Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato on Redskins Lunch -- Reading Between the lines

Skinsinparadise

Cerrato said:

Interested in best player available at 21. Among DB, OL, WR, DL.

Seemed interested in trading back -- I am guessing because he implied the draft is deep in the 2nd and 3rd round with the postions the Skins want.

Said WR is good in the 2nd and 3rd round -- no obvious 1st round top 20 WR

CB - 2nd round looks good

OT is deep

DL is deep

Looking to add depth late round for LB & safety (though he says its not a great draft for LB.

Listening to him my best educated guess is:

If a stud player falls to 21 in a need position they will grab them otherwise if they find a trading partner they will trade down considering they like the 2nd and third rounds for DL, O line and WR.

Another guess, it doesn't seem like they are overly excited about WR at 21. When Larry mentioned going for a WR is the first round, then DLine in the 2nd and O line in the third -- Vinny said sounds good but not per se in that order.

Of course to some degree Vinny has to blow some smoke here, but it makes sense intuitively. If he's blowing smoke I would gather he is hiding the fact that they are really jazzed about a particular WR dropping to 21 and pretending otherwise.

He gave some interesting info..

1) I don't think we're drafting a receiver in the first round....he mentioned the value is in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

2) when asked what positions w're looking at, he always mentions OL first.

3) He said there was good depth at corner and DE

4) He mentioned trading down late into the first round, early 2nd round....it's going to be easier trading down from the 21st pick then a top 10 pick because of the salaries the top 10 picks get.

bottom line...I think if we stay at #21; we're going to draft branden albert...if he's gone, we'll look at calais campbell or kentwan balmer.....but it sounded like vinny really liked this draft starting from late in the first round into the 3rd rd.

getting a 3rd rd compensatory pick would be huge.

This draft has tons of good players between the 2nd and 5th rounds

Looking at mock drafts, I don't see a huge difference between the number 21 guy and the number 41 guy.

Moving to the top of the 2nd round and picking up a few more picks is the best course of action

I agree, i've been hoping for this as well.

This draft has tons of good players between the 2nd and 5th rounds

Looking at mock drafts, I don't see a huge difference between the number 21 guy and the number 41 guy.

Moving to the top of the 2nd round and picking up a few more picks is the best course of action

I agree, only problem is if its obvious then other teams I am sure are thinking the same thing so it might not be that easy to trade down, but I'd love it if we could.

I am a believer of the BPA thinking so I like what he has to say. As a matter of fact I have said as such. Grab the BPA among Dline or Oline at 21. No need to grab a WR prior to the second round. The second pick could be BPA again but include CB and WR to the lines.

Always hard to read FO people at this time of the year. By advising he may even trade the pick covers all the bases.

I wouldn't take much that he says at face value. Most of what he and pretty much every team will be saying up until draft day will be at least partially a smoke screen. Obviously we have certain needs, but Vinnie isn't going to basically tell other teams what we're going to do on draft day.

I got the same impression. In fact, reading between the lines like you, I got the sense he was looking at OL first then DL second in Round 1. Definitely sounded like they would wait until the second round for a WR though.

Like you said, he's got to blow some smoke, but what the hell, without any free agency news, we have to have something to do!

Hail,

H

He gave some interesting info..

1) I don't think we're drafting a receiver in the first round....he mentioned the value is in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

2) when asked what positions w're looking at, he always mentions OL first.

3) He said there was good depth at corner and DE

4) He mentioned trading down late into the first round, early 2nd round....it's going to be easier trading down from the 21st pick then a top 10 pick because of the salaries the top 10 picks get.

bottom line...I think if we stay at #21; we're going to draft branden albert...if he's gone, we'll look at calais campbell or kentwan balmer.....but it sounded like vinny really liked this draft starting from late in the first round into the 3rd rd.

getting a 3rd rd compensatory pick would be huge.

My things aboout O-line is we just cant just draft 1 o-lineman. You not get Multiple Lineman on offense if we need to draft. We also need a Safety and DE.

If we trade down i would like to get 2 first rounders for our 21st pick. 3 picks in the second round would be pretty good

I agree, after watching the combine, i was not really impressed with the WRs.. there were some fast guys but they just didn't look polished in their routes.. plus we have not been really good at draft WRs ( D howard, gardner, westbrook, jacobs, the really fast guy that hurt his ACL (clifford?))... they maybe good value in 2nd or 3rd rounds same with DBs... BPA (DL,OL)..

Let's draft 21 in honor of Sean and not trade it!!!

How would drafting a player in the draft at the number 21 spot ACTUALLY honor Sean taylor?

I am sad to see him gone but I feel the 21 at the pro bowl as the best thing they could have done for him, in addition to all of the other things already done. It is time to let Sean RIP.

My things aboout O-line is we just cant just draft 1 o-lineman. You not get Multiple Lineman on offense if we need to draft. We also need a Safety and DE.

If we trade down i would like to get 2 first rounders for our 21st pick. 3 picks in the second round would be pretty good

I don't think we can get 2 1st round picks for our #21. More than likely you get a lower 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick or a 2nd and 3rd rounder for our #21. It all depends on how desperate a team is for our pick if a particular player they want is there.

Actions speak louder than words.

For some reason I think Vinny is going to do something we don't agree with come draft day.

trade back to get another 2nd, trade that 2nd and a 3rd (hopefully the comp pick) and get OCHO CINCO...

I got the same impression. In fact, reading between the lines like you, I got the sense he was looking at OL first then DL second in Round 1. Definitely sounded like they would wait until the second round for a WR though.

Like you said, he's got to blow some smoke, but what the hell, without any free agency news, we have to have something to do!

Hail,

H

I am with you there, doesn't hurt to talk about this stuff from an entertainment value stand point.

My guess is first round: CB

2nd: DL

3rd: WR

compensatory pick late 3rd: OT or OG

5th: OG or safety

6th QB or LB

7th: LB

Having said that he has now said multiple times about drafting TWO d lineman as opposed to just one so that seems a possibility, too

I don't think we can get 2 1st round picks for our #21. More than likely you get a lower 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick or a 2nd and 3rd rounder for our #21. It all depends on how desperate a team is for our pick if a particular player they want is there.

True dat but another 2nd would be ideal but a 3rd might make us have three if we get that compensatory one and then get 2 OL and a DL or some variety.

I hope Vinny is keeping the hand close to the chest. Sometimes I think this organization can get caught up in the media frenzy and divulge too much. Maybe the front office has improved their poker face.

Not sure about that, considering during the last draft as it got closer it seemed to get out Landry was their top choice. They did say they'd like to trade back -- and tried but they said they got no suitors.

I recall the name Jason Campbell leaking right before the draft, etc.

Having said that, at 21 its really impossible to zero in and say this is the player I am drafting but of course if they fall in love with a player that could leak.

Archived