Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will there be any FA/Trades before training camp?

tml6157

With the rumor for Jason Taylor landing here with his agent and Vinny being good friends and the remaining availability of FA's what do you guys think will happen?

I'm hoping we can swindle Taylor away from Miami for a 4th or 5th. Even tho he only has 2-3 years left he is a major upgrade over Daniels in the pass rush. Also I would like to see us bring in Takeo Spikes and Odell Thurman to shore up depth for our LB's for a long time coming. What do you guys think?

I thought a team already offered Miami a 4th rounder for Taylor and they turned it down. There will be additions through FA but I don't see any real big names there or in trades though. Big trades and signings usually go down before the draft not before mini camp. There are always vets and rooks released in June but I think for the most part the Skins are set. And no I hope they don't sign either of those LB's you mentioned. Even if they played as well as Randell Godfrey did last year I would still rather see younger backups at LB.

With the rumor for Jason Taylor landing here with his agent and Vinny being good friends and the remaining availability of FA's what do you guys think will happen?

I'm hoping we can swindle Taylor away from Miami for a 4th or 5th. Even tho he only has 2-3 years left he is a major upgrade over Daniels in the pass rush. Also I would like to see us bring in Takeo Spikes and Odell Thurman to shore up depth for our LB's for a long time coming. What do you guys think?

Well if we could get Taylor for a 4th or 5th and sign Spikes and Thurman I would be excited. I think our D would be stacked. Honestly I think we will trade for Taylor. I have a funny feeling about this one. I hope we do get him though. He's a great player. I only ask two things, He better show up for training camp(I think he would), and he better be focused on football. But we all know Dan Synder and Vinny they will overpay. Hopefully a 3rd is as far as they go.

Think about it we gave up a 3rd and 4th for T.J Duckett.:doh:

Well if we could get Taylor for a 4th or 5th and sign Spikes and Thurman I would be excited. I think our D would be stacked. Honestly I think we will trade for Taylor. I have a funny feeling about this one. I hope we do get him though. He's a great player. I only ask two things, He better show up for training camp(I think he would), and he better be focused on football. But we all know Dan Synder and Vinny they will overpay. Hopefully a 3rd is as far as they go.

Hopefully Dan and Vinny have learned their lesson from that brilliant move.

Hopefully Dan and Vinny have learned their lesson from that brilliant move.

I'm sure they would like to obtain Taylor and I believe a 3rd round pick is fair. It depends on how he and Bill get along. He still may be one of the best players on that team and would be hard to replace. I'm sure we have the money to make this trade and still sign all of our picks.

I can't see the team giving up anything more than a 4th rounder or maybe a 4th and a 5th for Taylor. As for the linebackers, that is a possibility. Free agents dont' cost you future picks.

The Redskins have demonstrated they are building a team and want to get younger, with more cap flexibility. Taylor is due to make eight million dollars this year and the Skins have roughly nine million of cap space. They historically have kept a million in reserve to sign players in case of injury so I can't see them putting themselves in that position.

Although they cleared that space up for a reason, I think it was in case they picked up Chad Johnson. To me, that was the only real target they had this offseason besides the draft and resigning their own.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Considering that DE is such a glaring need, I would agree with a third. He would start from day one and that is an upgrade over the Duckett move where we saw no value other than a back-up insurance policy if CP got hurt. Taylor would have an immediate impact and probably still has two to three years of good play left.

I thought a team already offered Miami a 4th rounder for Taylor and they turned it down. There will be additions through FA but I don't see any real big names there or in trades though. Big trades and signings usually go down before the draft not before mini camp. There are always vets and rooks released in June but I think for the most part the Skins are set. And no I hope they don't sign either of those LB's you mentioned. Even if they played as well as Randell Godfrey did last year I would still rather see younger backups at LB.

Since Kendall played more than 80% of the 2007 offensive plays, the Jets will be getting our 4th rounder in the 2009 draft, thus we don't have a 4th rounder to trade.

As of now we have all of our other draft picks and feel we will not trade any picks with our newfound refocus on the draft. :applause:

They may have turned it down before the draft, but once they realize they will never get a first rounder for him, they may reconsider. Thurman is only 24 years old and adding him, would add a ballhawking, play making LB. Spikes is 31, old, but still a very reliable vet. This years Godfrey.

Thurman is only 24 years old and adding him, would add a ballhawking, play making LB. Spikes is 31, old, but still a very reliable vet. This years Godfrey.

100% agreed. These would solve our lineback depth issues and potentially upgrade the roster with little compromise or risk.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Considering that DE is such a glaring need, I would agree with a third. He would start from day one and that is an upgrade over the Duckett move where we saw no value other than a back-up insurance policy if CP got hurt. Taylor would have an immediate impact and probably still has two to three years of good play left.

On Jason Taylor - I agree. I want to give Daniels a chance to prove that he's ready to be an impact player again, but from what I've read and seen, we have no "Every Down" impact ends on our roster behind Daniels. And as others have stated... what happens if Andre Carter goes down? He generated nearly half of the sacks on his own. I'm all for giving Buzbee, Jackson, and Wilson more of a chance, but the likelyhood of them becomming an every down starter is low. The catch is... Taylor will need to bring the passion for the game he seemed to have in Miami. If he's lost that, he won't be nearly as productive.

I doubt there will be any huge signings or trades, but I would be shocked if we didn't sign anybody between now and then. Teams always bring extra guys into camp, just to see if they'll stick.

As for a possible Taylor trade, I think a third-rounder would be perfectly reasonable: third-round picks tend to be players with career approximate value totals of 13 to 16 points, which is about the same as getting a single year of extremely strong play. Taylor might not perform at the "extremely strong" level that he's been at recently, but I think we'd get at least a couple years of "very good" play out of him, so a third-rounder isn't too much for the Dolphins to request.

Of course, that ignores an important point: Taylor would take up far more cap-space than a third-round draft pick. And that's why I'd be hesitant to make the move, even if the Dolphins did agree to a third-rounder.

And no I hope they don't sign either of those LB's you mentioned. Even if they played as well as Randell Godfrey did last year I would still rather see younger backups at LB.

Thurman is what, 25?

i hope they do, taylor would be sweet and those 2 lb's would be of great help. but we still need cb help even more than lb and end. you've got springs and smoot and the rest is up in the air. we need help beigtime. in this league you need at least 3 starter quality cb if not 4. we have 3 with rogers but with his injury he will not be the same cb in 08 . then we will only have rogers and smoot and who knows.hope some of these no names step up.i would like to bring in kevin jones rb, because you can never have too many good backs. if betts or portis goes down we keep cookin with jones and whom ever.he's bigger like betts but faster like portis.whats not like.but they will probably act as is they have all they need and do nothing. i just hope we don't see the second coming of the pearl harbor crew.

I doubt there will be any huge signings or trades, but I would be shocked if we didn't sign anybody between now and then. Teams always bring extra guys into camp, just to see if they'll stick.

As for a possible Taylor trade, I think a third-rounder would be perfectly reasonable: third-round picks tend to be players with career approximate value totals of 13 to 16 points, which is about the same as getting a single year of extremely strong play. Taylor might not perform at the "extremely strong" level that he's been at recently, but I think we'd get at least a couple years of "very good" play out of him, so a third-rounder isn't too much for the Dolphins to request.

Of course, that ignores an important point: Taylor would take up far more cap-space than a third-round draft pick. And that's why I'd be hesitant to make the move, even if the Dolphins did agree to a third-rounder.

Thurman is what, 25?

A 3rd rounder for a guy who 2 years ago was Defensive MVP. Ya I think it is worth it. He still has a good 2-3 years left. Thurman is hella young and we can get him hella cheap so I would go for that too. You know Danny boy is itching to make a big move so it wont surprise me one bit if we trade for Taylor!

If we decided to trade for him, a third would sound fair. If I were us, I'd sit back and take it all in until Parcells gets desperate to get him out. Here's the thing. We don't NEED him, but it would be nice to get him.

Another thing, he plays RDE, the same position as Carter, so someone would have to move to LDE.

If we decided to trade for him, a third would sound fair. If I were us, I'd sit back and take it all in until Parcells gets desperate to get him out. Here's the thing. We don't NEED him, but it would be nice to get him.

Another thing, he plays RDE, the same position as Carter, so someone would have to move to LDE.

Yeah he would be a nice addition, but we're not desperate... but they will be to get rid of him.

Maybe we get a nice steal?

having them three years ago would be great, but after injuries, substance problems, and age i just dont think these moves would really be that much of an upgrade. i think taylor would be a decent pick up but for some reason i dont think he will hold up against the run in the nfc east. spikes has injury concerns and hasnt lived to his potential because of it. thurman would be the best pick up of the 3 in my opinion but thats if you can straighten him out and who knows if he can play like he once did after 2 yrs of sitting. i dont feel like any of these moves will put us over the hump nor upgrade that much over what we already have. on a side note though i will add that i would like to see another young LB in here for competition and better depth. my:2cents:

:gaintsuck:eaglesuck:dallasuck

Archived