Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Draft Skewed

Genghis Khan

I think Bill Polian is right. The NFL need to cap these high 1st rounders, or get some compensation if the player turns into a bust. I know this has happened to the skins before and many other NFL teams.

I feel these draft players need to earn it, Its not right that a player has been playing there butts off and this wet behind the ears rookie is making double then he is and never even played in a NFL game. That player becomes rich even if he never plays a NFL down. Make these guys earn there pay, also I think if you cap these guys I really think the total money for all players will come down. Seems like there is major inflation problem in the NFL right now!!!

Thanks for posting good read

I agree there should be a cap for the picks. You limit what they can be paid and you limit their initial contract to three years. That way the guy isn't languishing with a rookie contract for 7 years if he's a stud/ the team doesn't have a high dollar long term contract to worry about if the dude is underachieving. The drafting team then has first rights to signing the guy to a long term contract. If they choose not to, or the two sides can't come to an agreement, then the players may hit the open market.

Something like that.

I said this last year, and got bashed for it by some buddies... So here it goes.

I truly believe the NFL should set the contract for each number pick. All first day picks would be a 3 year deal, 2nd day picks would be 2 year deals (in case they outperform their 7th round contract deal-see Marques Colston). Each pick would have a set price. This would stop these ridiculous holdouts through training camp, and eliminate the guaranteed money-half of which will be for complete busts. :2cents:

Polian says he is better off without a top 10 pick in the draft. Gee, I wonder if he felt that way the year they drafted Peyton Manning.

Polian has some very good philosophies when it comes to the draft, but dismissing the importance a top 10 pick can have is a bit hypocritical since a top 10 pick, Peyton Manning, is the reason why they don't need top 10 picks now. Peyton Manning allows the team to "slack" on areas of need, and not be in need of that top 10 pick player. For example, the Colts had the 2nd worst rushing D in 2006 when they won the Superbowl. But Peyton Manning and his 31 TDs certainly helped make up for it.

Archived