Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The offensive line,depth, and youth (merged)

joanieloveschachi

With our new offense and the age of our line this team needs to spend our third or 5th rounder this year on a new guard/center who needs little development and is ready to go by 2009. I love Thomas and Kindall but they're getting up there in age. I really believe it was mainly the line's injuries and struggles with Seattle that cost us our last two playoff games. Thomas was out for both of them, and Heyer was dominated by Kerney this year. I'm also hoping we resign Fabini and Pucillo to one year deals as depth for this season. It's getting to expensive to pick up a starter in Free agency so this years draft is huge. I like Heyer and Wade for tackle depth this year and Heyer as future permanent starter(1-2 years away) I think we can wait until the draft next year to spend a higher pick on a tackle for more depth. As good as that Giants d-line has gotten we need to be prepared. I know we've missed in free agency on alot of players over the years but to my knowledge our defensive line choices(through free agency) under Gibbs have all worked out to be good or okay. We stopped that Dallas line with several pro-bowlers and held them to one yard rushing. I hope we go WR or CB in the first round and second rounds. I think we should get our defensive ends in Free agency from proven players and save our early picks on WR and CB. People act like the sky is falling with our d-line but I disagree. I wish we'd give kearse a shot if the contract isn't rediculous. They say it takes two years for a major injury to come back. He may be worth the risk.

I agree with most of what your saying, but I think the first round pick must be a DE. The class is deep this year and the FA pool is thin. We can get Hackett in FA and resign Caldwell and get a DE and CB with picks 1 and 2. We definitely should draft some young o-line in the later rounds as you suggest.

With our new offense and the age of our line this team needs to spend our third or 5th rounder this year on a new guard/center who needs little development and is ready to go by 2009. I love Thomas and Kindall but they're getting up there in age. I really believe it was mainly the line's injuries and struggles with Seattle that cost us our last two playoff games. Thomas was out for both of them, and Heyer was dominated by Kerney this year. I'm also hoping we resign Fabini and Pucillo to one year deals as depth for this season. It's getting to expensive to pick up a starter in Free agency so this years draft is huge. I like Heyer and Wade for tackle depth this year and Heyer as future permanent starter(1-2 years away) I think we can wait until the draft next year to spend a higher pick on a tackle for more depth. As good as that Giants d-line has gotten we need to be prepared. I know we've missed in free agency on alot of players over the years but to my knowledge our defensive line choices(through free agency) under Gibbs have all worked out to be good or okay. We stopped that Dallas line with several pro-bowlers and held them to one yard rushing. I hope we go WR or CB in the first round and second rounds. I think we should get our defensive ends in Free agency from proven players and save our early picks on WR and CB. People act like the sky is falling with our d-line but I disagree. I wish we'd give kearse a shot if the contract isn't rediculous. They say it takes two years for a major injury to come back. He may be worth the risk.

I also feel that in the 09 draft we draft at least two OL in the first four rounds

I agree with most of what your saying, but I think the first round pick must be a DE. The class is deep this year and the FA pool is thin. We can get Hackett in FA and resign Caldwell and get a DE and CB with picks 1 and 2. We definitely should draft some young o-line in the later rounds as you suggest.

A) We don't need to draft a DE in the first round. We can go WR, DE, G, or even CB.

B) Hackett and Caldwell hardly fill that big WR hole. I don't know how big Hackett is, but he keeps getting injured. Caldwell is far from a Big Playmaker.

C) If we go CB in the first 3 round, all rounds afterwards must be devoted to OL, for the sake of depth. WR, DE, and CB would have been taken care of in the 1st 3 rounds.

Value at #21 DL vs OL is a project vs best in draft at his position if we can get Brandon Albert. A pass rushing DT at #2 like Trevor Law then CB or WR at #3 depending on what we do in FA.

2009 anothe OL drafted high and a DE and we are looking good medium term.

Don't do that now and we will struggle because our division is tough now and getting better with good DLs and OLs being central.

It sounds good, but.............

oline oline o line. our wr need is no where as needy as our oline. resign caldwell and strengthen the line and we can do plenty of damage with this crew. with an oline you can give time for a young qb and holes to a rb.we need guards, center and tackles. theres not a wr coming out that would be as important to us as a starting quality olineman. if a williams of johnson caliber wr then yes. time to regroup on the big uglies. can't keep rolling the dice on this old oline. samuels is the only durable guy we've had. kendall is ready for social security, rabach is a good but not great center, thomas can't stay healthy and neither can jansen. talent is definetly there. but so is the age and the inability to stay healthy. janson maybe done, hope not but maybe. kendall has maybe 2 years maybe. rabach's ability is only going to decrease, and thomas is smallish guard who's getting older and can't stay healthy. and we all know about janson. we are lieing to ourselves and ignoring the past if we say our line is not an area of need. probably the biggest.

I also agree. I like the idea of a WR in FA, DE in rd.1, CB or OL in rd 2 (which ever position has the best player available at this pick), CB or OL in rd 3.

Hopefully a LB and another OL in the later part of the draft

I agree with this scenario very much.

This draft is deep at most positions exept Safety, we could get a good interior lineman in the 2nd round, if you count 6 DE, 4 CB, 3 QB, 7 OT, 5 RB, and 3 LB, thats 28 1st round picks projected, where are the Guards one of them thats very good should be there with are 2nd pick.....

Scouts Inc. said that the Defensive End and Wide Receiver positions were incredibly deep this year, luckily for us. I still think we should go cornerback in round 1. We can always grab an end and a receiver in rounds 2 and 3. Use day 2 for O-line depth and whatever other needs we have.

I like the idea of moving Springs to safety if we keep him, but is he durable enough to be a SS, making 100+ tackles a year? Might be better to stick him at FS and move Landry back in the box.

If we needed starters on the OL I would say draft a guard in rounds 1 or 2. But what we need right now is depth and youth with the potential to start down the road and that can be had in the mid and late rounds, especially at guard since that position isn't top heavy at all in this draft. Debatable if there's a guard worthy of a first round pick.

oline oline o line. our wr need is no where as needy as our oline. resign caldwell and strengthen the line and we can do plenty of damage with this crew. with an oline you can give time for a young qb and holes to a rb.we need guards, center and tackles. theres not a wr coming out that would be as important to us as a starting quality olineman. if a williams of johnson caliber wr then yes. time to regroup on the big uglies. can't keep rolling the dice on this old oline. samuels is the only durable guy we've had. kendall is ready for social security, rabach is a good but not great center, thomas can't stay healthy and neither can jansen. talent is definetly there. but so is the age and the inability to stay healthy. janson maybe done, hope not but maybe. kendall has maybe 2 years maybe. rabach's ability is only going to decrease, and thomas is smallish guard who's getting older and can't stay healthy. and we all know about janson. we are lieing to ourselves and ignoring the past if we say our line is not an area of need. probably the biggest.

I truely feel the same way. Protection, Protection , Protection. Everything else is can be handled over time. If we dont set up a core group that can step in during our frequuent and paralyzing injureys then we still can't produce on offense. This is a must due to our recent past.

Everything else has options. A youth movement in oline will aid in our future more than anything else at this moment.

I agree 100%. The idea that you can take the bottom end of the draft and build a class OLine has been disproved time and again by the Skins themselves. How many times have we drafted an OLineman in the 5th round or later only to see them make the practice squad. In the past 10 years we have drafted 3 offensive linemen in the first 3 rounds. New England has drafted 8 in that same time period. Every OL we drafted past the 3rd round never played a down in a Redskin uniform. For those who think Heyer is a diamond in the rough: in the Seattle game we held back our number one receiver (Cooley) and Portis to help him block. This is not a good sign that Heyer is somehow going to be the future. A good OT can stand alone in his first year, just like Samuels and Jansen did. A poor OT is what we have in Heyer and Wade. Make Heyer a project if you want, but don't depend on him to be a first string OT.

A good Oline helps to keep your offensive backfield healthy. Give Portis a hole to run through, get some downfield blcoking by the line and instead of trying to run over 300 pound DT's he's running over 200 pound safeties and CB's. Give JC 5 seconds for a wide receiver to get open instead of 2.5 and watch him find every open receiver we have.

If they leave us with the same OL we had this year, expect more of the same: injuries to 2 or 3 of them, bring in the second string, hope that holding back half of your offensive waepons can give your QB time to throw.

If you really want a significant difference in the offense in less than two years, do what the 82 and 83 redskins did (the two greatest offensive juggernauts the Redskins ever had). Draft OL as your first two picks. It takes about half a year for an OL to click. Bring in a guard in the first round and a center/guard combo in the second. OT is deep this year and we can still find one in the 3rd round. This way your OL is set for the next 10 years. Then, and only then, start drafting all of these 6'+ WR's. You don't put on the roof until you have the foundation built.

It sounds good, but.............

Could not agree with you more Limas Sweed NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS to be a redskin, I know a lot of people are concerned with his wrist but I am telling you that if the redskins draft this guy they will not be dissapointed. DRAFT LIMAS SWEED!

Could not agree with you more Limas Sweed NEEDS NEEDS NEEDS to be a redskin, I know a lot of people are concerned with his wrist but I am telling you that if the redskins draft this guy they will not be dissapointed. DRAFT LIMAS SWEED!

Have you guys watched Sweed?

He is overrated because of his size and straightline speed. The guy is just like Rod Gardner terrible in and out of breaks and won't get seperation in the NFL. Go look at his numbers the guy has'nt even caught 50 passes in 1 season has he?

Draft Branden Albert in rd 1 and be done period. A 10-12 year starter and eventual probowl guard is alot better for this franchise then taking a gamble on a Wr who has a 50/50 chance of doing anything.

Agree with Samuels - Albert is going to have a great career and is a safe pick, and I guarantee that at least one good cb/wr/Dl will fall to us in round 2. He can also play Tackle so gives great versatility. I'd also like to see us take an O-lineman with a 5th or 6th who could backup a spot this year and contest for a starting job next year. Part of the reason Todd Colins was able to play so well, was that after loosing Campbell they woke up and blocked their asses off, but then were Sleepy in Seatle. Also comparing the O-line v D-line talent in recent drafts, O-line seems to have made more of an impact straight away. I think that while our O-line is old, they have a season or two left, but if we don't start gradualy changing it now, we'll end up having to completely change it in a year or two's time.

My opinion is lets really beef up the o-line and run hog wild like the good ole days! Our defense is above average and portis and betts are a good combo to wear down defenses. I think in todays game it would work cause Every team is looking for speed not power. What do you think?

A team eats up a lot of clock with that type of game. If the defense can hand out a butt whiping every time, it could work. I'd hate to see CP on the sidelines though gulping down oxygen.

I'd like the Skins to be much more efficient in the passing game before we turn to pounding the ball. Pounding the ball can definitely win games but only after we are up by 21 points. 14 points is nothing in today's NFL.

Archived