Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The iPhone just got serious.

Mad Mike

For those of you with iPhones or thinking about getting one. Or if you are just a tech geek. :-)

Apple just released the SDK. Look for the iPhone application store to open in June. Also, full exchange support is coming and a host of features aimed at enterprise. And for gaming people, SEGA demoed some stuff that they threw together in two weeks. Evidently the iPhone is going to be a kick ass little gaming platform as well. :cheers:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

http://www.macworld.com/article/132400/2008/03/iphonesdk.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/132399/2008/03/enterprise.html

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/live-from-apples-iphone-press-conference/

apple-sdk-090.jpg

Call me weird, but I just don't like the touch screen interface. Fingerprints bother me.

OK. You're weird. :D

Seriously though. You don't really notice it. If it does get messy, a quick wipe on the jeans cleans it well. And the big screen that replaces all of those silly physical buttons makes it all worth while. :D

I was reading this yesterday, it's pretty neat. Apple is really starting to step it up with the iPhone, granted it sucks that the Flash Player isn't going to be on there any time soon. But the new SDK + the rumors of 3G support will make the iPhone what it should be.

3G and flash are both said to be battery hogs. They may come in time but I understand the choice not to have them now. And Edge is much better than it is touted to be. One of my co workers with a 3G smartphone and I both pulled up google in the browser at the same time. Not only was my iPhone faster, it showed the real google home page while his blackberry or whatever it was showed a generic looking page that happened to have google search. And WiFi support on the iPhone ROCKS. (also coming... VOIP on WiFi)

Things still on my wishlist. Video - the hardware will do it, someone just needs to write the code (actually someone already did for the hack). And simple little things like the ability to save a picture someone sends you in email to the photo library. Silly for apple to leave that kind of thing out.

i'm perplexed that people use those things. all those microwaves and electronics next to your faculties? i don't want someone to be able to reach me everywhere i go. i'm a gentleman who enjoys solitude.

Morse code FTW. Although streaming video via morse code gets a bit laggy.

Does it have voice dialing ?

To me it seems like a waste for 95% of the people I know that have them.

No. I guess that needs to go on the wish list but I never used that feature even on the phones I've had that had it.

Owning a Mac indicates more than a love for shiny eye-candy tech and simple user interfaces.

Mac owners are more likely than the rest of the population to be individualistic, competitive, and smug. So says a survey of 7,500 respondents by Mindset Media.

Those who claimed a Mac as their primary computer were found to be “more liberal, less modest, and more assured of their superiority than the population at large.”

Survey respondents who are highly open-minded (Mindset media calls them “Openness 5’s”) are those who “seek rich, varied and novel experiences, believing that life and intellectual curiosity contribute to a life well-lived.” These Openness 5’s are also 60 percent more likely to own a Mac.

Mac owners scored low on “dogmatism,” which (among other things) means they “disdain so-called moral authorities, especially the conservative kind.” (Great news for managers.) Mac owners are also competitive and precise, says the study, and think themselves “exceptional” people.

That association of Mac as tool for the free-spirited, smug, creative individualist is backed by the Mac vs. PC commercials. Wrote John Martellaro in the MacObserver blog (long before the Mindset Media study was published):

Justin Long (the Mac), by his jeans and T-shirt, represents a machine that promotes freedom and freedom of expression. He also represents a computer designed for people full of enthusiasm and creativity. The suggestion is that using such a computer leads to the holy grail of computer life: self-respect, self-confidence, and self-realization.

John Hodgman (the PC), by his clothing, represents a machine associated with corporate repression and routine. The suit coat reminds us not of individuals who wear them but of the corporation that tells us what computer we're allowed to have on our desk and says ‘Don't think for yourself and don't use your tools with passion. Just get to work!’

I checked in via email with Web 2.0 guru and blogger Stowe Boyd to find out if he has a Mac and to hear his thoughts on the Media Mindset study and the “Mac personality.” (If you’ve ever met him, you know the traits mentioned in the study--individualistic, confident, etc.—describe him to a T.)

As expected, he does have a Mac and plenty of Apple gear. Considering himself an “elegance bigot,” like (David Pogue who said more or less, "Bring on something with a better design, and I will switch") and an “Openness 5,” Stowe wrote:

Management would be well-served to have these sort of creatives in their companies, but many companies cannot hold them, because the corporate life is often...designed to stifle curiosity.

Instead, he believes in organizations "where workers decide who to work with, how to execute broad charters, and basically pitch central management (as opposed to 'upper' management) for funding instead of having a 'job.'" In his view, organizations will have to become marketplaces to actually hold onto Openness 5 (aka, Mac-using, creative) types.

And why would you want to hold onto people who disdain authority and think themselves superior?

One thought is this: Their tendency to "be conceited or arrogant" may be balanced by their creativity and highly perfectionistic nature.

And at least you know they have good taste.

What do you think?

Diann Daniel

CIO.com

Do you really need all that on your PHONE? Seriously?

I do. :laugh:

Seriously. While I was in the hospital last week It was cool to have a large chunk of my life with me in my pocket. I was IMing from the operating room in the cath lab keeping people up to date and keeping myself sane. I had my music and my web pages. Hell, I was reading Extremeskins. :D

I pay 100 bucks a month for basically unlimited minutes. The 2 times a month that I use the internet on my phone only costs a few bucks. I have Sirius in my cars, I have XM in the house, I have tons of CDs and music available online. I just dont see the need.

I paid 50 bucks for my current cellphone. It can do pretty much everything that the iPhone can do. I have "real" internet at home and it's all I need.

Like I stated before it just seems like a waste.

Call me weird, but I just don't like the touch screen interface. Fingerprints bother me.

agreed. I have the cingular 8525 which is a PDa phone with a full keyboard and touch screen and I rarely touch the screen with my fingers. I use the stylus. But if I had to use my fingers, I have a screen protector so I can just wipe them off afterwards. lol

I'm in the same boat about the touchscreens. They just don't seem right to me. We used touchscreen laptops at my old job--I never touched the screen. They always seemed a bit inaccurate to use with a finger and I cannot STAND having smudges on my screen.

I'm sure the iPhone is better (perhaps with bigger buttons) for hand use than a touchscreen computer. I've only held an iPhone to see a picture--not to play with the interface. I think touchscreens are the way of the future (definitely not long term however), but to really push the issue it will require the computer industry to reinvent perhaps the most widely-used tool in the world--the mechanical keyboard, still used today and carries nearly the same design as the original typewriters of the 1800s :doh:.

Wake me up when they release a 3G version. EDGE won't do simultaneous voice and data, so while you're surfing Extremeskins with EDGE, calls go straight to voicemail. I bet they announce a 3G version in June when they release the sdk.

Bull****

The call comes through and you can answer it or not. If you answer it, the browser connection stops until you are done. If you are in a wifi hotspot (which the phone automatically detects and logs into if allowed) you can answer the phone, surf the web, type an email and send it at the same time.

Man, it drives me crazy to here people talk about things when they have no clue. :doh:

Archived