Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did those Parents in Texas get their Kids Back?

Fergasun

Who wins this matchup?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

• Hognose (Panettiere, Fischer, Bellucci)
    • skinsfan07 (Fox, Sims, Nordegren)

Does anyone know what's going on with this story? It caused such a firestorm a month ago... and I was hoping the state wouldn't be able to take all the children away from every parent at the compound... did they get them back or not? If not, why?

Does anyone know what's going on with this story? It caused such a firestorm a month ago... and I was hoping the state wouldn't be able to take all the children away from every parent at the compound... did they get them back or not? If not, why?

I'm pretty sure no in most of the cases. The problem is that many of the girls were underage and pregnant or had already had children which is statutory rape...so I think that is the big hold up right now. But I'm not quite sure.

I'm pretty sure no in most of the cases. The problem is that many of the girls were underage and pregnant or had already had children which is statutory rape...so I think that is the big hold up right now. But I'm not quite sure.

Yeah something like 31 of 53 girls aged 14-17 had kids or were pregnant

Yeah, I wasn't sure of the exact numbers but I remember arguing about state intervention in my ethics class a few weeks ago.

So it's safe to assume that if you're not here, that just means you're arguing somewhere else? :laugh: :silly:

Yeah found some information via wikipedia...

On the 28th, authorities announced that of the 53 girls aged 14-17, 31 have children or are pregnant. Under Texas law, children under the age of 17 generally cannot consent to sex with an adult.
Still, I think the state has definately gone way beyond as far as due process. Think about the people who haven't done anything wrong to their children... completely wrong. Especially since the call that led to the raids was a prank call.
Prank calls from a 33-year-old Colorado Springs woman may be linked to the raid at a West Texas polygamist compound, Colorado Springs Police say. Rozita Swinton was arrested at her home Wednesday evening on charges of false reporting in a local case, but Texas Rangers were present for the arrest, Colorado Springs police said Thursday night. ABC News reported on its website Thursday night that former Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints member Flora Jessop, who operates a rescue mission for teenage girls trying to escape the sect, told Texas authorities she had gotten calls from a girl claiming to be an abused member named Sarah. A girl with that same name made the original calls for help to a San Angelo, Texas, hotline, sparking the raid in which 416 children were taken into protective custody.
Really strange situation, but I think the state should return the children to those who are not implicated in any wrongdoing...

That's not to say the people who committed statutory rape, etc should have their children wrong... although I suppose it's possible they all committed polygamy... (do the husband and wives all get charged?). Just waiting until the polygamists all move to California and then challenge polygamy laws in San Francisco or something...

So it's safe to assume that if you're not here, that just means you're arguing somewhere else? :laugh: :silly:

Precisely! :D:silly:

It just so happens that my class schedule this quarter is a lot of debate type classes such as Public Health Ethics and Health Care Policy and Administration. I'm sure it will come as a surprise to you that I'm one of the more vocal and blunt students in those classes...:laugh:

You gotta be kidding me...

Parker said the state ignored evidence the young mothers presented, including birth certificates and Social Security cards. He said that with their long braided hair, makeup-free faces and pioneer dresses, the women look very young. They're deliberately ignoring official records that show these mothers are not minors," he said, citing the Utah birth certificate showing Louisa Bradshaw Jessop was born in 1986. Patricia Matassarin, Jessop's attorney, questioned how a person proves her age if officials won't believe a birth certificate or driver's license, which Jessop also gave the state.
Texas might be in for a big lawsuit? Wouldn't they easily be able to claim a violation of due process or civil rights violation?

You gotta be kidding me...Texas might be in for a big lawsuit? Wouldn't they easily be able to claim a violation of due process or civil rights violation?

Yeah, the whole situation is just unbelievable to me.

Let's take 400 plus kids from their families based on hearsay evidence. Not to mention, that they can't figure out who made the initial call, if there actually was one.

I can't imagine the state taking my kids away from me for no reason. I would flip out. These people are practicing restraint, imo.

Looks like they'll be returned soon

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24777095

Court: Texas wrongly seized sect children

Judge has 10 days to comply with ruling; applies to 48 polygamist mothers

SAN ANGELO, Texas - A Texas appeals court said Thursday that the state had no right to take more than 400 children from a polygamist sect's ranch, a ruling that could unravel one of the biggest child-custody cases in U.S. history.

It was unclear how many children were affected by the ruling. The state took 464 children into custody in April, but Thursday's ruling directly applied to the children of 48 sect mothers represented by the Texas Rio Grande Legal Aide, said Cynthia Martinez of the agency. About 200 parents are involved in the polygamy case.

The Third Court of Appeals in Austin ruled that the state offered "legally and factually insufficient" grounds for the "extreme" measure of removing all children from the ranch, from babies to teenagers.

The state never provided evidence that the children were in any immediate danger, the only grounds in Texas law for taking children from their parents without court approval, the appeals court said.

It also failed to show evidence that more than five of the teenage girls were being sexually abused, and never alleged any sexual or physical abuse against the other children, the court said.

It was not immediately clear whether the children scattered across foster facilities statewide might soon be reunited with parents. The ruling gave Texas District Judge Barbara Walther 10 days to vacate her custody order, and the state could appeal.

...MORE...

Agree 100% with the court's decision...

Do not agree with polygamy and completely disagree with 15 years being "married," but this whole situation was a bunch of BS. No way the state should have been allowed to do that.

They didn't even bother verifying the accusations

Of the 31 sect members CPS once said were underage mothers, 15 have been reclassified as adults — one was 27 years old — and an attorney for a 14-year-old girl said in court that she had no children and was not pregnant, as officials previously asserted.

As more information comes out it appears to be another state screw up.

They went in again with the "Jack Boots" when they should have gone in softly.

I didn't give much of an opinion right away as with the tailgate I've learned to try and wait 72hrs.

Each person should be tried on the merits of their own case. Group punishment has been proven not to work throughout the history of the planet.

I thought it was a given that each person should be tried on their own.

Archived