Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Firewire/USB question

PeterMP

I have a device that is firewire dependent, but no computer with a card. A little reading seems to suggest you can get a hub with both types, but it isn't clear to me if they will allow me to plug my device into the hub, and then the hub to the computer so that it will see the device.

Any suggestions (other than buy a new computer or a new card (not my computer officially so not allowed to do things like that to it))?

At Best buy you can get a card that is easily installed in the back of your computer. 2 screws and a firm push and that's it. I had to do it for my computer to get my video camera to download. The USB connection didn't allow for good video. seemed everything i did thru my USB port was grainy, whereas thru the firewire it's not.

Sorry,, i saw you wrote that this isn't the advice you wanted.. but, it's what I've got. :)

~Bang

Yes, most of these dual personality hubs will hook up just fine and show up as a device as the conversion is actually done in the hub and not your computer. Check cablestogo.com for some options there as they usually have quite a few options and pretty good prices. newegg.com and mwave.com are other good online vendors with pretty reasonable prices.

Just go to NewEgg.com and order a PCI Firewire card. It's a 5-10 minute job to install it.

USB sucks. Yes, it's the best option for printers, flash drives, and fun toys but Firewire is the best option for external hard drives (well, maybe eSATA there but Firewire is more common) and digital video.

Archived