Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst album by your favorite band?

Spaceman Spiff

I didnt hate Van Hagar persay but you couldnt top 1984 if Darth Vader was singing lead. Panama, Top Jimmy, Hot for Teacher..VH was on top of its game. 5150 was meh..but by that time I was just too bummed they broke up. DLR sucked solo and VH just went into megalomaniac status...

I see there isn't a whole lot of love for Balance. Personally, I really like the album, tho by that time people might have been sick of Sammy's "love" songs.

3 was a particular disappointment for me because I thought that Gary Cherone was going to be the perfect fit for them, and I ended up being so wrong about that.

To move on to other groups, the worst Yes album has to be "Open Your Eyes". The title track is really the only redeeming song on the album.

Jason

I consider Signals to be the end of their classic style. Hold Your Fire doesn't do anything for me. In fact, I only hold Grace Under Pressure and Presto up to everything before Signals. Sure, I'm 'one of those' old-school Rush fans, but they've seriously turned towards a very basic approach compared to their young days. I can live off that stuff for the rest of my life. I disagree Hold Your Fire can touch anything before Signals, but to each his own.

Oh, I was actually agreeing with you that Power Windows was the last of their old stuff and Hold Your Fire was the best of their new stuff. My first concert of theirs was in Memphis at the Memphis Coliseum in 1987.

That's awesome, saw them at Nissan for the Vapor Trails tour. 'Twas a BADASS second set. The first set was littered with songs I didn't go there to hear.

They are coming back here in June, but I have a family reunion in MD/PA that we'll be going to so I won't be able to see them. I know they were trying to play alot from Snakes and Arrows, but sometimes I wish they'd just play songs from Roll the Bones on Back. A classic concert.

Witch Hunt is definitely awesome, but I think "The Camera Eye" goes even more unnoticed. That song is sick as hell. There are so many gems it'd take forever to discuss them all. For example, Cygnus X-1 off of Farewell to Kings is one of the more phenominal music pieces ever created.

The Camera Eye is a good one off that album also. Other underrated songs of theirs is La Villa Stratgiano (sp?), Distant Early Warning and Bastille Day to name a few.

For any big Rush fan who has all of their records, there really aren't too many songs that are unlistenable. There might be ten or less songs by the band that are just, "Meh," to me. I enjoy all periods of their music. I get into their 70s era just as much as their synth-80s era. As others have posted in this thread, I feel that Test For Echo is the weakest link the catalog. It was their 16th record. Most knowledgeable Rush fans admit that TFE was their worst. Half of the album is good to me, while the other half seem like throwaway songs. Driven, Half The World, The Color of Right and Resist are good songs.

There's also the contingent of fans who think that Vapor Trails was terrible. I do not understand this concept at all. The recording process and digital recording problems that they had when the CD went to the factory hurt it some. However, those VT songs when played live are incredible. Very loud and heavy record that sounds great.

Momentary Lapse Of Reason - Pink Floyd

You're crazy. Any discussion of "worst album" and Pink Floyd has to include their early stuff that is borderline unlistenable like Umagumma, Saucerful of Secrets, or the soundtrack from More.

Momentary Lapse had some good tunes.

Very weird though. When I saw the thread title I immediately started thinking about Van Halen and Rush albums, and both bands are dominating this discussion. I guess they were both pretty popular.

As far as Rush goes, I really started listening to them during the Power Windows/Hold Your Fire era, bought about a dozen of their albums but didn't get much past Counterparts. I agree that it's tough to pick out a 'bad' Rush album, but if forced at gunpoint I'd probably say Fly By Night. I love that early stuff but some of it got a little repetitive at times.

Very weird though. When I saw the thread title I immediately started thinking about Van Halen and Rush albums, and both bands are dominating this discussion. I guess they were both pretty popular.

As far as Rush goes, I really started listening to them during the Power Windows/Hold Your Fire era, bought about a dozen of their albums but didn't get much past Counterparts. I agree that it's tough to pick out a 'bad' Rush album, but if forced at gunpoint I'd probably say Fly By Night. I love that early stuff but some of it got a little repetitive at times.

If I was forced to choose a pre-Signals album to call the "worst", it would be Caress of Steel. Although, The Necromancer really makes it tough for me to say that.

I love Fly By Night. The one Rush song I actually hate to listen to is "Rivendell", and it's off that album, but every other song on their is awesome. I think it's one of their very best albums.

For any big Rush fan who has all of their records, there really aren't too many songs that are unlistenable. There might be ten or less songs by the band that are just, "Meh," to me. I enjoy all periods of their music. I get into their 70s era just as much as their synth-80s era. As others have posted in this thread, I feel that Test For Echo is the weakest link the catalog. It was their 16th record. Most knowledgeable Rush fans admit that TFE was their worst. Half of the album is good to me, while the other half seem like throwaway songs. Driven, Half The World, The Color of Right and Resist are good songs.

There's also the contingent of fans who think that Vapor Trails was terrible. I do not understand this concept at all. The recording process and digital recording problems that they had when the CD went to the factory hurt it some. However, those VT songs when played live are incredible. Very loud and heavy record that sounds great.

Vapor Trails is very heavy, and I think the only time you see pyrotechics at their shows is when they play a song off of it.

Being a dedicated drummer, I can't help but admire Test for Echo. Neil switched from match-grip to traditional grip. If perhaps you don't know...

Match stick grip

match_grip_top_thumb.jpg

Traditional grip

MarchingTradSide2.jpg

He put out a drum dvd showing how he formed his new style after training with legendary drummer and drum teacher, Freddy Gruber. Every song on the dvd is from Test for Echo. It's the only album Neil played with traditional grip, he switched back to match-stick for Vapor Trails. So naturally, I admire his balls to switch his GRIP, of all things, that late in his career.

Any time he plays Test for Echo songs live, he plays them with traditional grip.

you thought the guy from extreme could replace sammy hagar or david lee roth?

Considering that I felt that Extreme was the closest thing to classic Van Halen out there (At least for the first two albums), I didn't feel it was much of a reach.

Unfortunately, Cherone's later more political lyrics didn't really fit in well with what VH was about. I don't put it all on him, tho. It was very obvious that Eddie songwriting was very lackadaisical. There were some signs of that with Balance, which seemed to quote a lot from his past, rather than blazed new trails.

I think most of the negative views of that album comes from the much hated production on the album. Personally, I think it has some of Neil's best lyrical work in years.

You're crazy. Any discussion of "worst album" and Pink Floyd has to include their early stuff that is borderline unlistenable like Umagumma, Saucerful of Secrets, or the soundtrack from More.

Like Rush, Pink Floyd went through many phases in their career. Floyd under Syd Barrett could be considered almost a completely different band from what Floyd became after he left.

Vapor Trails is very heavy, and I think the only time you see pyrotechics at their shows is when they play a song off of it.

Double Agent from Counterparts comes to mind. Probably the first time I remember them using flash pots.

He put out a drum dvd showing how he formed his new style after training with legendary drummer and drum teacher, Freddy Gruber. Every song on the dvd is from Test for Echo. It's the only album Neil played with traditional grip, he switched back to match-stick for Vapor Trails. So naturally, I admire his balls to switch his GRIP, of all things, that late in his career.

Any time he plays Test for Echo songs live, he plays them with traditional grip.

I didn't realize that he switched back.

That was around the time where he was doing the Buddy Rich tribute album, which is why I think he did it.

Jason

Anything by Radiohead after OK Computer.

Agreed! OK Computer was so awesome it was "scrumtralesant" but omfg, what happened after that? I blame it on the Icarus effect.

:helmet:

Band - LIVE.

Album - The one after "Throwing Copper". (so bad I can't remember its name) It's mother was a hamster and it's father smelt of Elderberries.

:helmet: :helmet:

Octavarium by Dream Theater (with the exception of the songs Sacrificed Sons and the title track).

St. Anger is terrible

I can't stand the new destroy the runner album.

well, I like all my other music, or else I wouldn't have it lol

Considering that I felt that Extreme was the closest thing to classic Van Halen out there (At least for the first two albums), I didn't feel it was much of a reach.

Unfortunately, Cherone's later more political lyrics didn't really fit in well with what VH was about. I don't put it all on him, tho. It was very obvious that Eddie songwriting was very lackadaisical. There were some signs of that with Balance, which seemed to quote a lot from his past, rather than blazed new trails.

were talking the same group that made that cheesy song "more then words"? the same group that had the lead singer in a video dressed up like a glam metal anthony kedis?

i dunno..maybe its just me but comparing charone to david lee roth seems way out of place.

Being a dedicated drummer, I can't help but admire Test for Echo. Neil switched from match-grip to traditional grip. If perhaps you don't know...

Match stick grip

match_grip_top_thumb.jpg

Traditional grip

MarchingTradSide2.jpg

That's some cool information that I didn't know about. I play the drums also. I used to take lessons when I was 6 until I was 15. I wish I would have dedicated myself more to it. I played in HS and we had a neighborhood band. I hadn't played in years (over 10) when my wife surprised me 2 X-Mas ago with a 5 price with 2 cymbols. Now I just mess around and try to play along to songs.

When I was in HS, the 2 other snare drum players were Seniors and I was a freshman. We all played traditional grip in marching band. Then, when I was Junior, a Sophomore and 2 Freshman played with match grip. I was always taight to play traditional on the snare and match on the set. I had to MAKE them switch to traditional.

Red Hot Chili Peppers-One Hot Minute- Dave Navarro was not, is not and never will be a Chili Pepper to me. I try to forget about those sad years between Blood Sugar Sex Magik and Californication.

I had no idea that Navarro was a RHCP.....How long was he in the group for? Why did he leave?

Momentary Lapse had some good tunes.

Ahh I love the early Floyd.....Barrett was amazing and a little crazy :silly: but Saucerful of Secrets is one of my favorite albums but yea as someelse said when Sid left and Gilmore joined it became a differnet sound.

Ahh I love the early Floyd.....Barrett was amazing and a little crazy :silly: but Saucerful of Secrets is one of my favorite albums but yea as someelse said when Sid left and Gilmore joined it became a differnet sound.

You want to talk about a crazy ass album, check this out if you haven't already:

B000007MVM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Honey love you, honey little,

honey funny sunny morning

love you more funny love in the skyline baby

ice-cream 'scuse me, I've seen you looking good the other evening"

Interesting tidbit: This album was produced by (among others) Roger Waters and David Gilmour who were still feeling a little bummed out about kicking Syd out of the band.

• 3 weeks later...

In 2003, when I saw The Darkness on TV for the first time, I thought to myself, "WTF kind of drugs are these guys on?" Within a month of me getting their first album and some b-sides, I fell in love with the band. They could rock hard and brought the sexy back into some dirty rock n' roll. Permission To Land was a great record to my ears. People thought of them as an 80s band for the most part, but their musical style was more in the lines of AC/DC with a guy who sounded like Freddie Mercury on the stick. My wife and I saw them live in 2004 and they owned rock and roll for that night. So awesome.

They then release their second album, One Way Ticket and it is so bad. Justin, the lead singer was battling drug addiction and the album was a total flop. Maybe three or four songs were enjoyable. The others were throwaway songs or just plain too odd to listen to.

- Good Darkness (This song is about getting crabs by the way)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hUoYDJDiY6U - Not so good Darkness.

Dang, I like almost every song on that album besides Carouselambra and I'm Gonna Crawl. A few of those tunes are heavy as hell. In the Evening and South Bound Saurez are a back to back thunderstorm of soul. I also enjoy listening to Hot Dog, it's pretty darn funky.

I actually took another listen to this album this past week while I was on a plane. It's not bad, but there are two songs on there that I don't like, one is "All of your love", the other escapes me.

Not a bad album, but I still think it's the weakest of the Zeppelin catalog.

I had no idea that Navarro was a RHCP.....How long was he in the group for? Why did he leave?

IIRC, he was only a member for the One Hot Minute album.

Since that album was their biggest post Blood Sugar Sex Magick flop, I think Navarro left on good terms. They all agreed that it wasn't working out and they wanted to get Frusciante back in the band.

Archived