Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newman Signs 7-Year, $51 Million Deal; Barber Close

T-New Contract

Newman Signs 7-Year, $51 Million Deal; Barber Closesite_divider_720.gifeatman_50.jpgNick Eatman - Email

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

May 20, 2008 2:13 PMChange Font SizeAAAAsite_divider_720.gifNewman_wash_330.jpgTerence Newman was selected to his first Pro Bowl last year.

IRVING, Texas - What an off-season it has been for Cowboys cornerbacks.

First they make a controversial trade for one with a sketchy past. Then they draft another corner with one of their two first-round picks.

And now the Cowboys have made Terence Newman one of the highest-paid players at his position.

With the Cowboys just beating the deadline to sign players under the current collective bargaining agreement, Newman signed a six-year extension, totaling the package as a seven-year contract in the neighborhood of $51 million.

The Cowboys might not be finished either, as a deal with running back Marion Barber could get finalized as well.

The NFL owners announced Tuesday in Atlanta they will opt out of the current CBA agreement. All contracts completed after 3 p.m. (CDT) on Tuesday would follow the new rules, which would've prevented the Cowboys from prorating his signing and roster bonuses past five seasons.

The Cowboys did ignite contract talks with the agents of Barber and Ken Hamlin this week, although no deals were done as of early Tuesday afternoon.

Both players have yet to sign their one-year offers. Barber has a restricted tender of $2.561 million and Hamlin was given a franchise tag of $4.33 million, although the Cowboys have said they would like to get both players re-signed to long-term deals.

But for now, the Cowboys settled for locking up Newman.

A five-year veteran who was drafted fifth overall in 2003, Newman's original contract expired after the 2008 season. Apparently, the Cowboys aren't too concerned about his age. Although he's played just five years, Newman will turn 30 just before the start of the regular season.

Despite missing three games and six starts because of injuries, Newman was selected to his first Pro Bowl this past season, recording four interceptions and 62 tackles and tying for the team high with 15 pass deflections.

Newman, whose contract was set to expire after the 2008 season, will participate in the start of the Cowboys' OTA (organized team activity) practices, which begin Tuesday and run through Thursday for the next three weeks.

Newman's contract will rank right up with other cornerbacks who have recently signed new contracts, including Seattle's Marcus Trufant, who signed a six-year, $50.2 million deal in March. San Francisco gave Nate Clements an eight-year, $80 million deal last season and Oakland recently signed DeAngelo Hall to a seven-year, $70 million contract after acquiring him in a trade with Atlanta.

Newman hasn't been widely considered one of the NFL's top cornerbacks, mainly because of his lack of interceptions.

While the argument could be made that opposing teams usually don't test him much, other critics claim that Newman doesn't have the knack for the big play.

That changed somewhat last season.

In his first start in 2007, Newman picked off a fourth-quarter pass against Buffalo and returned it 70 yards, which led to a field goal in a game the Cowboys rallied for a 25-24 win.

He also stalled a fourth-quarter drive against Washington with an interception in the final minutes of a 28-23 victory. Newman returned an interception against the Jets 50 yards for a touchdown on Thanksgiving. He also picked off a deflected pass by Brett Favre in the Cowboys' win over Green Bay for his third interception in a three-game span.

Newman has just 16 career interceptions in five seasons, but don't forget Deion Sanders had just 14 picks in his five years with the Cowboys.

Newman's new deal comes on the heels of the Cowboys trading for Pacman Jones, who has yet to be reinstated by the NFL after serving a one-year suspension. The Cowboys also drafted South Florida's Michael Jenkins with the 25th overall pick.

While the Cowboys appear to have a crowded group of cornerbacks, head coach Wade Phillips and secondary coach Dave Campo have made it clear they subscribe to the theory of 'you can't ever have too many good cornerbacks.'

Newman and fellow starter Anthony Henry both missed considerable playing time last season with injuries. Newman suffered a torn plantar fascia in his right foot, which forced him to miss the first two regular-season games and limited him to nickel duty until the fourth game of the season, when Henry suffered a high ankle sprain that caused him to miss three games and a total of six starts. Jacques Reeves, who ended up starting 13 games, and Nate Jones were called upon to fill in. However, both signed with other teams in free agency, Reeves going to Houston and Jones becoming one of several former Cowboys players and coaches to sign with the Dolphins.

Where'd they get the cap room to sign Barber AND Newman to 7 year deals? Unless they are very, very bacloaded minimizing the cap space taken this year, but increasing the number in later years. Good thing for Jerruh there might not be a cap in a couple seasons. Who knows, maybe he had that in mind with these deals.

Though they are both decent players, that's a lot of cash for a part-time RB and a 30 year old CB.

No details yet. How much is guaranteed?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I guess Jerry isn't as strapped for cash as two people here seem to think.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3405348

Cowboys reward RB Barber, CB Newman with new deals

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: May 20, 2008, 7:40 PM ET

Using the salary-cap loopholes created by Tuesday's decision to have a possible uncapped year in 2010, the Dallas Cowboys locked up two of their key young players -- cornerback Terence Newman and halfback Marion Barber.

Newman received a six-year extension worth $50.2 million, similar to the deal Marcus Trufant received from Seattle. He will receive $22.5 million guaranteed over the first three years of the contract. Barber agreed to a seven-year, $45 million deal that included $16 million in guarantees.

This is how AdamJT13 explained, on another board, the cap ramifications of the two deals. Seems fairly minimal, at least this year.

"I don't have any of the official numbers on the new contracts yet, so I'm just going by what has been reported. And both players reportedly got signing bonuses of $12 million. Most likely, they'll also get their minimum base salaries this season. If that's correct, and if there is no other money paid to them this season (such as a roster bonus), then Newman's new contract will cost us $1,188,583 of cap room, and Barber's new contract will SAVE us $42,000 of cap room. So combined, they'd cost us only $1,146,583 of cap room.

For Newman, his old base salary was $1,416,417. That likely will be $605,000 now, and his new bonus proration would be $2 million. His old salary disappears, and his new charges of $2.605 million are only $1,188,583 more than his old salary. His previous bonus proration stays the same.

For Barber, his RFA tender was $2.562 million. His salary is likely to be $520,000 now, and his bonus proration would be $2 million. So his new cap number would be $2.52 million, compared to his old cap number of $2.562 million."

May 20, 2008

Romo sits to pee helps out

8:46 PM Tue, May 20, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Todd Archer E-mail News tips

In order to get Terence Newman and Marion Barber signed to these long-term extensions, the Cowboys had to create some salary-cap room so they went to Tony Romo sits to pee.

The quarterback agreed to restructure his contract, but it didn't cost him a penny. In fact, it put some money in his pocket now instead of later. The Cowboys turned Romo sits to pee's $6.5 million base salary into signing bonus, dropping the 2008 base salary to $605,000.

Instead of carrying a cap figure of $8.416 million this year, Romo sits to pee's new cap number is almost $3.5 million, hence a saving of about $5 million and enough room to get Newman and Barber done and then some when added to the roughly $3.5 million they already had.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

The entry "Romo sits to pee helps out" is tagged: Marion Barber , Terence Newman , Tony Romo sits to pee

May 20, 2008

Romo sits to pee helps out

8:46 PM Tue, May 20, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Todd Archer E-mail News tips

In order to get Terence Newman and Marion Barber signed to these long-term extensions, the Cowboys had to create some salary-cap room so they went to Tony Romo sits to pee.

The quarterback agreed to restructure his contract, but it didn't cost him a penny. In fact, it put some money in his pocket now instead of later. The Cowboys turned Romo sits to pee's $6.5 million base salary into signing bonus, dropping the 2008 base salary to $605,000.

Instead of carrying a cap figure of $8.416 million this year, Romo sits to pee's new cap number is almost $3.5 million, hence a saving of about $5 million and enough room to get Newman and Barber done and then some when added to the roughly $3.5 million they already had.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry

The entry "Romo sits to pee helps out" is tagged: Marion Barber , Terence Newman , Tony Romo sits to pee

Thank you Romo sits to pee, money well spent so far.

Wait...wait...did the pukes restructure Romo sits to pee?

OMG, I guess I'll have to go into search mode because I KNOW that many puke fans have, over the years, said that the PUKES would never do a stupid thing like RESTRUCTURE because, well, because Jerruh was SUCH a better money manager than Dan!

Be afraid when I post the results of my search puke pals.

Be afraid.

:laugh:

Newman is pretty good but I wouldn't say "great" it seemed like he was getting better his first few years, but really leveled off lately, of course maybe that has to do with the other liabilities back there in coverage.

I am not so sure that the M. Jones signing is a good one. That is a hell of a lot of money for a part-time back.

Newman is pretty good but I wouldn't say "great" it seemed like he was getting better his first few years, but really leveled off lately, of course maybe that has to do with the other liabilities back there in coverage.

Newman is coming off a pro-bowl and is widely considered a top 5 corner. I would call that "great" but perhaps not everyone agrees.

I am not so sure that the M. Jones signing is a good one. That is a hell of a lot of money for a part-time back.

He figures to be the starter this year and most teams, including the skins, have some type of tandem system.

Newman is coming off a pro-bowl and is widely considered a top 5 corner. I would call that "great" but perhaps not everyone agree.

Everyone knows pro-bowl admission is way over-rated....just like Newman.

Everyone knows pro-bowl admission is way over-rated....just like Newman.

Some don't deserve it, I'll give you that but this doesn't mean that EVERYONE given the honor is a fluke. I'd say a guy like DeAngelo Hall is greatly overrated. Newman, IMO, is underrated if anything.

Archived