Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Republicans taking it to McCain on immigration

The_cavalierman

Should McCain reject Hagee's endorsement?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should McCain reject Hagee's endorsement?

Senate Republicans Resurrect McCain's Immigration Woes By: Joe Murray , The Bulletin

While President George W. Bush danced at the White House and Sen. John McCain enjoyed all the spoils bestowed to the Republican presidential nominee, his colleagues in the Senate were busy introducing 15 new measures focusing on illegal immigration, an issue that once inflicted a near fatal wound on the McCain campaign.

"The American people have made it clear that they want Congress to take action to limit illegal immigration, secure our borders and restore lawfulness to our immigration system," said Sen. Jeff Session (R-Ala.), the conservative senator leading the immigration reform effort. "This package of legislation represents a series of politically achievable steps that will make real improvements to our immigration system."

Each bill included in the package attempts to repair border security and maintain interior enforcement - i.e., punishing states issuing driver's licenses to illegal aliens by withholding 10 percent of their federal highway funding.

The package addresses a wide spectrum of immigration topics, including completing 700 miles of border fence, establishing English as the national language, instituting tougher workplace enforcement rules, stripping local police agencies of funding if they support "sanctuary cities" and establishing mandatory minimum sentences for illegal entry.

In the days leading up to Super Tuesday, Mr. Sessions approached the GOP candidates to sign a pledge promising to secure the border. Mike Huckabee signed it, but Mr. McCain did not. Mr. McCain has not directly commented on the legislative package.

There is no indication Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) plans to hold a vote on the measures. There is still a chance, however, the bills could be attached as amendments to an upcoming budget bill, hence forcing Mr. McCain to take a stand on the issue or dodge the vote altogether.

At least one Democrat, though, is making sure Mr. McCain is not off the hook.

"I am calling on Sen. McCain, as his party's presumptive nominee, to reject this draconian approach to immigration reform, which would demonize the Latino community," stated Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.). "As a past sponsor of comprehensive immigration reform who has since said he would have voted against his own bill, it is important for Sen. McCain to define his position on this cynical Republican effort."

Link

I believe that Senator McCain's Anti-American imigration stance and record is going to hurt him in the general election. I believe that it is simply another proof that Senator McCain, despite his military record, really does not have the America First mentality that is necessary to be a Conservative or to deserve election to ANY public office here in the United States.

Disagreeing with your parties' nominees' position on some issues is called independent thought.

Feel free to join us. :)

Boy...you sure got me...:cry:

maybe I'll throw a temper tantrum like a little girl? Oh, wait that is your schtick...:silly:

FYI:

1. I am against universal healthcare

2. I am pro 2nd Amendment

3. I am anti-illegal immigration/amnesty

Good thing you're around to judge independent thought....:laugh:

:cheers:

What they're doing now is having a lot more than success than the press is letting on. Why would that be? If they're liberal shouldn't they be espousing the successes since they argue against the wall. Numbers are WAY down in every BP sector.

http://www.lcsun-news.com/news/ci_8498274

EL PASO — The Border Patrol on Monday will expand its "zero-tolerance" approach, which consists of jailing and prosecuting undocumented immigrants, all the way to the Santa Teresa port of entry, agency officials said.

Last month, the Border Patrol started a controversial program called "No Pass," in which every undocumented immigrant caught crossing the border between Mount Cristo Rey and the Paso del Norte Bridge in Downtown El Paso is jailed and prosecuted.

Border Patrol officials said a similar operation called "Lockdown" has existed without publicity since December between Mount Cristo Rey and Sunland Park.

"Lockdown" is the program that will be expanded to the Santa Teresa port of entry Monday, Border Patrol spokesman Ramiro Cordero said.

"Since 'No Pass' has been such a success — there has been a 78 percent drop in apprehensions — we decided to expand 'Lockdown' to the Santa Teresa port of entry," Cordero said.

maybe I'll throw a temper tantrum like a little girl? Oh, wait that is your schtick...:silly:

FYI:

Yeehaw!

Now show me where I said otherwise.

Wait, nope. That would require dealing in fact....Yeah....Nevermind, I'll go ask someone who can actually do that. :cheers:

Disagreeing with your parties' nominees' position on some issues is called independent thought.

I would call McCain's stance independant thought. His party largely feels different about illegal immigration than he does. Seems to me you are just following suit with the Republican party.

I would call McCain's stance independant thought. His party largely feels different about illegal immigration than he does. Seems to me you are just following suit with the Republican party.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I just happen to like lower health-care costs, less crime, higher paying jobs, and people who pay their taxes. If my opinion happens to coincide with the group, it doesn't necessarily equate to group-think. :2cents:

You're entitled to your opinion.

I just happen to like lower health-care costs, less crime, higher paying jobs, and people who pay their taxes. If my opinion happens to coincide with the group, it doesn't necessarily equate to group-think. :2cents:

Don't get me wrong, I'm anti-illegal-immigration myself. I just don't agree with the McCain bashing coming from the right. I wasn't trying to single you out, but your quote was most suitable for the point I wanted to make. McCain may be the best thing the Republican party has going for it if they want to lessen the anti-conservative sentiment that has occured since Bush was re-elected. McCain to me, much like Obama, could prove to be a uniter serving for progress and advancement in this country.

Now, before you conclude that I'm just another Democrat. I consider myself niether, I don't like the unwillingness of either party to work with each other. What purpose does that serve other than to waste the money we pay to the government for their service? I feel like both McCain and Obama would be uniters, rather than dividers (unlike Bush) who would not necessaraly fall in line with their party thus preventing positive change. Personally I like McCain, I think Republicans are rediculous if they didn't see this coming. Throughout the primaries the far right were attacking McCain (see, Ann Coulter) at every turn. Now McCain is their nominee, if they can't somehow get it together they will have no chance at the general election.

I think the primaries did plenty to prove the Ann Coulters of the nation wrong. This country doesn't want another polarizing figure to lead it. They want a candidate that will lead them to positive change, someone who can work with anyone. The way I see it is the McCain bashing from the right does a huge disservice to the possibilty of his presidency. Those people may not want McCain as president, that is fine. Those people will also cry bloody murder if Hillary Clinton or Barak Hussein Obama are elected. Not good. Just not good.

Me thinks Cavalerman has a hard-on for McCain.

Just a really bad case of confusion and sore knees.

FYI:

Yeehaw!

Now show me where I said otherwise.

Wait, nope. That would require dealing in fact....Yeah....Nevermind, I'll go ask someone who can actually do that. :cheers:

I guess this link to McSame's website is short on facts eh? (link)

You are so busy trying to get at me that you cannot deal with the topic at hand. :laugh:

That job with McSame is waiting for you whenever you want to stop working the graveyard shift and get a real job.:snore:

That's one of my BIG dislikes about McCain. He Says all the right things now to which I believe is correct, but in the past he has been against those things he is supporting now and who knows what will happen once elected.

This has nothing to do with Anti-latino. It has to do with millions of people who are breaking our laws and our government is letting them by not enforcing our laws!!!

I dare anyone to oppose securing our borders and not allowing anymore illegals come into our country as wrong.

To making those here, get in line to do things the right way. To enforce the laws that we ALREADY have in place and just need to be put into practice as wrong.

To making these law breakers become citizens who pay taxes, learn our language and assimilate into out culture like every immigrant before them as wrong.

It doesn't appear, on the surface, that McCain wants to do those things, but he says he will, so we'll see.

It doesn't appear, on the surface, that McCain wants to do those things, but he says he will, so we'll see.

The only way any of them will enforce the border is if we continue to force them to,McCain simply is acknowledging the people have spoken.

You guys are ignoring that it is being fixed. They are doing high intensity crack downs. I think the enforcement part is being handled very nicely. They need to keep the ball rolling but I gotta ask, what would it take for you guys to think the border is secure? Just curious.

I'm waiting to see if any of these tools will deal with reforming the law.

Archived