Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What kind of gun should I buy?

THEArmchairQB

I was mugged at gun point about a month ago and I have decided to get my concealed carry permit and a pistol. I have used firearms from time to time since I was a kid, but I've never owned my own. I know I want something compact that I can carry fully concealed. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend somewhere between 3 and 4 hundred dollars.

To the gun toters, what do you suggest?

I'm going to Greentop on Wednesday to buy it.

You're not going to get anything real good as far as a carry gun for that kind of money. I'd look at 38 special revolver maybe. There is one S&W import that is a carry automatic in 9mm or .40 S&W with a synthetic frame that would be in that range. Not sure about how good it is though.

MSF will come around here shortly and tell all you'll want to know.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend somewhere between 3 and 4 hundred dollars.
You're not going to get anything real good as far as a carry gun for that kind of money.

Wow. Guns are expensive.

I like some of the small .45's. But I would guess most of those would be out of your price range. A .380 of some type would probably be your best bet.

Here is one to check out, Tauras makes a decent inexpensive gun.

TAURUS PT-145 MILLENIUM PRO .45 ACP BLUED

I've been looking at the Tauruses. I don't know much about handguns outside of the really good ones being Glocks or Springfields or H&Ks.

Are the second or third tier manufacturered weapons as realiable as the top of the line?

I've been looking at the Tauruses. I don't know much about handguns outside of the really good ones being Glocks or Springfields or H&Ks.

Are the second or third tier manufacturered weapons as realiable as the top of the line?

In a word, no. In some cases if you do your homework you can find a good model such as a taurus that can have a great gun in their line. But as a rule you get what you pay for.

There are really 2 issues, accuracy and propensity to jam. You have to reasearch the gun you want in regards to both. Most inexpensive guns are somewhat less accurate and the trigger pulls are much rougher than more expensive guns. Jamming if you do your research can be caused by even a certain brand of ammo. If you do plan on getting a gun you need to invest the time researching the pistol you want.

Or ask MSF. :laugh:

Pretty much what I figured.

How many of you have bought used handguns?

I don't feel comfortable buying used guns because I am not knowledgeble enough to feel comfortable doing that. I have a freind who is a FFL holder and gunsmith. Been best friends since 10th grade. He just lets me use whatever I want of his. My favorite gun of his is a Dan Wesson .357 revolver that he redid the trigger on and put on a short barrel. I just love that gun. Used to shoot cmpetition with it using .38 paper cutters. Also shot with a Colt Gold Cup that he redid. It was sweet.

I was mugged at gun point about a month ago and I have decided to get my concealed carry permit and a pistol. I have used firearms from time to time since I was a kid, but I've never owned my own. I know I want something compact that I can carry fully concealed. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I am willing to spend somewhere between 3 and 4 hundred dollars.

To the gun toters, what do you suggest?

I'm going to Greentop on Wednesday to buy it.

That would suck if you had to use it...what are the laws in your state for using a legal concealed gun? what of you killed the assailant, what is the law for that in your state (could it be manslaughter)?

-Grant

Decent choice, and there is something to be said for revolvers. To shoot semi auto's for protection you need to practice fairly often and know what to do with a jam quickly. Revolvers never jam.

Yep,as far as concealed carry and strictly personal protection it is gonna be hard to beat....fires nice too.

I prefer the Glock or my combat commander to reach out and touch someone ;) ,but not for his situation.

That would suck if you had to use it...what are the laws in your state for using a legal concealed gun? what of you killed the assailant, what is the law for that in your state (could it be manslaughter)?

-Grant

I was robbed at gunpoint in my driveway. I live in VA so I could have shot and killed him and I doubt there would have been charges pressed.

Like my uncle always said, "Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six!"

I was robbed at gunpoint in my driveway. I live in VA so I could have shot and killed him and I doubt there would have been charges pressed.

Like my uncle always said, "Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six!"

That what I was about to say. Its a completely different ballgame when someone breaks into your home and threatens you and your family. Firing a concealed gun in public is a completely different ball of wax (even if its legal for you to carry the gun). BTW that was a good motto :silly:

-Grant

What caliber does anybody recommend? I started looking at the 9mm and have looked at guns chambered for either the .40 or the .45.

This is for protection so I guess stopping power is something that is important. What is the most important spec in determining 'stopping power'? Is it muzzle velocity or caliber?

What caliber does anybody recommend? I started looking at the 9mm and have looked at guns chambered for either the .40 or the .45.

This is for protection so I guess stopping power is something that is important. What is the most important spec in determining 'stopping power'? Is it muzzle velocity or caliber?

It's a combination. To much muzzle velocity and it just goes through cleanly. Thats why I like the .45. It is a realtively slow moving large projectile that imparts all it's energy to the target. It will knock someone back when hit.

Archived