Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rothlisberger awarded new contract...

WhoRUSupposed2Be

Man...they just set the bar for paying QBs. If Rothlispickle got 36 mill, Brady's agent should be on the phone with Kraft right now demanding 50 mill guaranteed. That is a riDICULOUS amount of money for mid-level QB. Ri-damn-diculous.

I don't even see Big Ben as a Top 3 QB in the NFL. So making that money is going to be a joke in a few years.

I think with the rising contracts for players these days, this was to be expected. The premium for a franchise QB is so high, and while Roethlisberger isn't a top 5 QB, keep in mind he's still young and he did lead the Steelers to the Super Bowl in his 2nd season.

I mean, Romo sits to pee got a big pay day after just one decent season and putting some nice numbers in the first few weeks of the season.

That said, man he's making alot of money ...

My question is: "had he not won a Super Bowl, would he still warrant this type of cash?"

Probably not. This is also the issue of paying a not-quite superstar with superstar money. However, in the Steelers case, they've had him for 4 seasons now, and while he didn't light it up until 2007, he's still been solid and fairly consistent. Injured, yes, but consistent otherwise, sure.

Basically you have a guy who has physical tools and has won a super bowl, but is not up there with Brady or Manning or even Carson. However, for the Steelers, he is the consistent guy you want to keep. Plus, he'll probably get better when they add another good WR threat, which could be in this draft alone.

My question is: "had he not won a Super Bowl, would he still warrant this type of cash?"

Probably not, but he did and that's pretty much the hope of any FO when they draft a QB: This guy can lead us to a championship.

We might see this kind of cash doled out for Eli if he continues his progression.

Yeesh.

As much as I want the Redskins to have a franchise QB and hope Campbell fulfills his promise, the numbers are getting staggering.

If Campbell does well next season and the Redskins sign him to a long-term extension, if they can get away with <= $25M in guarantees, it'll feel like stealing.

THIS is the looming cap crisis for the Redskins. It's kind of a catch-22 situation. Having an elite QB can set your team up for long-term success, but it can wreak havoc on the salary structure. You can't assume that every guy is going to be like Brady and take less than what he is probably worth. Campbell, should he get to that level, will probably want a similar type of contract as this. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Redskins are basing their current plans looking through the lens of this possibility.

He's a young QB who has a Super Bowl ring and who just came off a legitimately great season (32 TDs/11 Ints). And he is still making lesson than Palmer who signed a huge deal two years ago.

Palmer is a better QB. And while Palmer's "total" number is higher (118 vs. 102), its the guaranteed money that counts, and I think Rothlispickle's 36 mill in guarantees is more than what Palmer got. Christ, its more than what Manning got (34.5).

I think we're underrating Ben Roethlisberger here.

His ROOKIE season, his QB rating was 98.1. His SOPHOMORE season, when they won the Super Bowl, his QB rating was 98.6. His JUNIOR season, when he got into that retarded motorcycle accident, his QB rating was 75.4. But last year, his rating was 104.1.

He's only been in the league for four years.

Palmer is a better QB. And while Palmer's "total" number is higher (118 vs. 102), its the guaranteed money that counts, and I think Rothlispickle's 36 mill in guarantees is more than what Palmer got. Christ, its more than what Manning got (34.5).

True, but Manning's bonus was in 2002 when the salary cap was something like $84 million.

The cap has gone up over 40 percent since then.

Ben R. is probably the most over-rated QB in the NFL. His success is the product of being asked to do less than the average QB is asked to do, which is throw the ball. If he's to be considered a top 5 QB, then his numbers should represent that he can perform well when asked to pass an avg amount. The avg in the NFL during Ben's career is 30 attempt per game. When he is asked to actually throw the ball an average amount, his numbers drop like a rock. Here are some stats:

70% of his career games, he's attempted fewer than the NFL average of 30 passes, and his QB rating is 105.7

30% of his career games he's been asked to throw at or above the NFL average of 30 passes and his QB rating drops to 71.5. (and he's 5-12)

So, if Ben Roethlisberger has to actually throw the ball like an average QB (not even top 10), his numbers are far from impressive. Seems to me like he's the product of a system that doesn't ask the QB to do very much.

Some other comparable QB's numbers from 2004-2007:

Brees- 68% of games above avg attempts. 91.8 rating

Palmer-70% of games above avg attempts. 91.5 rating

Hasselbeck-64% of games above avg attempts. 85.3 rating

I won't even bother with Brady and Peyton Manning.

So, these other QB's not only have to throw more often, but do it better. If only they had the luxury of not being asked to do too much, imagine their QB ratings! For $100 million, I'd sure like to be able to put the ball in my QB's hands and get better than a 71.5 rating in return.

Ben R. is probably the most over-rated QB in the NFL. His success is the product of being asked to do less than the average QB is asked to do, which is throw the ball. If he's to be considered a top 5 QB, then his numbers should represent that he can perform well when asked to pass an avg amount. The avg in the NFL during Ben's career is 30 attempt per game. When he is asked to actually throw the ball an average amount, his numbers drop like a rock. Here are some stats:

70% of his career games, he's attempted fewer than the NFL average of 30 passes, and his QB rating is 105.7

30% of his career games he's been asked to throw at or above the NFL average of 30 passes and his QB rating drops to 71.5. (and he's 5-12)

So, if Ben Roethlisberger has to actually throw the ball like an average QB (not even top 10), his numbers are far from impressive. Seems to me like he's the product of a system that doesn't ask the QB to do very much.

Those are some interesting numbers!

Still, if he fits in with the success of the Steelers, maybe he is worth that much. Thanks for the post, though.

Those are some interesting numbers!

Still, if he fits in with the success of the Steelers, maybe he is worth that much. Thanks for the post, though.

To the Steelers, and their fans, I guess he is worth that much. But they're dilusional to think that he's done something that no one else could ever dream of doing. Truth is, the stats show that several other QB's in the league could do as much, if not more, in that situation. And thus, he's not a top 5 QB. Really, only time will tell, but in my estimation, the real evidence thus far does not lean in favor of paying him $100 mil.

The real question is how many times the word "motorcycle" was written in the $100 mil contract?

Archived