metro Shuttle Buses

Service Ends for Redskins Fans, Students on Field Trips

By Lena H. Sun

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, May 23, 2008; Page B01

Metro will no longer provide shuttle bus service for Washington Redskins games, school field trips and, beginning next year, Wolf Trap performances, because of a new federal ban, General Manager John B. Catoe Jr. said yesterday.

Under Federal Transit Administration regulations that became final May 1, public agencies cannot operate charter bus service if private companies are available to provide the service. Last year, Metro chartered nearly 2,500 buses for revenue of $1.6 million.

Without a waiver from the FTA, Metro cannot provide charter service unless it first checks with dozens of charter bus companies in the Washington region, a time-consuming task that would require Metro to send e-mails to every motorcoach company registered in a regional database, officials said.

"This rule, quite effectively, takes Metro out of the business of providing charter bus service," Catoe said during a Metro board meeting.

The ban has little financial impact on Metro. Metro's fees of $310.50 per bus for a minimum of three hours and $207 per bus for schools cover direct costs and overhead and allow for "a small profit," Catoe said. The concern, he said, is the inconvenience to customers and the non-Metro buses that would drive through Metro stations.

"We have no oversight on the charter bus providers, and that raises questions of safety for our operators, employees and customers," he said.

Last year, Metro chartered more than 1,300 buses for Redskins fans for trips between FedEx Field and the Morgan Boulevard Metrorail station. The team charged fans $5 for round-trip fare.

Click on link for full article...

Next year the charge will 10 bucks and this will be the excuse.
This one falls squarely on the shoulders of the federal government. Some stupid lobbist got a bunch of moron congressmen and women by the pocketbook and convinced (read:paid) them that this would be a great idea. :doh: Oh yeah - this is a perfect example of serving the people. What a bunch of :pooh:. Thank you congress.

Not that I don't expect Dan won't be taking advantage of this somewhat - I'm sure he'll work out some plan where he and whatever charter service he gets will split the profit from this new fee.

Wow. I need a drink. :doh:

Not saying I support high spending, and this isn't the tailgate, but there are better ways to make spending cuts than this. The federal government has always been against helping the Washington area when it comes to transportation needs, even though the District isn't an official state. Hopefully they can do something like the Nats do with the Nats Express, and have a private charter company sponsor buses to come in from those lots, maybe even use RFK as the Nats have done.

Thank god i get free parking at the games and i walk to the stadium so i really dont care. I always thought the metro bus fare of $5 per person was already a ripoff.

Do you think that whatever other solution is put in the price will go down? The price never goes down.

Way to be sympathetic to those affected...

Do you think that whatever other solution is put in the price will go down? The price never goes down.

Way to be sympathetic to those affected...

Well I think its already a rip off that since when I go to games and park like 3 miles away and already pay $25-30 dollars to park in a office lot and then pay another $5 per person just to get on the bus

Thank god i get free parking at the games and i walk to the stadium so i really dont care. I always thought the metro bus fare of $5 per person was already a ripoff.
Well I think its already a rip off that since when I go to games and park like 3 miles away and already pay $25-30 dollars to park in a office lot and then pay another $5 per person just to get on the bus

Wait, you just said you got free parking at the games, now you pay $25-30 and ride the shuttle? :confused:

I think this is ridiculous and will encourage drinking and driving and put a strain on the highways on gamedays.

Definitely will be more people driving. We can only hope that they will be responsible.

Federal gov really dropped the ball on this one. :doh:

Wait, you just said you got free parking at the games, now you pay $25-30 and ride the shuttle? :confused:

Before I didn't get free parking I did that. But there are thousands of others that park 2 miles away and Snyder is charging 25/30 per car to park in a office lot and then another $5 to ride the shuttle

Good thing I've never used these in the first place. The lines are always insane, for these, or the shuttle buses to the cash lots. Time for people to embrace walking and driving yourself or getting a ride with others (I guess).

:paranoid: yeah ummm....yeah :doh:

ok umm will the REAL skinfan2k come out we have a nice white room with soft walls for you...and it comes with a nice white jacket for you to wear...

Definitely will be more people driving. We can only hope that they will be responsible.

Federal gov really dropped the ball on this one. :doh:

It's really frustrating for people that live far away like me. Because I live in Baltimore I don't want to drive and metro is not an options for me. We actually take Amtrak then Metro and then meet up at our tailgate via the $5 shuttle. Sometimes my brother meets us at Landover when he comes and drives us over but most of the time we take the shuttle. It's very frustrating.

I also don't have a problem with the $5 fee, its better that a $5k DUI lawyer fee. I do however agree that we likely get some sort of private shuttle next season and it will of course be more than $5. I though $5 was an easy fair fee.

:paranoid: yeah ummm....yeah :doh:

ok umm will the REAL skinfan2k come out we have a nice white room with soft walls for you...and it comes with a nice white jacket for you to wear...

Do you really think I care what you have to say? Now that my dads work is near Fedex field in one of the office buildings, I get to park there. The same parking spaces that I used to have to pay for. I know i didn't explain it well, but thousands of others are paying almost $45 dollars just for parking two miles away and then must wait for shuttles after and before the game. There are also other advertised lots that charge $20 dollars but dont tell you that you also have to pay for metro buses to the stadium

I'm probably interpreting this incorrectly, but it sounds like the Metro probably could keep running charter buses if it really wanted to. The article states that "without a waiver from the FTA, Metro cannot provide charter service unless it first checks with dozens of charter bus companies in the Washington region, a time-consuming task that would require Metro to send e-mails to every motorcoach company registered in a regional database."

So...they need to send an email to a few dozen companies (thank goodness for the cc button!) whose names (and possibly contact info) have already been compiled in a database? I guess the Post writer just did a poor job of explaining the exact process that would need to happen, because it sounds to me like checking with the other companies wouldn't be all that difficult.

It's really frustrating for people that live far away like me. Because I live in Baltimore I don't want to drive and metro is not an options for me. We actually take Amtrak then Metro and then meet up at our tailgate via the $5 shuttle. Sometimes my brother meets us at Landover when he comes and drives us over but most of the time we take the shuttle. It's very frustrating.

I also don't have a problem with the $5 fee, its better that a $5k DUI lawyer fee. I do however agree that we likely get some sort of private shuttle next season and it will of course be more than $5. I though $5 was an easy fair fee.

Yeah - you can still do metro, you'll just have to add another 45 minutes or so to your trip. Just go to the Morgan Blvd station and walk.

Oh, and the article is incorrect - the shuttles leave from the Landover station, not the Morgan Blvd station.

Do you really think I care what you have to say? Now that my dads work is near Fedex field in one of the office buildings, I get to park there. The same parking spaces that I used to have to pay for. I know i didn't explain it well, but thousands of others are paying almost $45 dollars just for parking two miles away and then must wait for shuttles after and before the game. There are also other advertised lots that charge $20 dollars but dont tell you that you also have to pay for metro buses to the stadium

:laugh: you are too funny...tell ya what take the stick out or your butt, and go calm down little boy. You first post that you don't pay...and then that you do pay...so who really care or believes what you have to say huh? ;)

:laugh: you are too funny...tell ya what take the stick out or your butt, and go calm down little boy. You first post that you don't pay...and then that you do pay...so who really care or believes what you have to say huh? ;)

Tell ya what. I dont give a rats ass what you think, old man

Thank God that you are one of the many people our there who are so very compassionate.

Actually, it's a good thing that nobody care what you think.

Archived