Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Vietnam War movie?

abdcskins

I have become increasingly interested in the Vietnam War(what a catastrophe, what were we thinking?). I watched The Deer Hunter the other night and loved it. I think it did a great job showing the moral/psychological effects of the war on the soliders and their families. It explored the meaning of honor and friendship. Anyways, what is your favorite Vietnam War movie, and why? If you wanna recommend a book that would be cool too.

Boy, that's tough. I liked Platoon. Many of my Dad's friends from Nam said it was pretty close to real. Apocalypse now was good as well. Who can forget the 1st Air Cavalry coming in to the sound of Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries"? Or the quote "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Also, in the same vein as Platoon, I'd say Casualties of War with Michael J Fox and Sean Penn was pretty outstanding. So sad though.

But the favorite? IMHO, the Green Berets w/ John Wayne.

The first half of Full Metal Jacket is the best 'Nam War movie. The rest of the movie I could do without.

The best, most complete 'Nam movie is Apocalypse Now Redeux without a question and by a landslide over the full FMJ and Platoon, et. al. by a great distance.

The first half of Full Metal Jacket is the best 'Nam War movie. The rest of the movie I could do without.

The best, most complete 'Nam movie is Apocalypse Now Redeux without a question and by a landslide over the full FMJ and Platoon, Thin Red Line, etc by a great distance.

Thin Red Line was about WWII in the Pacific. :2cents:

Yeah, the general public consensus seems to be Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, or Platoon, for good reason. I love all those films. I'd probably take Apocalypse Now because of the cinematography, story, and overall symbolism. I love how the whole trip is sort of a continued journey into the darkness of the human soul. It vividly depicts the insanity of the war and the destruction of morals. Coppola clearly shows the death and destruction that result directly from U.S. involvement, like killing innocent civilians. American hypocrisy and imperialsim at its worst. I've heard Platoon is the most realistic.

There are a lot of other movies though that I haven't seen that I heard are good(Coming Home, Hamburger Hill, Born on the Fourth of July). I'll check out The Green Berets, Zguy.

Platoon is excellent, Apocolypse now is as well, but it's less about the war,, the war is more the backdrop for the story.

The Killing Fields is about Cambodia, and is excellent.

Go Tell the Spartans is a good movie about the early part of the war

the Green Berets is a classic, but in viewing it now it is obviously a very transparent propaganda film meant to portray our involvement as positively as possible.

~Bang

well it really depends on what your looking for. Having served in the military and my father serving 2 tours in vietnam I can tell you that full metal jacket, platoon and we were soldiers are not an accurate depiction. Your best bet is to watch the military channels documentary on the war. However if your looking for sheer entertainment -

Hamburger Hill.

Apocalypse Now was the best movie about Vietnam, but it really wasn't a Vietnam movie.

Platoon wins this argument for me, with Hamburger Hill, the Deer Hunter close seconds.

FMJ is best during boot camp so that's why that isn't recommended for straight Vietnam.

the Green Berets is a classic, but in viewing it now it is obviously a very transparent propaganda film meant to portray our involvement as positively as possible.

~Bang

I think though that during the time it depicts our involvement was a positive thing. When we only had advisors "in country." :2cents:

You should read the book by Robin Moore. Its thousand times better than the movie.

Another good one is "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson and also Bat21 with Gene Hackman.

Platoon is excellent, Apocolypse now is as well, but it's less about the war,, the war is more the backdrop for the story.

The Killing Fields is about Cambodia, and is excellent.

Go Tell the Spartans is a good movie about the early part of the war

~Bang

The sad thing is if the President and Congress had let the generals fight that war it would have been over in 3 years and we would have walked out victorious and half the baggage veterans have wouldnt be so

The sad thing is if the President and Congress had let the generals fight that war it would have been over in 3 years and we would have walked out victorious and half the baggage veterans have wouldnt be so
I am less inclined to believe this now that we have seen what is going on in Iraq.

I think we could've defeated the North Vietnamese army relatively quickly if we moved quickly with a large force.

...I think we would have spent the next decade trying to protect the Republic of Vietnam from the insurgent attacks of the Viet Cong. China would have supported them. Who knows what would have happened in Cambodia and Laos.

It would have been a lot fewer lives lost, but I think the baggage would still be the same.

Archived