Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone work or know anyone that works for the DC Gov't?

paige3girl

I got a call about a job in the DC Gov't. I had applied for it months ago because it was very good money. The HR lady that left me the message sounds like the scariest person on earth. I can only imagine what she must look like and its not pretty in my mind. I know nothing about the DC gov't at all... or what is like to work for. Any insight before I decide if I want to pursue it or not?

I know a lady.

Have you worked with any city or state government before? If not, expect to put up with a lot of bull**** red tape. Depending on the job, it can be pretty bad I'm assuming. The woman I know does city planning. She seems to enjoy it though. I think it all depends on the people you're working with. They can either make it a good experience or a bad one.

The DC govt, due to the extremely competent Williams & Fenty administrations, is vastly improved. I have nothing but positive experiences dealing with them from matters ranging from trash pickup, street cleaning, the DMV, and getting out of parking tickets. They're still villified because of the history of the DC govt, but having lived in MD, VA, and DC, I can honestly say that I've found DC's far less bureaucratic, more responsive, and more friendly to deal with. We have Anthony Williams (former Mayor) to thank for that by completely changing the way it operates... and Fenty has thankfully continued that momentum. But... it's still govt, and thus inherently less dynamic and interesting than working for the private sector (but you'll likely have tons of job security and easy lifestyle).

my best friends dad growing up was a clerk for a few of the justices at the supreme court. and my other best friends dad worked for the dept of agriculture, but dont know what he did.

thats all i got.

but if you get the job, feel free to hook me up with a job. ;)

Archived