Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I hate Ticketmaster

Blackest Eyes

Basically, I despise the company that is Ticketmaster.

They are scam artists at the corporate level. I have had a beef with them for quite some time now. First happened when Dream Theater was coming around here this past summer and I ordered tickets, 3rd row center seats, for like $45 bucks or something. The show was in Baltimore and I was going to take my girlfriend becuase she likes them and it was near our anniversary so i thought a day in the harbor would be nice. So I continue through the process of checking out, and the ****s keep adding ridiculous charges. My favorite one is where you, the customer, has to pay $4.75 per ticket to print your own tickets with your own ink on your own computer. Jerks! so I continue and end up spending close to $120 on two concert tickets for Dream Theater all thanks to ridiculous service charges. Well, I get a call a few weeks after I ordered my tickets and my credit card was charged and they told me that they were not supposed to sell me those tickets because they were for the people who bought the (ridiculously overpriced) meet & greet package. So I had two options...not go to the show or they could move my seats. So I asked where my seats were. All the way on the side of the stage about 20 rows back. I promptly told them to give me my money back. Ruined my plans for a nice day but whatever.

So now Dream Theater is coming around again with Opeth (probably my favorite band). Tickets are $44 freaking dollars. So for two tickets, and service charges for my convenience, it will cost around $107. what the crap. I do not understand how $44x2 = $107.

Sadly, Ticketmaster will never go away. I always try to buy tickets from the venues from now on if possible to avoid Ticket**** and their ridiculous charges.

Anyone else have a bad experience with them or hate them as well?

I used to have to work an archaic Ticketmaster machine in the 90's before the internet completely took that over. On Saturdays people would be lined outside the music store I worked at waiting for tickets for whatever event that would be going on-sale. It sucked. Occasionally people would have the audacity to ask "Why don't you open the store early so we can get our tickets?!" The respone we would give with a was "Potomac Mills stores open at a certain time and we would be fined if we opened early". Which was true but infuriated all in line :D .

Everyone would be rude and try to get tickets that were either sold out or past thier price range. Fools would ask if we could hold tickets so they could go to the ATM. Not even possible, and parents would cop an attitude when they couldn't get thier little **** kids the tickets they were whining over.

One day the store had a meeting and came up with the conclusion that we no longer needed to be Ticketmaster's *****. The store only made about 60 cents per ticket (I'm not sure on the exact amount but I know it was less than $1) and Ticketmaster was hording all of the service fees. It also was apparent that shoplifting went up around those times as there were less people on the floor to be observant. So out went the machine. The result: no more tickets were sold at Potomac Mills AT ALL.

We weren't completely heartless, there was a sign posted for a couple of months in the front window that we no longer were a Ticketmaster distributor. Did that help? Hell no. Almost every Saturday there would be the impacient line waiting and we would simply state "We no longer represent Ticketmaster" which would always lead to the question "Where are we supposed to get tickets?!!!" Kemp Mills Music in Springfield carried it for a little longer after we got rid of it but they figured it out too. The machine was supposed to attract buisiness but rarely anyone would stay and buy any music. Combining the shoplifting, it was actually a liability.

I loved saying "Somewhere else" after Kemp Mill got rid of there machine. Obviously somewhere around the same time the Internet really started to boom and the rest is history.

So yeah I hate ticketmaster also. Just for different reasons. That title took me way back.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't it cheaper to have them send your tickets regular mail, than email them to you ?

Yeah, it is free for them to mail them. Which, I dislike doing becuase it says you should receive them no less than 2 weeks before the show, but I have heard horror stories from friends. Kind of strange that mail is free but email, which is free to everyone for the most part, is charged. Oh well.

Tell me about it. Last year, you could order Capitals tickets direct from the Capitals website and not have any service charges at all. Then Ticketmaster took over everything and you now pay $10 per ticket for for the more expensive tickets (basically anything $35 and up, I think) I want to know what "service" I am being charged for that I couldn't get last year, when I didn't have to pay the extortion fee to Ticketmaster.

Oh, and on top of that, I thought I could avoid the extortion charges by getting tickets from Kettler. Nope. I guess you have to go downtown to Verizon if you want to avoid being ****** by Ticket****.

Sorry to hear how Ticket Master screwed you, Blackest Eyes.

This happened to me back in 1980.

Molly Hatchet was coming to the Capital Center (was later renamed US Air Arena) in Largo and a friend and I wanted to see them with our girlfriends.

We camped out the night before the tickets went on sale at the Ticket Master outlet at Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, MD because we knew we could get our 4 tickets on the floor.

We are like 5th in line.

They open the ticket office and we all get in line at the ticket window inside the mall. Everything is going smoothly and the guy in front of us just got 5th row on the floor when he handed the lady at the window a $100 dollar bill. Mind you that back then the tickets were going for a think $8.50. So the lady said to the guy, “I don’t have change for a 100. I have to get it from the cashier.” The cashier was about 10 feet from where she was. She walked over and asked for change and just took her sweet ole time doing it, all long while my friend and I and everyone else in line were yelling at her to hurry up.

She finally makes it back over to her window and gives the change back to the guy. He walks away from the window to stares that could KILL from everyone.

We order our tickets and we get row 22 on the floor, instead of maybe 6th or 7th row.

Boy, we were pissed at both the lady at Ticket Master and that dumb ***** that had the $100.

It seems no one likes Ticketmaster. I really wish there is something that could be done that would really have some sort of an effect on them aside from buying straight from the venue. A band in the 90's tried to sue them or something, I think it was Pearl Jam. They failed horribly, ha.

It seems no one likes Ticketmaster. I really wish there is something that could be done that would really have some sort of an effect on them aside from buying straight from the venue. A band in the 90's tried to sue them or something, I think it was Pearl Jam. They failed horribly, ha.

it was pearl jam, and i believe they didnt sue ticketmaster, they just didnt do business with them, refusing to sell tickets to their concerts through ticketmaster.

it was pearl jam, and i believe they didnt sue ticketmaster, they just didnt do business with them, refusing to sell tickets to their concerts through ticketmaster.

Makes me wanna go to a Pearl Jam concert.

I just hate ticketmaster so freakin much.

Especially when you have to put in that stupid code that you can't tell is all caps or not then you get it wrong a couple times. Then on the third time you get it, only to find out that the tickets are sold out for a certain price range. Would have been nice to ****ing know before I played your stupid guess the word game.

No, they tried to do that but since Ticket**** has agreements with all the venues they couldn't pull it off and eventually gave in. Testified before the Senate, but of course the Republicans are going to do absolutely nothing about that. I remember Eddie Vedder laughing when he was sworn in. They tried to form up with other musicians to boycott them, but couldn't get enough support.

No, they tried to do that but since Ticket**** has agreements with all the venues they couldn't pull it off and eventually gave in. Testified before the Senate, but of course the Republicans are going to do absolutely nothing about that. I remember Eddie Vedder laughing when he was sworn in. They tried to form up with other musicians to boycott them, but couldn't get enough support.

i stand corrected. well, at least they had the balls to give it a shot.

Archived