Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FROSTY28

From Lenny P -- Nfl Sources Call Washington Times Article "ridiculous"

It's insane: Lenny P goes out of his way to defend the skins now.

"Meanwhile, the Jets continue to press the NFL in its investigation of the manner in which the Redskins signed Coles last week to a seven-year, $35 million offer sheet that included a $13 million signing bonus. The contention by the Jets is that the deal was struck Sunday night but not filed until Wednesday and, in essence, took Coles off the market for three days.

In reality, that delay afforded New York an extra three days to begin the process of evaluating Coles' importance to the team and to start contacting potential replacements. While the league takes the charges seriously, it is not likely to void the offer sheet. And one NFL official termed "ridiculous" a published report the Redskins could forfeit a first-round choice because of their handling of the Coles signing.

The consensus is that the league might fine Redkins owner Daniel Snyder and uphold the offer sheet Coles signed."

I'm pretty sure Lenny is referring to Frisco's report at CBS Sportsline, which was written a few days ago.

According to Art, Len goes out of his way to protect his good buddy, Rick Snider, so there is no way that Lenny could be making cheap shots at him.

The reason all the writers always write bad about us is because Danny wont talk to them and give them hunches to help their terrible careers. However Snyder has talked to Lenny P. so he is now writing good things about us.

The teams they are nice to are the teams that they owners/coaches dont mind giving out all the info there is. Like Baltimore.

I wonder if Snyder fed him at the Palm or Old Country Buffet.

Either way had to be a terrible hit on his American Express to

feed him.

Originally posted by ']['he ]|)ark ]|~[orse

According to Art, Len goes out of his way to protect his good buddy, Rick Snider, so there is no way that Lenny could be making cheap shots at him.

It is kind of odd that the Times story that said there was a chance that the Skins could lose a #1 over this "infraction" got a dual byline with Snider and Jody Foldesy. It's strange because Snider left any and all coverage of the Skins at the end of the season to cover the Maryland Terps full time.

Originally posted by ']['he ]|)ark ]|~[orse

I'm pretty sure Lenny is referring to Frisco's report at CBS Sportsline, which was written a few days ago.

DH,

I think it was Glazer who wrote the piece at Sportsline and I don't recall seeing any first-round stripping of picks mentioned as a possible punishment, but, I could be wrong on that. The Times and a the New York papers gave that as a possible punishment. I don't know which report Lenny the Hutt was ACTUALLY putting down.

However, it would not be correct to term Lenny's friendship with Rick as one where Lenny won't contradict the Times. If you'll recall Lenny did so after the Times wrote about the front office shakeup. The sign that Lenny is protective of the Times reports came a couple of weeks later, buried in a "Heard in the Press Box" piece that suggested the alignment was, indeed, happening.

If Lenny is commenting on the Times piece here, he'll have a protective paragraph in an article in the coming week or so that confirms an NFL source said it was a possibility for the Redskins to lose a first round pick, but they decided to do something else, or nothing, instead. :)

As I suggested in a previous "why is Lenny not anti-Skins these days?" thread, I think it's b/c of his renewed friendship w/ his old ESPN buddy Cerrato. I've been looking at Pasquarelli's columns for this angle the last couple of months and it's been pretty clear that Cerrato has been a regular source for Pasquarelli, both giving him quotes when he needs someone from some NFL team to say something (e.g., about a workout, or about the off-season talent evaluation process), or when he wants Skins-specific info before other journalists get it. (I think this is a great development, b/c I think Pasquarelli's new attitude of "give Snyder his props" spills over into conventional wisdom; he's an opinion-setter.)

Maybe this is a stupid question, but... How did Lenny get to be the force he is? He's obviously the hardest working man in NFL journalism. Art?

I don't know that Lenny is a "force". Mort and Clayton certainly carry much more weight than Lenny. Back in 1999 you could set a clock to Lenny in terms of beating EVERYONE to everything. That man was remarkable. You couldn't touche his info or his ability to beat everyone to the punch.

However, CBS Sportsline had and has a lower threshold for publication than ESPN so Lenny was slowed after his transition to get enough of the same source material to satisfy publication quality at ESPN and he was slower to break stories and wound up being, for the most part, just another guy offering analysis.

Over the last year he has gotten back into the breaking news game and he's had a so-so track record though he seems to be getting the old touch back. That doesn't mean his Redskins coverage either. He used to be the best Redskins guy there was. He knew everything.