Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sign Takeo Spikes?

freestyln

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

[/url]

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80711bb0&template=with-video&confirm=true

Eagles release veteran linebacker Spikes

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes was released by the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday, the second high-profile player cut by the Eagles in a week.

SPI270805.jpgTakeo Spikes, LB

Height: 6-2

Weight: 242

College: Auburn

Experience: 10

» 2008 free agent tracker

» Around The Web: free agent news

Defensive end Jevon Kearse was released last Thursday after four seasons in Philadelphia. Releasing Spikes saves the Eagles $5 million under the salary cap.

Spikes finished second on the team with 139 tackles in his only season with the Eagles. The 10-year veteran missed the final two games after having shoulder surgery in December.

The 31-year-old Spikes was acquired in a trade with Buffalo last March. Known for being a playmaker throughout his career, Spikes had no interceptions or forced fumbles in Philly.

The move likely means second-year pro Stewart Bradley will take over as the starting middle linebacker, while Omar Gaither moves to the weakside spot to replace Spikes. Chris Gocong is the strongside linebacker, giving the Eagles a young group of starters. Akeem Jordan is fourth on the depth chart.

"Takeo did a really good job for us last year," Eagles coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "But we are excited about the young linebackers that have developed over the last year. We wish Takeo all the best. He's a true team player on and off the field."

A first-round pick by Cincinnati in 1998, Spikes had at least 100 tackles in each of his five seasons with the Bengals. But it wasn't until he went to Buffalo in 2003 that he got widespread recognition. Spikes had 144 tackles in '03 and 111 tackles with five interceptions in '04, making the Pro Bowl both years.

Injuries slowed Spikes in 2005 and 2006.

The Eagles have focused on improving their defense in the offseason. Philadelphia signed All-Pro cornerback Asante Samuel when the NFL's free-agency period opened last Friday, luring him away from New England with a six-year deal worth $57 million. A day later, they signed defensive end Chris Clemons.

The team made a run at All-Pro wide receiver Randy Moss earlier this week, offering more money than he got to return to the Patriots. If the Eagles end up satisfying Donovan McNabb's request for an offensive playmaker, it'll probably have to come through a trade. The addition of Samuel makes two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Lito Sheppard expendable, so he can be used as trade bait for a top receiver.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Past that line of heads, or tacklers? :laugh::laugh:
When we played the Iggles at home week 2 last year, Sunday Night Football had one player announce the entire team. Takeo Spikes comes on the screen bouncing his head to and fro running through the names. Our family laughed at his ginormous head taking up most of the screen.:laugh:

Past that line of heads, or tacklers? :laugh::laugh:

Fletch or Rocky doesnt have big heads, but TKO's head is big enough for all the linebacker corps.. I remember when he was promoting himself before the eagles got him, he was weraing them TKO shirts with **** on the back of it talking about how good he was. The bengals will resign him prob, they let Lemar Marshall Go and I kinda would rather Have marshall back for Vet min + incentives as a backup cus hes so versatile in all the positions

Fletch or Rocky doesnt have big heads, but TKO's head is big enough for all the linebacker corps.. I remember when he was promoting himself before the eagles got him, he was weraing them TKO shirts with **** on the back of it talking about how good he was. The bengals will resign him prob, they let Lemar Marshall Go and I kinda would rather Have marshall back for Vet min + incentives as a backup cus hes so versatile in all the positions

Well Rocky's isn't big. But London has a bit of a nogen on him, I think.

Well Rocky's isn't big. But London has a bit of a nogen on him, I think.
That has to be one of my favorite players, London. If you've ever met the man in person, he isn't so big. He's a little guy to be such a dominating tackler. The man has a lot of guts and is a true character off the field. He's one of the few who will actually come over to us fans to give us his last minute of the day.

I'm glad he's on our side.

Archived