Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Artist" starves dog... (MERGED)

Spaceman Spiff

This is terrible. I don't condone this at all and if I lived close to the gallery I would be happy to go there and release it.

I do have to say as a point of reference, dogs are not quite held in the same reverence here as they are in the States.

There are many that love dogs and treat them right, but this is not super dissimilar to other Central American countries that have a decent sized feral dog population. So some of those pics look like dogs you could see in the street in the name of "life."

I only had to say all that because the pic with the dog in the foreground and the people paying it no attention in the background seems more disturbing without perspective.

If I had the money to fly to Costa Rica I'd personally rid the Earth of this worthless piece of **** they call an artist.

Im with you man!!! sick fk'rs , i would goto jail in a heartbeat for murder, if i ever saw anything like that in person

This is terrible. I don't condone this at all and if I lived close to the gallery I would be happy to go there and release it.

I do have to say as a point of reference, dogs are not quite held in the same reverence here as they are in the States.

There are many that love dogs and treat them right, but this is not super dissimilar to other Central American countries that have a decent sized feral dog population. So some of those pics look like dogs you could see in the street in the name of "life."

I only had to say all that because the pic with the dog in the foreground and the people paying it no attention in the background seems more disturbing without perspective.

It's worse in China...http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14139027/

060801_chinadog_hmed_1p_hmedium.jpg

F***

I want to be the greatest artist in the history and starve this hijo de puta, I'm sure everyone will cheer for me.

A question for you guys.

Did you have problems with street dogs?

I mean, in Central America and South America this is a big problem.

A question for you guys.

You'll mostly find stray dogs in some parts of major cities but it is not nearly as common as in other countries...for example there aren't exactly packs of dogs roaming the streets in New York, D.C. etc. but there are some here and there.

As for the "art" starving an animal to death for no good reason is pretty ****ed up.

Im with you man!!! sick fk'rs , i would goto jail in a heartbeat for murder, if i ever saw anything like that in person

You'd regret it in 20 years.

what does the writing on the gallery wall say? i took french, not spanish....? i'm just curious.

"This is what you read"

A question for you guys.

Yes and no. There is a problem with too many dogs to be taken care of, but they aren't dangerous in the least and tend to get fed in my area unless they spend their entire life on the beach.

We have actually had some traveling vets pass through our town a few times to perform surgery (ie; fix) dogs owned by locals who couldn't otherwise afford it. My wife and I chip in for that when it happens. (I live in a rural beach town)

But in San Jose the capital, it's more like Los Angeles than what we think of Central America usually. I haven't spent a ton of time there, but I haven't seen any strays in the city. Although I'm sure they exist to some degree, particularly in the poorer neighborhoods.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cBBudN0_-E&feature=related

If you though Vick's dog case was bad. This is horrible. An artist entered his dog in an art competition. He had kids catch his dog and then he chained it to a wall and told people that walked by not to feed the dog. The dog hadn't been feed in days I'm assuming because the way it looks in the video. The guy won first place in the art competition and the dog died during the art competition. I don't see how this won though, it's sickening.

tear-jerking to say the least.

Wow. That's sick. The link in the first thread has a letter someone wrote concerning this display. It sums up how I feel pretty accurately:

I, along with many people worldwide, am outraged that Guillermo Habacuc Vargas has been selected to represent Costa Rica in "Bienal Centroamericana Honduras 2008.” This man is by no definition of the word an artist. He is a criminally insane sadist and enjoys inflicting prolonged suffering upon his innocent victims. He is a danger to all of society, as it is well-documented that those with the capacity to intentionally cause harm to an animal have the same capacity to harm humans. To state that this animal would have died eventually of natural causes is unjustifiable and defies logical, rational thought.

To allow Guillermo Habacuc Vargas to represent Costa Rica in Bienal Centroamericana Honduras 2008 will in no way benefit Costa Rica. The world is watching, and the actions of this so-called artist have brought many negative assumptions as to the humanity of the people of Costa Rica. The fact that many witnesses of this animal’s suffering did nothing, and that the organizers of this event allowed this to happen, rather than taking action to see that Guillermo Vargas be criminally charged with animal abuse, is sending the world a message that Costa Rica is a cruel, uncivilized society that has no regard for life, but enjoys viewing and contributing to the loss of life.

Each and every person who knew of and witnessed the suffering of this innocent dog is guilty of causing its unnecessary death. To let this crime go unpunished, and instead to reward Guillermo Vargas by choosing him to represent Costa Rica in Bienal Centroamericana Honduras 2008 is unacceptable and shameful, not only to Costa Rica but to all participants in this event.

Well, this is why I said 'assuming this is true' in my first post:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/vargas.asp

And from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillermo_Habacuc_Vargas

Juanita Bermúdez, the director of the Códice Gallery, was quoted in La Prensa[3] as saying that the animal was fed regularly and was only tied up for three hours on one day before it escaped.[4] Upon conducting a probe, the Humane Society was informed that the dog was in a state of starvation when it was captured and escaped after one day of captivity; the Humane Society also acknowledged, in reference to reports that the dog had been starved to death, "the facts [had] been misconstrued in some news articles"; however, the organization also categorically condemned "the use of live animals in exhibits such as this."

Archived