Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog -- Likely draft DL early, Chad, etc

Skinsinparadise

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 10:04 AM ET, 04/ 1/2008

I'm Back

After a few weeks of vacation and time to tend to some family issues, I am happy to be back among the blog faithful. So, real quick, what did I miss??

Okay, not much, just as I suspected. I'm pretty much cool with the tact Vinny Cerrato has taken with free agency thus far, though I do believe self scouting has always been a significant problem with this organization and the powers that be may be grossly overestimating their ability to fill all remaining holes via the draft (and there are some big ones). But, regardless, it was about time the Skins didn't set all kinds of spending records for mostly average players, and this free agent class was indeed without much steak for all the sizzle.

Now, while I applaud them for getting guys like Derrick Frost, Rock Cartwright and Jason Fabini back at bargain prices, only time will tell if they struck out at the position Cerrato and owner Daniel Snyder deemed to be most in need of an upgrade - wide receiver.

They wouldn't offer Reche Caldwell and DJ Hackett anything over the veteran minimum, not willing to lavish either with a mil or two as a signing bonus. SO basically both would be coming here with no guaranteed money at all .... That wasn't going to happen and Vinny had to know that wasn't going to happen. They fully expected someone else to emerge and in both cases it happened. Would it have been worth a little bit of cash to ensure at least of those guys was here? I think so.

But of course, I also fully expect them to continue their covert longing for Cincy's Chad Johnson. As I reported a day after Jim Zorn came on board as coach, Johnson was the major player the Skins hoped to acquire. He's the splash they hope to make after weeks of barely a ripple. In June, when his cap hit to the Bengals would be halved the Skins will be there to pounce should Chad force his way out of Cincy.

Look, Cerrato and Snyder cleared about $9 million in cap room for a reason. They knew they would not be active in the first few waves of free agency, save for re-signing Collins and some of their own players. Sure, they sniffed around on DeAngelo Hall, Larry Fitzgerald and a few other trade options, but nothing ever got too serious. The primary issues on defense - D Line in particular - will be addresses early in the draft, they have told DC Greg Blache as much (Blache has been adamant about his want, sources said, to his credit).

And it's unlikely you will find the kind of big, athletic, stud WR Snyder/Cerrato want in the mid rounds, or even with the 21st pick for that matter).

I still see WR as the position where the Skins most likely do something big beyond drafting players and signing role free agents. Right now you have cut bait with Brandon Lloyd, Caldwell and Keenan McCardell from last season, and top guy Santana Moss hasn't really been fully healthy since 2005. Anthony Mix is a nice prospect, but for a team banking on a flashy new offense to piggy-back off its playoff trip, well, not sure you can just pencil him in as a legit 2-3 guy right now. When healthy Antwaan Randle-El had a great start to the season, but he tailed off as well and has yet to post that true, full breakthrough season (and his punt return work has been pedestrian in two seasons here). The old staff was split on whether it believed Mike Espy would develop into a player, sources said, and successive season-ending injuries can't help his cause).

Offense if Snyder's bag. It's what he loves. According to sources, Snyder pushed long and hard to draft WR Ted Ginn Jr. with the sixth overall pick last year (what a disaster that would have been had Gregg Williams not saved the owner from himself - RB Clinton Portis's constant lobbying of Snyder and Joe Gibbs for Landry had some impact as well, team sources said), and the Skins have flirted with Calvin Johnson and Braylon Edwards in the draft the last few seasons. Snyder made it known in no uncertain terms that he wanted Johnson when interviewing coaching candidates this off season, and I await Johnson and agent Drew Rosenhaus's next move to try to force an exit from Cincy.

Other than that, hard to imagine a whole lot of roster activity the next few months save for more depth additions. At some point they will sign a few CBs along the lines of guys like Butler a year ago, to add some veteran depth. I would not be surprised to see a veteran punter brought in to challenge Frost at some point later in the off season, too, and look for offensive line to be a prime target in the first three rounds of the draft as well, particularly with the third-round comp pick awarded.

It makes sense, because its too counter intuitive for them to take the position that they needed depth the most and their key starter is injury prone -- and basically kill the depth we have and take a big leap of faith on an undrafted player who has never started a game in the NFL.

Interesting if true that Snyder wanted Ginn as opposed to Landry. If so am glad he was talked out of it.

In terms of drafting a d lineman early I was arguing with someone last weekend over it -- to me it made sense that they'd look for at least one D lineman early considering Cerrato flat out said that they are likely looking for TWO D line guys. I thought it would be odd to prioritze a position and then just fish in the lower rounds for it. But who knows, will see.

He speculated about Espy a little bit, but he's not really worth mentioning anymore considering he was cut weeks ago.

I do agree with him regarding what the Redskins did with the Cap. They didn't have a reason to get that far under the cap unless they intended to use the space.

If he's right about Chad Johnson being a post June 1st move, that would mean it wouldn't have an effect this year's draft. We'd likely be giving up a 2009 pick... if it happens.

I think the Redskins would be foolish not to address the need for a WR in this draft thinking that they will get Chad Johnson though.

Danny wanted us to draft Ginn Jr. last year? Man that would've been terrible ... :doh:

Don't get me wrong, the guy may end up being an absolute stud and started to show at the end last year that he could be a #1 in Miami. But he's not what we needed at all.

I fully expect Chad to be a Redskin in 2008. Snyder will get his man but will have to pay heavily - definitley a 1st rounder in 2009 - maybe a 2nd or 3rd with it?

I am not on board with the idea of bringing Chad Johnson here, but I don't think the Redskins would need to give up as much as you are suggesting to get him.

The Patriots only gave up a 3rd rounder to get Randy Moss, and he is a better WR than Johnson.

I fully expect Chad to be a Redskin in 2008. Snyder will get his man but will have to pay heavily - definitley a 1st rounder in 2009 - maybe a 2nd or 3rd with it?

Yeah, it's more and more likely. I figured with no main moves in FA, despite repeatedly saying how WR was a need by Zorn and Cerrato, that we'd look to either Sweed or Kelly in the 1st round (who I don't think are going to be as good as the hype). However, neither guy seems to have stood out to the team, at least according to rumors.

A 2009 1st round pick and maybe conditional additional picks (make Pro Bowl = extra 3rd rounder or something) for Chad Johnson is what Snyder/Cerrato probably are looking at. We'll have to see if the Bengals will hold to their stance that Chad Johnson won't be traded. There's definitely a lot of bad blood between the teams. Chad Johnson went on NFL Network and was repeatedly saying how serious he was that he could just join the guys in the studio and sit out rather than play again for Marvin Lewis and the Bengals (you can check the video on NFL.com).

Remember Chad is disgruntled in Cincy and the question remains? Does Cincy want rid themselves of a player who will be malcontent or play hardball and never see any incentive for their reward.

I think the Redskins would be foolish not to address the need for a WR in this draft thinking that they will get Chad Johnson though.

As much as JLC has locked onto Chad Johnson, I doubt that is what the team is banking on. I'm sure they are looking at the trade market to see who might be available, not just at WR, but at other positions. I actually doubt that they freed cap space because they actually have someone they are going to use it on. I think they are keeping their options open.

Almost certainly they will draft someone at WR, but I disagree with his assessment that it is the greatest need on this team. The team seems to be working hard to improve the health of both Moss and ARE, since those hamstring issues seemed to be all over the place last year, not just with those guys.

But, I think Guard is actually a bigger need since after this year we don't have a guy at LG and we really need to get someone in. I'd put DE at the same level as WR, since we are very thin at that position right now. After that, I'd put down S and CB.

Jason

A trade for Chad Johnson would include Ladell Betts. I think Chad for Ladell and a 2009 2nd rounder. For the record, I don't want Chad and Dan Snyder is a moron.

Before you guys say we aren't going to trade Ladell, we might. We have NOT guaranteed and prorated his bonus this year for the specific purpose of keeping him available on the market. If we intended to keep him we would have done that months ago. That being said, it's not definite, they have just left open the possibility. We could have just left the window open to see what offers would be available, but he is the most likely candidate on our team to be traded.

Yeah, it's more and more likely. I figured with no main moves in FA, despite repeatedly saying how WR was a need by Zorn and Cerrato, that we'd look to either Sweed or Kelly in the 1st round (who I don't think are going to be as good as the hype). However, neither guy seems to have stood out to the team, at least according to rumors.

They aren't hyped that much, I've heard now both the ESPN guys and for that matter the NFL Network guys say as recent as yesterday that NONE of the Wr's are first round grades.

Mayock was touting Devin Thomas, Royal and Jordy Nelson a bit

The Patriots only gave up a 3rd rounder to get Randy Moss, and he is a better WR than Johnson.

They also gave up a 2nd rounder for Wes Welker. Using Randy Moss as a point of comparison probably isn't the best thing to do considering it was a unique circumstance.

They also gave up a 2nd rounder for Wes Welker. Using Randy Moss as a point of comparison probably isn't the best thing to do considering it was a unique circumstance.

True, but thinking that we have to give up a FIRST rounder to aquire Chad Johnson?

I don't think so. :)

The NFL Network clip with Chad Johnson: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8074ae3a

Jamie Dukes: What would be the ideal situation for Chad?

CJ: I need a change...a change of scenery...a fresh start...I need it

Jamie Dukes: Any chance you'll be here with us [in the studio]?

CJ: I could be...for 16 weeks straight...I am so serious...If I don't stand up for Chad, I am done...I am not playing...change.

A trade for Chad Johnson would include Ladell Betts. I think Chad for Ladell and a 2009 2nd rounder. For the record' date=' I don't want Chad and Dan Snyder is a moron.

Before you guys say we aren't going to trade Ladell, we might. We have NOT guaranteed and prorated his bonus this year for the specific purpose of keeping him available on the market. If we intended to keep him we would have done that months ago. That being said, it's not definite, they have just left open the possibility. We could have just left the window open to see what offers would be available, but he is the most likely candidate on our team to be traded.[/quote']

A signal we are thinking of dangling Betts as trade bait would be us drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

If Chad Johnson does sulk his way out of Cinncy there will be a market for his services - we will not be the only team interested. It will take more than a 2009 2nd round pick to get him I would think with our without Betts as part of the deal.

That was a different situation thou. Randy Moss did nothing in Oakland and he had some issues. (locker room ect.) You will never get CJ for a 3rd rounder, that I can promise you.

Saying Moss is better probably is not true either. Moss had a great couple years in Minn. and after that he left and he did nothing. Now he has Tom Brady throwing to him. Tom Brady can make a crappy WR look good. Im not saying Moss is crappy just Tom Brady makes people look better.

On the other hand CJ has been doing his thing year in and year out. I think they both are very good WRs. Im also not on the board for bring CJ here but would welcome it if it were to happen.

I am not on board with the idea of bringing Chad Johnson here, but I don't think the Redskins would need to give up as much as you are suggesting to get him.

Almost certainly they will draft someone at WR, but I disagree with his assessment that it is the greatest need on this team. The team seems to be working hard to improve the health of both Moss and ARE, since those hamstring issues seemed to be all over the place last year, not just with those guys.

But, I think Guard is actually a bigger need since after this year we don't have a guy at LG and we really need to get someone in. I'd put DE at the same level as WR, since we are very thin at that position right now. After that, I'd put down S and CB.

Jason

I think most of our needs consist of youth and depth on the lines and secondary. Guys who can fill in and role play for the short term and be groomed to start. We have Kendall at Guard and I don't see a rookie beating him out this season. I think the same at DE and DT. Rookies will have a hard time beating out Griffin or Daniels in their first seasons. They should be able to contribute significantly if we draft right and maybe they'll surprise... who knows.

However, I see WR differently. I think we need an immediate improvement on the starting line up. Randel El shouldn't be anything more than a slot WR and Moss is consistently injured. After that we have Thrash and Mix. It's paper thin. To me, it's a glaring weakness.

Before you guys say we aren't going to trade Ladell' date=' we might. We have NOT guaranteed and prorated his bonus this year for the specific purpose of keeping him available on the market.[/quote']

There was no point in doing anything with his contract. He costs next to nothing to begin with.

A signal we are thinking of dangling Betts as trade bait would be us drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

If Chad Johnson does sulk his way out of Cinncy there will be a market for his services - we will not be the only team interested. It will take more than a 2009 2nd round pick to get him I would think with our without Betts as part of the deal.

We don't necessarily have to draft a replacement. Don't forget, Shaun Alexander will be available along with other FA's. I also think you are overvaluing Chad and undervaluing the situation. He is disgruntled and wants a lot of money. Sure teams are interested, but they haven't been interested enough to get something done to this point.

Archived