Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Laptop question?

daviddsims

Hey guys I am looking at getting a laptop to replace my 5 year old home computer. I will have it hooked up with wireless internet. The Apple Macbook has caught my eye with all the great reviews online. I have never used anything Apple before just PC. My main uses will be watching dvds, surfing the net, and storing music and pics. Is the mac worth the extra money and I also hear that they do not have problems with spyware or viruses like pc? It just seems you get alot more for the money with a normal laptop like HP or Dell but the Macs get great reviews. Anyone care to chime in on this? Thanks.

As long as you don't do anything to screw up your laptop, you should be fine with the bugs and all. The PC type laptops will come with a bunch of spyware loaded, so take a few minutes to remove it, simple as that.

The Macs don't have bugs or anything because not as many bugs are viruses are made for macs since there is not as much software for it.

Also, unless you really do want a mobile home computer, just get a desktop. Those things are meant to last longer while turned on. If you don't use the computer much, then you should be fine, but if you want to leave the thing on all day, should get a desktop.

I wouldn't worry so much about spyware and viruses on PCs. You won't have a problem as long as you're smart about what websites you visit, what programs you install, etc. My home PC (WinXP) doesn't even have virus software installed and its been working perfectly for over a year now. Like anything else, if you take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Though I haven't had much too experience with Macs, they are a bit more intuitive to the typical user. But no matter what, I can't get over the pricetag for some of them. Macs are best for music/video editing and whatnot, but if you're just using it for pictures, music and websurfing, you can't really go wrong with either. Personally I'd stick with something more affordable and compatible like a PC. :2cents:

Hey guys I am looking at getting a laptop to replace my 5 year old home computer. I will have it hooked up with wireless internet. The Apple Macbook has caught my eye with all the great reviews online. I have never used anything Apple before just PC. My main uses will be watching dvds, surfing the net, and storing music and pics. Is the mac worth the extra money and I also hear that they do not have problems with spyware or viruses like pc? It just seems you get alot more for the money with a normal laptop like HP or Dell but the Macs get great reviews. Anyone care to chime in on this? Thanks.

I had a Sony Vaio for over a year now. Windows XP no problems.

The only problems with any laptop is they come with small hard drives .

You may want to get an external hard drive if you have lots of music and pics. They really eat up hard drive space.

I switched from PC to Mac last summer and never looked back. I love my MBP and they recently upgraded both lines to have faster processors and more memory. The only glitch I had with my Mac was a problem with iDVD not recognizing my iTunes library, but 10 minutes with tech support solved that problem. I would strongly recommend using a Mac over PC (Vista is garbage and its all you can get now).

If there is an Apple store near you, I would recommend going there and trying them out to see how they feel. I had about a 20 minute learning curve when I bought mine and now it feels alien to me to use a PC.

My personal experience with the last two Dells I've had has been good (Latitude D820 and 640m).

The previous Dell I owned (Inspiron), there were issues with their batteries and power supplies but that seems OK with the more recent models.

On the rare occasion I've needed hotline support it doesn't send me overseas and they've been able to solve my problem quickly ... without asking me to do dumb stuff like re-install Windows. :)

If you just want to do what you described, then I believe a Mac, or at least most models, is a bit of an overkill for its price. You can purchase a laptop for $500 that will do what you desire without having to lay down an extra $500 for a Macintosh laptop.

Additional note, that being said, you can find refurbished G4 Macs for around $600, but I do not know enough about these particular computers to make a judgement.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=macintosh+laptop+&um=1&ie=UTF-8

My advice? Compare and contract models, features, and the prices, as well as articles rating these computers.

Make sure if it's an intel you get a T2350 or higher processor, or AMD a TL-60 or higher

as for ram, 1gb is enough but 2gb will give you a noticeable difference in speed the "first time" you launch a program prior to it caching.

HD size doesn't matter, you'll proly never fill it.....

Brand doesn't matter, any machine built after apr 2004 is built to die after a specified # of hours anyways....

Majority of the laptop LCD's are 3.5 years, batteries ( 500 cycles~ 1.5 to 2 years ) and the motherboard capacitors are aluminum ( dies after 30,000 hours of 75 degrees of exposure, hotter means sooner ). All of those repairs can range from 200-800 bucks so make sure wherever you buy it from they have an in store tech to pawn off your issues onto.

As for macs, no bugs is easy, but what about the planned obsolescence? Now that comp usa is outta business MAC techs are few and far between and you are forced to pay the "mac store" prices.....ACK!!! and contrary to popular belief macs DO build their machines to die just like pcs, the new thin mac book is a wonderful example......ZERO I/O- take fans....

As for the prior post regarding built in tracing devices and adware already on the machine *sigh* yep, that's $39 to remove them most places.....

just get it done even if ya think ya know how........any good tech has the registry keys memorized by now......it isn't as simple as msconfig and add/rem prgrms.

After that buy an antivirus, a 3rd party firewall and an anti-malware software.....don't pay for install, just put them in yourself and update them.

You shouldn't pay more than $699 unless you really want performance. The service plan shouldn't be more than $149 unless ya want accidental coverage. The cleaning is about $39 and make sure to make the recovery disc after the cleaning too. If you don't know how, it'll run ya prolly $29-39 for the tech to burn it for ya.

The programs are going to be the most controversial topic of the thread because the things stated above are common sense.

for the 3 threats online ( viruses, people & spyware ) I personally have 144 programs and removal tools but the ones I recommended on a daily bases are the ones with the largest databases.

I don't believe in paying for something that acknowledges that they aren't better than the next guy.

For AV & 3rd party firewalls I suggest Norton.

For Spyware, webroot & spyware DR

After that, there is a drop off in detection size.

AV's and FW's conflict so obviously one is the max however antispyware's don't so pile them on....

-----

Next down the line ( in no order ) would be:

AVG's EWIDO

Spybot

Adaware se

counter spy*

CA*

Super Antispyware

*pay programs

Pile as many on as your machine can handle since no one program can find everything.......

oh and one last thing, consumer reports suck.....

Don't place faith in those magz and org's that test antivirus and spyware programs.....they are all so bogus......the majority company's database they use to create the list of bugs to find is ALWAYS the one that wins.

I've been doing this for a minute now and it's gonna take more than bold print and caps to convince me anyone is better than norton and webroot standalone. I need some data to back it up if people wanna debate and hijack.

oh and when ya DO get it.....post a thread on HOW to edit your host file and do a pipeline expansion ( well worth it )

hope that helps.....

later :cheers:

So it's replacing your old desktop? The Macbook is 13 inches so you should see if the size agrees with what you want. The most popular notbooks are 15 since the screen isn't too small or big and gives you some portability. If you want a MAC with a bigger screen then the price jumps to 2000. Also if you want a Macbook that can burn DVDs it's 1300. I wouldn't get one personally. I can deal with the size but I can't deal with the value especially since you can get more for less money. Unless you really want the Apple operating system (OSX) and can justify that cost. They don't have the same issues with spyware and viruses but if you are semi knowledgable you wouldnt have those problems on Windows. Also MACs are just like PCs when it comes to hardware. Don't believe the hype if someone says Macs never fail.

Here's a good site for people researching notebooks

http://notebookreview.com/

I switched from PC to Mac last summer and never looked back.

I jumped on the Mac bandwagon last fall.

I've been an iPod owner for 3 years and loved that... and a friend of mine had a Macbook, and I was so impressed with it, that I ditched my PC and bought one. I love it. I'll be an Apple supporter for life. They are definitely an amazing company.

I have been looking at all of them and really just wish I had a place to try one out. There is no best buy close or apple store. They get great reviews online so they must be pretty good but they are pricey. I kind of like the idea of a 13 inch screen for me also, not too big or bulky. I am really leaning that way toward the Macbook but I guess I am gonna debate for another day or so before I pull the trigger. I just hope I can get used to that OS compared to Windows since I have never used it.

For surfing the Net and stuff, the extra money put into a mac would be a waste (i usually think they're a bit of a waste even if you're looking to do video-editing n' stuff). I'd look into getting a dell notebook as you can get great deals for the hardware. If you wanted a mac because of their virus-proofness (because viruses just aren't written for them), save the money and use linux. the latest version of the Ubuntu-Linux is very beginner freindly and requires very little setting up for the uses you stated (pretty much works out of the box).

Dell even sells machines with Ubuntu preinstalled if you would prefer ubuntu over windows, or you can get a windows machine (a bit more money for the same hardware) and then install ubuntu on as well as windows so you can use either one.

To me, the pc is to the mac what a Taurus is to a Camry. They do the same thing, but its a totally different experience. I love my macbook.

You can do a lot more with a pc, but if you just want a computer to surf the internet and use some basic programs while not having to worry about much I'd say get a mac. I'd get a Mac if I were getting a laptop and stick to PC for desktops.

I'll give you the advice I always give people who ask because it's the advice, until recently, I never heeded: decide, clearly, your expectations of your laptop.

Do you want something ultra portable? That is, will you be carrying it around all over the place? On planes and trains? To friends' houses? To Starbucks and lectures and so forth? If so, get something with a 12"-ish screen, under 5 pounds of weight, and a battery life at least 5 hours (which means, likely, scrapping the fancy, state-of-the-art graphic card).

It shouldn't be too hard to find something that matches and you shouldn't have trouble getting one around or under $1000 - regardless of whether you go Mac or Windows (or decide to scrap them both for Linux). Personally, when I bought a laptop, I got the base model, 1st Gen MacBook with a gig of RAM. It provides all of the above and has served me very well. I have been nothing but quite happy with it (and no virus or spyware problems despite heavy web browsing since I bought it).

If you want a laptop to replace your TV for movie watching, a laptop to replace your computer for game playing, etc., and really only intend to move it here and there throughout your house for occasional web-surfing from various rooms - well, then I'm going to say that even though you're shopping for a laptop, you may want to consider a desktop.

You see, you can either pay a premium to get a super-sexy laptop with an Nvidia card and the ultrabright 20" screen that does all the above, or you can make the move that makes more fiscal sense and buy the killer desktop.

Ya know, as a suggestion, if you want to go the latter route, you *can* buy a great desktop in a small case. This way, you can build a great PC fairly cheap (compared to the high-end laptops - maybe in the $1500 range) that'll last you a long while (don't listen to the gamer nerds who tell you that a gaming computer is obsolete within 6 months... I bought mine about three years ago and I can still crank up the graphics in games like Oblivion), you only give up a little in regard to room within the case, and it's still fairly portable - albeit not laptop portable. Just a thought.

It really sounds like, from reading your post, you want to go with the more ultraportable solution, though. So like I said, stick to the basics: 5+ hours of battery, under 5 lbs. of weight, and a size somewhere close to 12 inches.

Archived