Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rock Cartwright article dubs him as "Former Redskin"

sheyelise

Okay for a minute I thought Rock had been cut. I see others have complained about the misprint in the comment section at the bottom of the article. Very misleading...

http://www.journal-news.net/page/content.detail/id/506818.html?nav=5006

Former Redskin to visit festival

Roderick ‘Rock’ Cartwright will be at Saturday’s event in Ranson.

By Edward Marshall / Journal Staff Writer

POSTED: May 15, 2008

RANSON — Washington Redskins running back and team record-holding kick returner Roderick Rashaun “Rock” Cartwright will travel to Ranson this Saturday to be a part of the many attractions at the city’s seventh annual Ranson Festival.

Cartwright will be introduced by Ranson Mayor A. David Hamill at 12:30 p.m. and will be available to sign autographs, speak with fans and answer questions for about two hours following his introduction.

“I’m excited about this weekend,” Cartwright said. “I hope that people come out and get an opportunity to meet me and get an opportunity to just enjoy me and enjoy everything that is going on ... I’m looking forward to a big turnout hopefully.”

Cartwright, a native of Conroe, Texas, was a seventh round draft pick of the Redskins in the 2002 NFL draft. He recently signed a three-year contract extension as a running back with the Redskins.

He said he has visited West Virginia before, but Saturday will be the first time he has made an official public appearance here. While the Redskins naturally have a fan following in Northern Virginia and in Washington, D.C., Cartwright said he is excited to meet the team’s other fans in West Virginia.

“I’m going to see all the fans that we have out there and just show them that everybody is really appreciative of them for supporting the Redskins,” Cartwright said.

Melanie Pierce, of Sonic Promotions, who has been employed by The Ranson Convention and Visitors Bureau for several years to bring in famous sports personalities to the city, said this is the first year that a current NFL player and Washington Redskin will appear at the Ranson Festival.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so excited about it. I’m a Jefferson County resident. I absolutely love this festival,” Pierce said. “For Ranson, this is just the hottest thing ... I’ve had people come up to me on the street who know me and say how excited they are about him coming.”

Hamill also said he was excited to welcome Cartwright to the city’s annual festival.

“The city of Ranson is very sports-oriented, shall we say, and I think the general consensus would be that a lot of us are Washington Redskins fans,” Hamill said. “We look forward to having him participate in our event.”

Though he has lined up in the fullback position and as running back for the Redskins, Cartwright found his real niche as a kick returner. He has handled kickoff return duties for the last two seasons and remains a key contributor on coverage duties. In 2006, Cartwright was ninth in the league with a 24.1 average among kick returners with at least 35 returns. In 2007, Cartwright played in 15 games as the Redskins’ primary kickoff returner. He returned 52 kickoffs for 1,339 yards with a 25.8 average carry and a long return of 80 yards, ranking him second in the NFL for returners with at least 35 returns.

Cartwright was also a standout on special-teams coverage, logging 34 tackles, which was the second most on the club. He is also known for breaking the Redskins’ single-season kickoff return yards record with 64 returns for 1,541 yards during the 2006 season, besting Brian Mitchell’s previous team mark of 1,478 yards set in 1994.

This year’s Ranson festival starts at 9 a.m. Saturday and will run until 5 p.m. at the Ranson Civic Center, 431 W. 2nd Ave.

— Staff writer Edward Marshall can be reached at (304) 725-6581, or emarshall@journal-news.net

That is because, ever since Joe left, Rock is the closest thing to what a 'Redskin' truly is.

Rumor has it, they are going to rename the Skins to the Washington Cartwrights. This will also hush the cry for racism. It is a win-win.

No we'll always be the Redskins......but the name will be changed to the Washington Redskin Potatoes:

228688027_43f7c5222f.jpg

and here's the new fight song chorus:

"Hail to the Redskins

Hail Victory

Spuds on the Warpath

Fight! for 'ol DC"

I live in the area and can't say anyone has came up to me talking about thier excitement over Rock Cartright coming to town. He was at FSK mall in Frederick signing autographs for 20 dollars each last summer and there was really no kind of line.

I like Rock and all but that article is just funny the way it makes him sound like a superstar or something.

I live in the area and can't say anyone has came up to me talking about thier excitement over Rock Cartright coming to town. He was at FSK mall in Frederick signing autographs for 20 dollars each last summer and there was really no kind of line.

I like Rock and all but that article is just funny the way it makes him sound like a superstar or something.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing, but I am not from there so I have no real clue.

I mean that article made it seem like he was Tom Brady or something.

He's not a superstar, but he represents all that is good with the Redskins IMHO!!! Overachieves, team first, works his ass off, extremely fan friendly and a locker room leader.

Archived