Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FrFan

Redskins 2008 Draft Grades

Washington (Fox Sports)

The Redskins apparently got the message that they won't be trading for Cincinnati's Chad Johnson anytime soon. They took two of the draft's top three receivers in Michigan State's Devin Thomas and Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly. Thomas has great athletic ability, while Kelly plays a lot faster than his 4.6 time. USC tight end Fred Davis was an interesting pick in the second round, considering Chris Cooley is one of Washington's better players. I will say this: The first three choices all should help Washington's offensive production. Northern Iowa tackle Chad Rinehart shined at the Senior Bowl and gives them depth at a position that was battered last season. Hawaii QB Colt Brennan, who was hampered by his off-the-field transgressions, figures to be placed on injured-reserve due to his late season injury. Brennan knows coach Jim Zorn's West Coast offense and may have a future.

Grade: B

Washington Redskins (NBC Sports)

The Redskins secured three weapons for Jason Campbell – tight end Fred Davis and receivers Malcolm Kelly, and Devin Thomas. But really, how much is Davis going to help? Sixth-rounder Durant Brooks was the best punter this year (and the only one drafted).

Late-round defensive backs Chris Horton and Kareem Moore will push Reed Doughty to start at strong safety. Iowa offensive tackle Chad Rinehart plays with power. Sixth-round quarterback Colt Brennan has exceptional accuracy, but will likely spend his rookie season on injured reserve.

Grade: B-

Washington Redskins (Yahoo Sports)

Picks: WR Devin Thomas, TE Fred Davis, WR Malcolm Kelly, OL Chad Rinehart, DB Justin Tryon, P Durant Brooks, DB Kareem Moore, QB Colt Brennan, DL Rob Jackson, DB Chris Horton

Positives: Thomas, Davis, Kelly, Brooks

Negative: Defensive end not addressed until the seventh round.

Bottom line: A.

Ten overall picks with lots of potential from top to bottom. The two wideouts slipped a little and could all end up providing great value. Thomas and Kelly could develop into quality big targets, and an AFC scout told Yahoo! Sports in February that Davis was the best overall talent at tight end in this draft. The punter need was addressed with the best one the college game had to offer in Brooks. Brennan is an intriguing pick late in the sixth round. A lot of potential starters in this draft.

Washington Redskins: GRADE: B+ (ESPN)

They traded out of the first round and still were able to get three offensive weapons in the second round: wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly and tight end Fred Davis. Chad Rinehart is a versatile offensive lineman who can play guard or tackle. In the sixth round, Georgia Tech's Durant Brooks was the first -- and only -- punter drafted. He has a strong leg and should compete for the starting job (30 of his 65 punts were 50 yards or longer). Hawaii QB Colt Brennan went in the sixth round. He isn't very big, but he has some ability. What hurt Brennan was his performance in the Sugar Bowl and the Senior Bowl practices, and the system he played in, which allowed him to put up big numbers. Safety Christopher Horton will be a good backup and special teams player. The only thing the Redskins didn't get was a pass-rushing defensive end.

It's about time we do something positive with the draft. All of these people need to quit ****in and realize that we had one of the best drafts in the league this year.

It's about time we do something positive with the draft. All of these people need to quit ****in and realize that we had one of the best drafts in the league this year.

Completely agree with you. It has been a little shocking to see how many negative comments their have been in the last 2 days about our draft. People need to realize that just because we need a DE or DT, doesn't mean we should just draft one since that position is available. Did it ever occur to people that maybe this draft was weak in the DE spot and it would be a wasted 2nd/3rd round pick that could be used for better quality players? All of our needs can't ben adressed in one draft, it is a process that must be done to become legit super bowl contenders. The FO knows what it is doing and had a fantastic draft that everyone will realize down the road. I just wish people would calm down and look at the overall picture.

Great draft, great grades and looks like great undrafted free agents. Holy cow what a weekend.:notworthy :applause:

Great draft trades from our FO. The only missing piece of the puzzle is a good DE, hope the FO is going to fill this need anytime soon.

Hail

I'm surprised they think that the late round safeties are good enough to push Doughty.

Also this is the second time I've seen something that says Brennan will end up on IR. The NFL seems to pay more attention to that now days compared to when we did it with Rypien, Humphries and Conklin. So he must have an actual injury. That makes me wonder who our third QB will be during the season.

Man, I'd much rather infuse the team with youth via the draft.

Seriously, we've picked up players like Keenan McCardell, Randall Godfrey, Ralph Brown, Omar Stoutmire, etc.

I'm not hating on those players, some of them played very well for us, but these rookies are cheaper and they have potential. None of those guys above had a HUGE role. A mid-round pick could accomplish what those guys gave us for a cheaper price and a much greater upside.

It's difficult to consistently draft well, but Vinny gave the coaches talent to work with.

Mel Kiper listed the Skins as having one of the best drafts this morning on Mike and Mike. He also listed the Cowboys which sucks, but it was nice to hear that we were up there in the top 5.

Whats with NBC?

The Redskins secured three weapons for Jason Campbell – tight end Fred Davis and receivers Malcolm Kelly, and Devin Thomas. But really, how much is Davis going to help? Sixth-rounder Durant Brooks was the best punter this year (and the only one drafted).

Late-round defensive backs Chris Horton and Kareem Moore will push Reed Doughty to start at strong safety. Iowa offensive tackle Chad Rinehart plays with power. Sixth-round quarterback Colt Brennan has exceptional accuracy, but will likely spend his rookie season on injured reserve.

Ummm B-? What the heck?

I've been hibernating, so this will be my first post in a while. I'm quite pleased with our draft. Very interesting picks. I'm still scratching my head with the TE pick, but if he lives up to his hype, it will be fun to watch both Cooley and Davis on the field together.

My opinion, though, is we needed a DE. I think it wouldn't have hurt us to pass on the TE position in the 2nd round.

Overall, though, I think we're headed in the right direction.

Whats with NBC?

Ummm B-? What the heck?

I love the comment "But really, how much is Davis going to help?" and then they give Dallas a higher grade for taking a backup running back with their first pick and a lower rated TE right after we got Davis and praise the pick. Whatever.

I'm surprised they think that the late round safeties are good enough to push Doughty.

I read another analysis of our draft saying that

our late round safeties will push Doughty for

a starting job.

I know I wanted a lot more OL out of this draft, and I don't understand the Fred Davis pick when we have Cooley, Yoder and last year's TE draft pick returning. Having said that, even with the learning curve the new WR's have (so don't expect immediate starts) it's about time we had some offensive firepower added. We got a decent CB, although green, and even if I don't understand the TE pick, Fred Davis, after his learning curve also, may turn out to be the the highest quality depth at a position we have. (Think Don Warren and Clint Didier for the other old forts out here)

The pick of Chad Rinehart is a step in the right direction in upgrading the OL and, like all quality OL (those drafted in the 3rd round or higher) should be around for at least 8 years if the FO keeps his contract in line with his performance, which I expect to be be very good, if not stellar. We overcame the small school bias the NFL has in this pickup. He may very well be considered the steal of this year's draft in the upcoming years. Even though he is a 3rd round pick, I expect to see him get playing time early this year, if not from injury to Thomas or Fabini, then to win out just by better performance than our current guard depth.

We even got the best punter in the draft. We got the best TE in the draft. And, we got two of the best three WR's in the draft. And we did it all without having to spend first round money. I can only think in superlatives. If we had 32 first round picks, I know we could have done better, but with the picks we had, I can only say I feel that we did something right this year.

As someone who has said bad things about Vinny and Dan Snyder in the past, I would like to say how happy I am that we did not get Ocho Cinqo and how glad I am we went with the draft. Good choices.

I think the Reinhart/Brooks pick-up was very significant in this draft. i'm looking forward to seeing brooks and frost goign at it during the offseason and into preseason. even though i'm starting to like frost more and more each season, brooks has got a leg on him that is hard to compete with.

The only reason those people are ****ing about this draft is because the team didn't get what THEY wanted them to, a pass-rushing DE early.

Those fans, rather than appreciate the fact we got 3 1st round prospects in the 2nd, would rather us draft for need, despite that draft philosophy being very poor in comparison to the BPA philosophy we go by. The same haters who were trashing the Landry pick, claiming our D would be 31st again, are back at it. You'd think being dead wrong about last years draft would deter them, but sadly it hasn't. Some people would rather just mouth off than make an actual attempt to understand our picks and draft philosophy.

The same people who wanted a pass rushing DE in '06 and were damning the team, are now whining we should have picked up Calais in the 2nd. A DE whose stock fell far or the best TE in the draft? Help an already top 10 D, or help an O which was ineffective in the redzone? Hmmm... Tough one. Not really.

Whats with NBC?

Ummm B-? What the heck?

The Davis and Jackson picks. Davis.........I dont thinik anyone really understands that one, except for pure BPA. I'd rather stretch and get a guy in a position that will actually have a chance of contributing. And Rob Jackson, a 259 lbs DE that had 2 sacks last year. Awesome. :doh:

Outside of those 2 I'd say they did a good job in getting players they think are going to help the team, and in getting some depth. But those 2 take away any chance of a "A" grade.

Since everyone is agreeing that skins had one of the best drafts in the league this year, i wanted to know when did we have a better draft? could this be skins' best draft ever?

I think that the FO office did a great job; however, nobody will know anything for sure for a couple of seasons.