Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HuffPost: McCain Backer Hagee Said Hitler Was Fulfilling God's Will (AUDIO)

heyholetsgogrant

All of this is just silly to me. I don't see why a presidential candidate has to be accountable for something a mentor or supporter says. I didn't think is was right when they did it to Barack ... and I don't think its right to do to McCain either. But it does go to show that no matter how "clean" you think you are somebody can always find some dirt someway by using some angle.

According to the article it happened several years ago, and he apologized for it.

What was the nature of his apology?

His apology to Catholics seemed to say that he was sorry that people were offended by what he said. (But made no apology for what he actually said, nor what he meant by it.)

Since those remarks and subsequent responses;

As Wilson notes, in his 2006 book "Jerusalem Countdown", Hagee proposed the theory that "anti-Semitism, and thus the Holocaust, was the fault of Jews themselves -- the result of an age old divine curse incurred by the ancient Hebrews through worshiping idols and passed, down the ages, to all Jews now alive." He also wrote that "Most readers will be shocked by the clear record of history linking Adolf Hitler and the Roman Catholic Church in a conspiracy to exterminate the Jews."

I propose that we exile religious mentors. Apparently, none of them are any good. Let's kick 'em to the curb. We'll tell them they're just going to do missionary work to spread God's word. That should do it. How could they refuse that? And then once their gone we lock up the country.

OK I wonder if Obama backer Hamas has said anything that someone can take offense too.

Oh please. Did Obama actively seek out the support of Hamas or indicate in any way that he was he was happy to get it?

Neither "endorsement" means a dang thing (as I said above), but this is just a stupid comparison to make.

I propose that we exile religious mentors. Apparently, none of them are any good. Let's kick 'em to the curb. We'll tell them they're just going to do missionary work to spread God's word. That should do it. How could they refuse that? And then once their gone we lock up the country.

Next you'll be proposing separation of Church and State.

I'll be consistent in saying that this doesn't have much to do with McCain, even if McCain is actively trying to get the support of this guy. It's a distraction.

This is the right answer, but I like my solution better :)

Hmmm... I think Larry's onto something. Conservatives always want a strict literal interpretation of the Constitution. Therefore, shouldn't separation of Church and State require an ocean or at least a good mountain range?

Hmmm... I think Larry's onto something. Conservatives always want a strict literal interpretation of the Constitution. Therefore, shouldn't separation of Church and State require an ocean or at least a good mountain range?

Didn't you see the Jesus Camp thread.:) Its called the rocky mountains

In reality, a simple test should do. Pick a Greatl Lake. Any Great Lake should do, but it's got to be in Summer. Line up the religious mentors and tell them that they need to either part the Great Lake or walk on water to prove that God is speaking through them. If they fail to do it move on to the next until you finally find a mentor candidate that actually is in God's favor.

Hopefully McCain will step and do the right thing with this out there.

McCain accepted his endorsement after he made these statements. Hagee is also quoted once as calling the Catholic Church the great whore of history.

other Hagee quotes pre McCain endorsement..

“In Hagee’s latest book, Jerusalem Countdown, he calls Hitler a Catholic who murdered Jews while the Catholic Church did nothing. ‘The sell-out of Catholicism to Hitler began not with the people but with the Vatican itself,’ he writes.

No difference between Catholics and Muslims in terms of killing Jews

Crusades were about killing Jews by Catholics

Hitler and The Catholic Church were one

Catholic Church stole money from Jews

For the record, Hitler persecuted the Catholic Church and was automatically excommunicated in 1931—two years before he assumed power—when he acted as best man at Joseph Goebbel’s Protestant wedding. Hitler even bragged about his separation from the Church. As for doing nothing about the Holocaust, Sir Martin Gilbert reminds us that Goebbels denounced Pope Pius XII for his 1942 Christmas message criticizing the Nazis (the New York Times lauded the pope for doing so in an editorial for two years in a row). Much to Hagee’s chagrin, Gilbert also says that Pius XII saved three quarters of the Jews in Rome, and that more Jews were saved proportionately in Catholic countries than Protestant countries. Indeed, Israeli diplomat Pinchas Lapide credited the Catholic Church with saving 860,000 Jews. No religion can match that.

http://www.catholicleague.org/release.php?id=1393

The reason why McCain won't denounce Hagee is because after he called Hagee, Falwell, and Pat Roberts agents of intolerance he actively courted their support for the Republican nomination. They are a powerful force in the Republican party and it would be very politically expensive for McCain to denounce them.

If you're being strictly literal it ain't in it....You dang liberals are always trying to add to the Constitution to fit your twisted aims. :D

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

:paranoid:

Archived